• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Pre-Season 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The goal of pre season games is not to win them..... now is the time to experiment with team lineups and tactics. And for guys like Mkhi to show they have more in their game.

If Emery is honestly considering Mkhi as a CM option alongside Xhaka, Torreira, Douzi, and Willock then I think it made sense for him to play CM today. However, I think it is pretty obvious from Mkhi's entire career that he does not play CM, so I'm not sure what would be the benefit of trying Mkhi there when we have Willock, Burton, and Olaynika pushing for minutes in the first team.

Preseason isn't just about winning, but making decisions that are hard to explain and clearly lead to losing is still a problem.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I was at the match today, and Emery's decision to play Mkhi at CM to start the second half completely changed the match for the worse. Madrid completely dominated the midfield and we struggled to retain possession. Madrid scored their two goals during that time.

Willock played much better at CM than Mkhi, and then when Burton came on for Mkhi we looked a lot better too.

Not sure if Mustafi had an injury, but it is encouraging that Chambers played the entire match and Monreal looked okay at CB.

I honestly don't understand what Emery was thinking when he played Mkhi at CM. Really strange, and bad, decision.

it was 10 against 10 game and Unai wanted to get those players big linutes today for their fitness.
if you're playing with 10 man, but have Laca Auba Micki and Özil on, Micki basically ends up as CM automatically.
nothing strange there due to circumstances

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Mkhitaryan please, I really hope he doesn't get too many minutes this year, he was hardly trying out there, if he does play it has to be behind the striker as a #10 I think, he's not good as a winger & there is no way he can play deeper. Xhaka was dead by the end but unfortunately if he is going to be part captain I hardly see him coming off unfortunately so we may have to get use to it. If he does play 90 it will certainly have to be paired with a fit & energetic guy.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Didn't watch the match, but the highlights make it look like Jenks had a decent game. Will he be better than AMN for the backup rb position.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
it was 10 against 10 game and Unai wanted to get those players big linutes today for their fitness.
if you're playing with 10 man, but have Laca Auba Micki and Özil on, Micki basically ends up as CM automatically.
nothing strange there due to circumstances

Right, but he made a sub at halftime and took off Willock for Monreal. After Sokratis' red card, Xhaka dropped back to CB, and Willock was our only CM.

Emery could have easily kept Willock on and subbed out Mkhi for Monreal.

Yes, if you're going to have Laca, PEA, Mkhi, and Özil on the field when we are down to 10 men then Mkhi will probably play CM out of those four, but we didn't have to have those four on the field. Mkhi can't play CM. Therefore if the option is to either play Mkhi at CM or have a CM, such as Willock, play CM, it would make more sense to play Willock instead of Mkhi.

That's the point of the entire post.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Defensively still looking vulnerable as ever. At this stage id rather give youth a chance in the forward positions and get a LB and a CB. Why do we find it so difficult to find decent defenders. Our whole backline in every position is suspect there's no one in it can be trusted.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Usually when a team goes down to 10 men because of a red card for a defender, a forward gets taken off for . Real did it in this very game by bringing off Jovic for Varane. Rarely do I see a central midfielder getting hooked. Subbing Willock meant we couldn't get out of our half for about 20-25 minutes.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Our seniors once again look pretty disgraceful bar a few. Xhaka and Mkhi in particular. Kola looked defensively * from the highlights.

Mhki should be like 5th choice winger. Xhaka will play most games so already going to be angry going in to most games ffs.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Right, but he made a sub at halftime and took off Willock for Monreal. After Sokratis' red card, Xhaka dropped back to CB, and Willock was our only CM.

Emery could have easily kept Willock on and subbed out Mkhi for Monreal.

Yes, if you're going to have Laca, PEA, Mkhi, and Özil on the field when we are down to 10 men then Mkhi will probably play CM out of those four, but we didn't have to have those four on the field. Mkhi can't play CM. Therefore if the option is to either play Mkhi at CM or have a CM, such as Willock, play CM, it would make more sense to play Willock instead of Mkhi.

That's the point of the entire post.

I get your point but it is a friendly game. You must look at that and the big pixture about the game.
it's like saying why didnt we make subs at 60th minute like Real....
because it's a friendly and we have a plan, where result is not priority. If Unai went fir a result he would do different subs/tactical changes

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
It’s a small thing, but disappointed Nketiah didn’t step up to take a pen.. Did not expect him to shy away like that.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
the US tour showed us we are very good team going forward but bad defensively and average in the middle we scored 10 goals in 4 games and that very good but still conceded many chances and 3 goals because of silly mistakes and inability to defend. The Tierney signing and CB become more important it won't solve the problem quickly but it will improve our defense.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Mavro seem to have constant injury problems. I just wonder if it's to do with training intensity after going from Greek league to prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom