• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matteo Guendouzi: Lad of Luscious Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divided_Pie

Great article thanks for the link.

Of particular importance are these bits:

"Of course, with such a broad range, there is usually a big drawback, like decision-making – something his teammate, Xhaka, suffers from. But that seems far from the case. Only on rare occasions, where his lack of pre-emptive scanning has stopped him from assessing both sides properly, has he taken up the wrong option. His intelligence in knowing which pass to play is another big plus point. The numbers support this as well. Only Xhaka and Özil progressed the ball more frequently from deep positions than Guendouzi did."

"Unfortunately, defending is probably the pitfall of Guendouzi. The infrequency at which he scans the pitch, and his subsequent awareness, is at its worst during defensive phases. His non-existent scanning leads to all sorts of trouble when defending in any capacity."

The takeaways are:

1) He plays like Xhaka, but better in most ways
2) Defensively he is a liability, just like Xhaka
3) Doesn't work well as a partner with Xhaka
4) Would work best on the left side paired with Torreira, who can cover some of his defensive deficiencies

Xhaka really needs to be binned, or at least relegated to the bench. Ideally we could bring in a complete holding midfielder to replace Xhaka and pair with Torreira while Guendouzi develops as the 3rd CM. IMO this should be our #1 priority in the transfer market.

OSBK

Established Member
Unreal the kid is 20 years old and stepped up from park football to pushing for a CL place. Love his attitude and arrogance and wish the rest of our youth had that and we would be in a much better place.

ASIF

What I like about Matteo is that he is not scared and demands the ball trying to keep the tempo up.Hardly passes sideways and has that feel of a special player.what I dont like about him is that he is always looking for that special through ball and gives the ball away way to much.Hope he learns to pick his moment then we have a potential world class mid in the making.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
What I like about Matteo is that he is not scared and demands the ball trying to keep the tempo up.Hardly passes sideways and has that feel of a special player.what I dont like about him is that he is always looking for that special through ball and gives the ball away way to much.Hope he learns to pick his moment then we have a potential world class mid in the making.
Agree with everything here. He also must develop more power.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Great article thanks for the link.

Of particular importance are these bits:

"Of course, with such a broad range, there is usually a big drawback, like decision-making – something his teammate, Xhaka, suffers from. But that seems far from the case. Only on rare occasions, where his lack of pre-emptive scanning has stopped him from assessing both sides properly, has he taken up the wrong option. His intelligence in knowing which pass to play is another big plus point. The numbers support this as well. Only Xhaka and Özil progressed the ball more frequently from deep positions than Guendouzi did."

"Unfortunately, defending is probably the pitfall of Guendouzi. The infrequency at which he scans the pitch, and his subsequent awareness, is at its worst during defensive phases. His non-existent scanning leads to all sorts of trouble when defending in any capacity."

The takeaways are:

1) He plays like Xhaka, but better in most ways
2) Defensively he is a liability, just like Xhaka
3) Doesn't work well as a partner with Xhaka
4) Would work best on the left side paired with Torreira, who can cover some of his defensive deficiencies

Xhaka really needs to be binned, or at least relegated to the bench. Ideally we could bring in a complete holding midfielder to replace Xhaka and pair with Torreira while Guendouzi develops as the 3rd CM. IMO this should be our #1 priority in the transfer market.

Honestly his lack of awareness or scanning means he is already at a disadvantage , technically he is lacking in a few important areas as a mid . Going to take a lot of work .

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Honestly his lack of awareness or scanning means he is already at a disadvantage , technically he is lacking in a few important areas as a mid . Going to take a lot of work .
Possibly but these are aspects of the game that virtually any player can improve on if they simply adjust their thinking on the pitch and in training. Interesting analysis though. I agree with it.

nick gould

Today was timely reminder of how good Guendouzi can be. So classy on the ball. He demands the ball even when his markers are close by. He can play quick one touch passes, he can turn and dribble, he can also play beautiful long balls and through balls. Looks classier than that rabiot already. My question is, is he going to be a box to box or deep lying playmaker?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think in a balanced three or ahead/as part of a functioning two, he will have more passing options so won't need to take on so many risky passes.

Agree with Celestis. A lot lot lot of work needed to be done before he can become a good player for us.

But to be fair to him it doesn't help that he is constantly teamed up with Xhaka who just has gotten worse under Emery.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Today was timely reminder of how good Guendouzi can be. So classy on the ball. He demands the ball even when his markers are close by. He can play quick one touch passes, he can turn and dribble, he can also play beautiful long balls and through balls. Looks classier than that rabiot already. My question is, is he going to be a box to box or deep lying playmaker?
Should be some form of the latter IMO. Thought he did a good job of progressing the play and playing good passes, as well as getting into good positions to receive. He's much more effective in deeper areas - my one problem is really his propensity to try and buy fouls in those deep areas rather than letting the ball go and looking to move again. It's a decent way to slow the game down but if he's tackled well then it puts us on the backfoot immediately.

This only happened once today and he did very well otherwise. I was impressed.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I was very impressed with Matteo from time to time last season but there was also plenty of games where he just was not quite up for it. Understandable, given the jump from Ligue 2 to Arsenal and his age.

But what always struck me is the sheer willpower the lad seems to have. The will to never hide from a game, a trait that is often lost of much more older and experienced players.

Think he will become real special in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom