• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Right now I’m leaning towards selling Iwobi and leaving the LW as a battleground between Martinelli, Saka, Nelson, Mkhi, Özil.

Would be tempting to sell Iwobi for 40M and go straight for Zaha/Coutinho but that would absolutely end some careers here. Nelson would definitely have to go on loan if we did that and Özil would actually be a bench player. :lol:
Love that thought. I like Iwobi as a person and a player. He just does not seem to be cut out to make it here. Needs a loan at least to build some confidence.

Replacing him with youth rather then a mercenary sends out a strong signal that there is hope for academy players.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Think weve plenty of options to play on the wing if necessary.

Özil, Ceballos, Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Nelson, ERS and Martinelli.

The only way some of these guys will improve is by playing and with plenty of options they wont be needed for a full season. Early round Europa and league cup games. Plus making the bench occasionally in PL games.

There's only one winger there and none of them are as good defensively as Iwobi . We'd have to dip into the market.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

There's only one winger there and none of them are as good defensively as Iwobi . We'd have to dip into the market.
If we keep Iwobi do you feel he regulary starts ahead of any of those players?

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Since Everton are on a buying spree, let's quickly sell them Mkhi for a discount of 25M

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Since Everton are on a buying spree, let's quickly sell them Mkhi for a discount of 25M
I'd rather sell him to them than Iwobi, that's for sure. I'm okay with Iwobi going, but it always hurts to see go a Hale End product who has contributed so much to the first team.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

He did last year didn't he ?
He started 22 league games but last year isnt this year and 4 of those players are new or returning to us after a season or part season loan.

Weve also brought in a RW which changes the dynamics for Özil and Mkhitaryan who frequently played on the right last season. We also look to be changing shape.

40m seems like a lot of money who might play but in truth i dont think he regularly will and we will play

Aubameyang Lacazette Pepe

Ceballos( when fit) Xhaka Torreira

I take the point of last season but we are better than we were last season and with a better defensive full back may have less a need for a defensive winger.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

On top of that if there is a willingness to do a deal at 40m it suggests we dont view him as integral to our plans going forward.

He would be nice to have and we'd prefer to get rid of Özil for less money but 40m is the point where the money becomes more valuable than the player.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
On top of that if there is a willingness to do a deal at 40m it suggests we dont view him as integral to our plans going forward.

He would be nice to have and we'd prefer to get rid of Özil for less money but 40m is the point where the money becomes more valuable than the player.
Apparently Emery is a big fan of Iwobi, or at least according to John Cross.

say yes

forum master baiter
There is no guarantee Iwobi will be sold. It seems very likely we are signing these two players. They are not connected and there is no need to reinvest the Iwobi money (if it goes through) just now, especially with a January window right around the corner.

Selling Iwobi is about selling Iwobi. Is he good enough? No. Is he vital? No. Is he potential dead wood? Yes. Do we need to trim the squad? Yes. Is a key component of a transfer window buying and selling? Yes. Have we to do date sold a player for big money? No.

Iwobi could be Mkhitaryan or Özil and the above would still apply. I said in another thread fans can be emotionally invested but management cannot. In the past weve had management and upper management emotionally invested in players and it clouded their judgement and handicapped us. That cost us big money for Wilshere it cost us big money for Walcott, it cost money on extending contracts when people were done or not good enough. Iwobi ticks too many boxes not to be moved on and as above it has no relation on our moves for Tierney or Luiz.
Brilliant post mate. Middle paragraph in particular is spot on. If someone offers you big money for a player like Iwobi you take it.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
His strength on the ball ability to dribble in tight spaces and love for the club will come in handy for us this year.

I think his chances will be limited though unless it's as a wide option in a midfield 4 or part of a midfield 3. I'd have him as a starter as an out and out left winger in a 4. Down the pecking order as a cm or wide forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom