• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduardo_da_Silva

Like many of our players during the years, this is another "what if" story.

Abou, Eduardo, Ramsey, Hleb, Van Persie, Fabregas...

Always imagined they would become eternal legends, bring us many trophies, becoming Arsenal icons only to move on without making that final step. Some were transfered, some were stopped by injuries, and some like Alex never lived up to their potential. I feel we had to many of this stories, and despite this being another sad moment for me as an Arsenal fan, I feel this is a new begining. I believe that our darkest hours are behind us and in order to bring the dawn back, we need to make these tough decisions cause courage to make those is what sets you apart.

Thank you Alex for your spirit, thank You for giving us a little bit of Jay Jay magic from time to time, and more than anything thank you for loving this club. This is a rarity in modern football ( Kos says hi) , You lived your dream, and I honestly hope You will have a chance to relive it again in some other time and some different circumpstances. Go there and become the best You can be.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
On transfermarkt (which I think is quite reliable on this) they have recorded his transfer fee at around 27m pounds. If true, it's not as an amazing deal as we've made it out to be, there's a significant difference between that and the 35-40m reported elsewhere.

Iceman10

Established Member
On transfermarkt (which I think is quite reliable on this) they have recorded his transfer fee at around 27m pounds. If true, it's not as an amazing deal as we've made it out to be, there's a significant difference between that and the 35-40m reported elsewhere.

Probably important to keep a look out for some definitive truth on this because I agree that would not be good. The initial bid on Wednesday was said to be 25m + 5m addons, so was that wrong also? I don't know the relative "reliability" of transfermarkt compared with David Ornstein, who stated 35-40m. I wouldn't be happy with 27m even if there are considerable add-ons. Hopefully we got at least 30m before add-ons (total 35-40m).

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Is there any reason why you’re believing this one source above all the others? Genuine question.

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
Probably important to keep a look out for some definitive truth on this because I agree that would not be good. The initial bid on Wednesday was said to be 25m + 5m addons, so was that wrong also? I don't know the relative "reliability" of transfermarkt compared with David Ornstein, who stated 35-40m. I wouldn't be happy with 27m even if there are considerable add-ons. Hopefully we got at least 30m before add-ons (total 35-40m).
BBC says it's an initial £28m, potentially rising to £34m with add-ons. We apparently rejected an offer of £30m (I'm assuming straight up, no add-ons), so we probably feel there's a good chance Iwobi will meet the requirements for the full £34m. It's a decent amount, but then again, he's a young, homegrown player with over 100 appearances for a top 6 club, so I don't think we fleeced Everton either when you take into consideration the money in today's game.

I would rather have miki sold than iwobi
Everyone would, but that's easier said than done. Iwobi will obviously attract more buyers since he's young, with solid potential, and isn't on obscene wages.

Iceman10

Established Member
BBC says it's an initial £28m, potentially rising to £34m with add-ons. We apparently rejected an offer of £30m (I'm assuming straight up, no add-ons), so we probably feel there's a good chance Iwobi will meet the requirements for the full £34m. It's a decent amount, but then again, he's a young, homegrown player with over 100 appearances for a top 6 club, so I don't think we fleeced Everton either when you take into consideration the money in today's game.

If it gets into territory of being a reasonable price for Everton, the framing here, imho, would be we (Arsenal) didn't have to sell. One can already look at the coming opener at Newcastle* and see we are short on genuine wide forwards beyond "promising youngsters" (e.g. Reiss). It does raise questions for me and we will see how this calculated decision by the club pans out as the season progresses. Right now I have to say I have more questions than answers with that sale price (£28m + £6m addons).

(* yes, I know Iwobi likely wouldn't have been ready to start against Newcastle anyway, but it is an example of what could be perceived as us being short on genuine wide forwards options further into the fixture list)

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I hope he does well at Everton, he has an amazing talent but wasn't able to fulfill it here.
We should have given him another season because he's still very young but we also have to balance the book.

Let's play Aubamawang

When you look at stats he's a world beater. But then you watch him in action and he's infuriating. Wrong decision after wrong decision. Yes, he is still young. But if he had anything about him he would have improved his decision making by now.

Maybe he got too comfortable and this fresh start might be just what he needs? Either way, the final nail in the coffin was complaining he'd have to leave because he doesn't want competition. Did he really think we were settling for mediocre anymore after being linked with Zaha, Pepe and Everton?

I'm not sad he's gone because we can use Auba on the flank if needed and it'll give Nelson much more game time, which will be a massive boost for him.

Last edited:

Zaza

If it gets into territory of being a reasonable price for Everton, the framing here, imho, would be we (Arsenal) didn't have to sell. One can already look at the coming opener at Newcastle* and see we are short on genuine wide forwards beyond "promising youngsters" (e.g. Reiss). It does raise questions for me and we will see how this calculated decision by the club pans out as the season progresses. Right now I have to say I have more questions than answers with that sale price (£28m + £6m addons).

(* yes, I know Iwobi likely wouldn't have been ready to start against Newcastle anyway, but it is an example of what could be perceived as us being short on genuine wide forwards options further into the fixture list)
Someone who gets the point I was trying to make on the transfer thread.

Iceman10

Established Member
Someone who gets the point I was trying to make on the transfer thread.

Just saw your post over there. Earlier on Thursday all I had seen from Ornstein and others was Everton were prepared to go close to what I had in my head as an acceptable sale price, i.e. 40m (every player has his price). Then I had to get on with other stuff and only came back later on, the first deviation from 35-40m I came across was ThiRama's post above. Bit sloppy from Ornstein, uncharacteristically, that he had to backtrack somewhat from his tweet (35-40m), which I perhaps mistakenly assumed was something like 35m + 5m addons, to his later BBC article (28m + 6m).

Anyways, just saying all that because I see you were sort of alone in that transfers thread earlier with people jumping on you for going against the consensus at the time there. We'll see how things pan out. Upside perhaps is there is a great opportunity for Reiss and Saka (and Martinelli) to grab.

Last edited:

Wryer

Fantastic piece of business, regardless of how he turns out in future. People are buying emotional insurance in case he becomes a world beater, but the fact is - we need money and we need to buy and sell players strategically to get back to the top rung. As far as I'm concern, everyone is for sale at the right price. And this was a no-brainer at 40m.

Good bye and good luck lad.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Like many of our players during the years, this is another "what if" story.

Thank you Alex for your spirit

You feel a special bond when a player has a story like Iwobi's. Academy boy since 6 playing for his boyhood club. He lived the dream that many of us have.

With that said, this move indicates that the club is serious about reaching the upper echelons. Iwobi was good enough to play a limited/back-up role here but was unlikely to improve to the level required to be an elite option. We sold him for great money and will reinvest to make the team better.

Many of us have high hopes for Nelson, Nketiah, Smith-Rowe, Willock, Saka et al. For them to have a chance here, we have to create space and that means difficult decisions including moving on good but not great talents like Iwobi. It's part of the up or out business model of an elite team.

I wish Iwobi the absolute best but we must also remember that there is little room for sentimentality in football.
Great posts.

Hope he gets the respect he deserves whenever he comes to the Emirates. Hope he does well for Everton and maybe shift another gear. Don't think it would've happened here.

MikeVinna

Established Member
A little sad over here. I desperately want our young lads to make it. Especially a player like Iwobi who’s grown up at the club and has always done his best. Hope he becomes a big hit at Everton and we sneakily inserted a buy-back or first refusal in his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom