• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Tbh, I wouldn't mind him staying as long as Jenks, Mustafi and Elneny are gone. Maybe, we'd be okay without a RB not coming and as an option for defensive midfield for the season.

zilfy

But why wouldn't he get a look in at DH? All our c mid options (excluding torreira) are 6's and 8's. The defensive abilities of douzi, xhaka and willock aren't strong enough to play that defensive mid spot in the absence of Lucas- could be a good back up for him

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Hard to see him establishing himself here as a starter. Worth keeping around, but I feel as though we need to cash in next summer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If we bring in a CB (even a loan) and get offers for Chambers, I'd let him go now. You could argue he's worth keeping as Bellerin back up but we may as well use AMN for that role and see if he has a future with us. Chambers has been around too long for us to still be asking questions about him.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Feels like you're cheating on me lately. :eek:
Is there someone else?

tenor.gif

leo9903

I'd like for us to give him a chance at RB and DM as backup. AMN clearly isn't comfortable there, and Chambers has been decent so far. Plus, any brainfarts on RB/DM position has a bit less impact on a game than CB.

I think Wenger used to see the guy as a RB who can slot in CB rather than a CB first and foremost. I've also been checking out Fulham's forum on and off during last season and saw they've been quite happy with his DM performance as opposed to his initial run in CB.

truth_hurts

It's a tricky one as we want to protect or increase his value - this only happens with sufficient game time and impressive performances. The downside is he isn't good enough to be any more than back up for us.

He can be a poor man's Eric Dier. Eurghhh that was painful to write.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If we don't sell him or loan him then I feel we should have sold Xhaka and use Chambers as a DM, not starting but as a squad player. Xhaka shouldn't be starting anyway and Chambers could cover RB/CB as well. We could have used Xhaka money to buy a CB.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I'd like for us to give him a chance at RB and DM as backup. AMN clearly isn't comfortable there, and Chambers has been decent so far. Plus, any brainfarts on RB/DM position has a bit less impact on a game than CB.

I think Wenger used to see the guy as a RB who can slot in CB rather than a CB first and foremost. I've also been checking out Fulham's forum on and off during last season and saw they've been quite happy with his DM performance as opposed to his initial run in CB.

Not sure where to start with this.

If you remember when he joined, he was thrown straight into CL qualifiers and put in a MoTM away at Besiktas.

Had a good run at CB then due to a Bellerin injury was switched to right back where his lack of pace got brutally exposed, in one particular game away at Swansea. His confidence was destroyed.

As a more general point, it’s very hard for young players to develop and mature when they are in and out of the team making cameos in different roles. They have to adjust to a new dynamic/partnership with the players and are given very little bandwidth for error.

He’s no less uncomfortable at RB than Ainsley. Buy a proper RB if we don’t have one.

leo9903

Not sure where to start with this.

If you remember when he joined, he was thrown straight into CL qualifiers and put in a MoTM away at Besiktas.

Had a good run at CB then due to a Bellerin injury was switched to right back where his lack of pace got brutally exposed, in one particular game away at Swansea. His confidence was destroyed.

As a more general point, it’s very hard for young players to develop and mature when they are in and out of the team making cameos in different roles. They have to adjust to a new dynamic/partnership with the players and are given very little bandwidth for error.

He’s no less uncomfortable at RB than Ainsley. Buy a proper RB if we don’t have one.
Based on preseason I'd say he's a bit more comfortable at RB compared to AMN. As it is, I'd rather have him as a backup for RB and DM while we wait for Bellerin, and AMN could develop further on loan since he would be a better attacker than a defender.

I don't think the current management is looking to buy a RB for now as well, not that I'd opposed to getting a better one mind you. I just think that we have a more pressing concern that a starting RB, hence it would make sense to keep him. I still believe there's a good player in there.

truth_hurts

Chambers is a steady enough right back, but Niles is so much better going forward. I don't have faith in either. Strangely Mustafi should have been our rb and cb cover, but he's finished here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom