• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2019/20: The race for Europe

Where do you predict we will finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
Bizarre with those rule changes, you essentially have a winger being subbed having to walk around the perimeter of the pitch getting all sorts of abuse (verbal at best, disgusting and illegal at worst) in away games.

Surely they could’ve said if you are deemed to not be off quick enough at the half way line, the sub is delayed from entering the pitch for x amount of time.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
I am always a bit biased with our Arsenal but I feel so confident with the way we did our business this summer that I picked 2nd behind City and I would say that is my heart speaking, however, if I speak from my brain I say 3rd.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I went back and forth including his name there. Just have to go on results. One could say the CL is a cup competition, but they did make the CL final, and they have leapfrogged us for now with comparable, if not inferior, finances. Maybe not on the same level as Klopp and Pep, but even if we equaled overall management at Sp**s that would be a step up (imo) for us. In some ways I could go back and forth on Pep somewhat based on City's finances and circumstances of a golden generation from La Masia at Barca.

This isn't aimed specifically at you but the amount of hype surrounding Pochettino is starting to get ridiculous. I think he is a very good manager, that's why I don't particularly like to point out why he doesn't belong in the top tier of managers yet by highlighting his record and particular weaknesses. He definitely isn't a charlatan unlike the bloke at the wheel at Man U. I guess it depends if you rate their players or not. I personally think he has a lot of great players. Maybe it is the fact that we and most other fans see Sp**s as 'little Tottenham'. A side not to be taken seriously, an irrelevance. He has made them somehow relevant. So looking from that perspective, even if he does decent but not great job he will be hailed as amazing just purely because we have still this image of useless Tottenham.

Let's start with the elephant in the room when people talk about Pochettino, Silverware. He hasn't won any as manager in the 10 years he has been managing. Maybe unfair to expect him to win trophies when he has managed Espanyol, Southampton and Sp**s? Perhaps it is unfair, but if he was an elite manager he could have won atleast one. Diego Simeone won trophies while competing with Real and Barca. Klopp won trophies while competing with Bayern. Even Emery won trophies while managing smaller teams like Sevilla. Apparently a way past it Wenger managed to win 3 fa cups while Pochettino was at Sp**s, yet it is accepted that we shouldn't really expect a so called brilliant manager like Pochettino to win even 1 trophy in half a decade at Tottenham.

Pochettino record in cup competitions apart from last season is terrible. Regularly getting knocked out embarrassingly by sides like Gent of Belgium with a full strength team. So many times the draw opened up for them in the FA or League cup only for them to fall short again. Surely that is on the manager?

Look at this season even. Knocked out by Palace in the Fa cup and Chelsea in the league cup. Chelsea who by the way in my opinion had only 2 players who would get in Sp**s best 11 (Hazard and Kante). Managed by Sarri who no one even seems to rate that highly. So how is it possible Pochettino who is hailed as great manager, having a great team loses again to a fairly weaker team and apparently a weaker manager too. His only impressive cup run to date is their run to the CL final last season. Albeit you can't ignore the incredible luck they had to get there.

Now his league record. This is where he has done fairly well. Finished 5th in his first season (exactly the same average league position Sp**s finished in the 5 previous seasons). He did however inherit a side containing Kane, Eriksen, Alli, Dembele, Vertonghen, Walker and Lloris. So not exactly plumbers. The next few seasons he finished 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Which is very good. Even if we can't ignore that he benefited hugely that Man U after Fergie left have turned into shambles. Last few years we have been terribly run too and Chelsea like to do their downing tools to get manager sacked every other year. Sp**s still had to take advantage of those situations but they did, credit where it is due. Last season was nothing special from Pochettino as far as the league goes, they lost 13 league games, they lost an incredible 20 games in all competitions yet I didn't see much criticism for Pochettino. Again someone like Sarri seemed to get much more criticism, who had weaker squad than Tottenham's and went on to finish 3rd above Sp**s and even added a cup. All in his first season. That doesn't look good on Pochettino, Especially if you consider he has probably the most settled side in the whole league, has had big head start compared to Emery, Ole and Sarri, yet again just scraped 4th by a single point. As soon as klopp was appointed Liverpool started to get their act together and soon passed Sp**s and started challenging for the title, something which Pochettino hasn't managed to do once by the way.

Lastly Pochettino is fairly good at developing and/or improving players. It seems to be a strong point of his. But even in this area people go way overboard. Somehow we are meant not to count all the players he didn't improve (Vincent Janssen, Clinton N'jie, Fazio, N'Kodou, Kevin Wimmer, Stambouli etc).

Like I said I don't want to s hit on him and say he is crap just because he is the manager of our rivals but so far he hasn't done anything amazing to deserve all the praise that seems to go his way. He is a good manager though. He should however not be mentioned in same level as Klopp who has proven he is an elite manager.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Wow Sp**s really are favourites for third. I don't get it. They don't actually have a starting quality right back. They sold Trippier and didn't replace him or am I missing something? Alderweireld is sitting out his contract and Foyth is terrible. They failed to get in another forward so are once again reliant on Kane. Ndombele will be Good, but is Lo Celso some sort of Premier League ready player that I am unaware of. I guess Ericksen wanting to leave has no effect and their manager clearly being unhappy with transfers is fine. But on top of it, they are coming off another season of disappointment and falling short and still only managed 4th by one point.

Not sure I agree with most of the particular claims you are makihg, however it is true that this bunch have to deflate at some point. Mauricio had them overperform for the umpteenth season in a row last time around, he managed to keep them competitive without Kane, he got season defining goals from the dross that Llorente has been overall, and the list goes on. It's all a bit crazy, really, even if they haven't won anything. At some point something has to got give, there has to be some point at which their season will be derailed by disappointment, stagnation, bad form of individuals, the desire of players to leave or the moves materializing (players like Kane, Alli and Eriksen are wanted by mega clubs, what, the better part of a decade now?) and so on.

I can't stand another season of them keeping their head coach, best players, and making their season look good with a squad as average as that one tbh.

ArsenalLunatic

Pool 1st
Arsenal 2nd
Tots 3rd
Man City 4th
Chelski 5th
Manure 6th

I’m crazy but I see hangovers/ injuries galore for Man City.
So sue me.

Expected to win the first two games. It wasn't all that convincing victories but we did the job.

Most of the players should have gotten into shape and match fit by now!

Next two games will be huge test were we stand for the rest of the season!

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
This isn't aimed specifically at you but the amount of hype surrounding Pochettino is starting to get ridiculous. I think he is a very good manager, that's why I don't particularly like to point out why he doesn't belong in the top tier of managers yet by highlighting his record and particular weaknesses. He definitely isn't a charlatan unlike the bloke at the wheel at Man U. I guess it depends if you rate their players or not. I personally think he has a lot of great players. Maybe it is the fact that we and most other fans see Sp**s as 'little Tottenham'. A side not to be taken seriously, an irrelevance. He has made them somehow relevant. So looking from that perspective, even if he does decent but not great job he will be hailed as amazing just purely because we have still this image of useless Tottenham.

Let's start with the elephant in the room when people talk about Pochettino, Silverware. He hasn't won any as manager in the 10 years he has been managing. Maybe unfair to expect him to win trophies when he has managed Espanyol, Southampton and Sp**s? Perhaps it is unfair, but if he was an elite manager he could have won atleast one. Diego Simeone won trophies while competing with Real and Barca. Klopp won trophies while competing with Bayern. Even Emery won trophies while managing smaller teams like Sevilla. Apparently a way past it Wenger managed to win 3 fa cups while Pochettino was at Sp**s, yet it is accepted that we shouldn't really expect a so called brilliant manager like Pochettino to win even 1 trophy in half a decade at Tottenham.

Pochettino record in cup competitions apart from last season is terrible. Regularly getting knocked out embarrassingly by sides like Gent of Belgium with a full strength team. So many times the draw opened up for them in the FA or League cup only for them to fall short again. Surely that is on the manager?

Look at this season even. Knocked out by Palace in the Fa cup and Chelsea in the league cup. Chelsea who by the way in my opinion had only 2 players who would get in Sp**s best 11 (Hazard and Kante). Managed by Sarri who no one even seems to rate that highly. So how is it possible Pochettino who is hailed as great manager, having a great team loses again to a fairly weaker team and apparently a weaker manager too. His only impressive cup run to date is their run to the CL final last season. Albeit you can't ignore the incredible luck they had to get there.

Now his league record. This is where he has done fairly well. Finished 5th in his first season (exactly the same average league position Sp**s finished in the 5 previous seasons). He did however inherit a side containing Kane, Eriksen, Alli, Dembele, Vertonghen, Walker and Lloris. So not exactly plumbers. The next few seasons he finished 3rd, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Which is very good. Even if we can't ignore that he benefited hugely that Man U after Fergie left have turned into shambles. Last few years we have been terribly run too and Chelsea like to do their downing tools to get manager sacked every other year. Sp**s still had to take advantage of those situations but they did, credit where it is due. Last season was nothing special from Pochettino as far as the league goes, they lost 13 league games, they lost an incredible 20 games in all competitions yet I didn't see much criticism for Pochettino. Again someone like Sarri seemed to get much more criticism, who had weaker squad than Tottenham's and went on to finish 3rd above Sp**s and even added a cup. All in his first season. That doesn't look good on Pochettino, Especially if you consider he has probably the most settled side in the whole league, has had big head start compared to Emery, Ole and Sarri, yet again just scraped 4th by a single point. As soon as klopp was appointed Liverpool started to get their act together and soon passed Sp**s and started challenging for the title, something which Pochettino hasn't managed to do once by the way.

Lastly Pochettino is fairly good at developing and/or improving players. It seems to be a strong point of his. But even in this area people go way overboard. Somehow we are meant not to count all the players he didn't improve (Vincent Janssen, Clinton N'jie, Fazio, N'Kodou, Kevin Wimmer, Stambouli etc).

Like I said I don't want to s hit on him and say he is crap just because he is the manager of our rivals but so far he hasn't done anything amazing to deserve all the praise that seems to go his way. He is a good manager though. He should however not be mentioned in same level as Klopp who has proven he is an elite manager.

This may well be the longest post I’ve ever seen in this forum.

carter777

Thinks Poch Is The GOAT

Player:Saka
Regardless of how this Spuds game ends I think City win it. Liverpool wont be as close but still enough for top 4 easily. Chelsea don't look capable of putting together a quality season. United could look trash again against Wolves ,they're a pretty unknown quantity right now. I think we can top Spuds too.

I think we'll get top 4

OSBK

Established Member
If we come away with 2 points from the next 2 games i will be very happy. If we come away with more i will be extremely happy. If we come away with 0 then i will go into meltdown and spend rage in the Özil thread.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
If we come away with 2 points from the next 2 games i will be very happy. If we come away with more i will be extremely happy. If we come away with 0 then i will go into meltdown and spend rage in the Özil thread.

Aren't we playing Sp**s at home after Liverpool? I can't understand how one would be happy when we draw both. A win and loss is better than two draws and we have to beat our rivals at home.

The moment we as Arsenal are happy to draw with Sp**s at the Emirates is the moment we can say we've become a worse club then them.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Aren't we playing Sp**s at home after Liverpool? I can't understand how one would be happy when we draw both. A win and loss is better than two draws and we have to beat our rivals at home.

The moment we as Arsenal are happy to draw with Sp**s at the Emirates is the moment we can say we've become a worse club then them.

I can understand why some people would want to draw both. Keeping an unbeaten start intact after a couple of tough fixtures could help with confidence. However I'm with you, I would take a narrow loss to Liverpool but beat Sp**s, I don't really consider Liverpool direct rivals but I do Sp**s.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I can understand why some people would want to draw both. Keeping an unbeaten start intact after a couple of tough fixtures could help with confidence. However I'm with you, I would take a narrow loss to Liverpool but beat Sp**s, I don't really consider Liverpool direct rivals but I do Sp**s.

Then they should aim for 4 points, a draw at Anfield and win vs Sp**s at home.

A draw to those ****s at the Emirates is never ever ever acceptable.

OSBK

Established Member

We are currently a worst club than them, they finished higher in the league than us the last few seasons. Think outside of rivalary and honestly do you think we can go toe to toe with Sp**s and not conceed? Is this wenger mentality again that we open up and try and outscore them? A win a loss sure is more points but a win over our rivals and a stuffing by pool is really that attractive?

Like my post said, more than a point extramely happy. A point i would be happy as its not a loss.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
We are currently a worst club than them, they finished higher in the league than us the last few seasons. Think outside of rivalary and honestly do you think we can go toe to toe with Sp**s and not conceed? Is this wenger mentality again that we open up and try and outscore them? A win a loss sure is more points but a win over our rivals and a stuffing by pool is really that attractive?

Like my post said, more than a point extramely happy. A point i would be happy as its not a loss.

Weak mentality my friend. Even if you're West Ham vs Sp**s, at home you fancy your chances. A point would be a loss for me.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger

Yes.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
9 Pts from these first 4 games would be fantastic anything above 9 would be absolutely phenomenal.

sp*rs are filthy pondlife inbred backward ****. But they are a good side, rode their luck big-time for a draw at city yesterday but majority of teams would have lost that game.

Top Bottom