• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2019/20: Gameweek 1

MLK79

Elite Drama Queen
I agree, I feel that soon there will be a tweak where they implement a bit of leeway. If VAR can spot offsides down to the mm then it wouldn't be hard to allow attackers an allowance of a few cm.

After all most rules in football are designed to benefit the attackers.
There really shouldn't be any leeway though. The reason why we had the give the attacker the benefit is because humans were generally poor at picking up when the ball was played and the position of the players at the same time. Now that we can say with somewhat absolute certainty, then it doesn't matter anymore.

People will argue about that same benefit to the attackers but ignore the fact that it had adhoc adherence. And for that we just have to look at Lacazette being offside against Stoke, he was off but it was so tight that it shouldn't have been called. Now we don't have to depend on whether the assistant decides that they saw a toe or an entire foot offside.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
I get your point, but effort and strategy plays a huge part in how the game goes, and it just looks like both were lacking. I was more expecting a similar result from the Liverpool game than this one, but West ham has this knack of conceding big against the big boys.

Effort and strategy means very little when the other team is fielding a team that is better player for player in every single position by quite a large margin.

You can get lucky and steal a win, catch them on an off day, but lucky is the key word here. It sounds like whining, but it's more a critique of the state of football. I don't want to lose interest but (as you can probably imagine) being perpetually out of contention for anything because of the uneven playing field will make me do exactly that.

Man City literally never did anything impressive, ever. They got bought by oil money, and then they hired the best, bought the best, and started winning. Wow, what a story.

It would take a fundamental restructuring of football as a business to solve this. Ironic how the country with some of the worst unfettered capitalism in the world has figured it out.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I'll give you the lines but the decision where the arm ends and the shoulder begins is too subjective for my taste. And that's not even taking into account which frame is used to decide when the ball was played.

Too tight for me though I will say that's probably more of an issue with the offside rule than the VAR.

Yeah the Sterling offside was a joke tbh - that's not what VAR should be used for.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Man City literally never did anything impressive, ever. They got bought by oil money, and then they hired the best, bought the best, and started winning. Wow, what a story.

That is why they have such a sh*t global fanbase.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

There really shouldn't be any leeway though. The reason why we had the give the attacker the benefit is because humans were generally poor at picking up when the ball was played and the position of the players at the same time. Now that we can say with somewhat absolute certainty, then it doesn't matter anymore.

People will argue about that same benefit to the attackers but ignore the fact that it had adhoc adherence. And for that we just have to look at Lacazette being offside against Stoke, he was off but it was so tight that it shouldn't have been called. Now we don't have to depend on whether the assistant decides that they saw a toe or an entire foot offside.
Fax.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Just came in from an errand & saw the score, give them the title already :lol:.

This league has lost its luster until their eventual downfall.

OSBK

Established Member
Unreal from city, sterling has to be the best player in the league.

Scary thing is they only had 4 pre season games and a charity shield. Another few weeks and they will be untouchable.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It will come down to a mixture of coaching as well as the money.
Effort and strategy means very little when the other team is fielding a team that is better player for player in every single position by quite a large margin.

You can get lucky and steal a win, catch them on an off day, but lucky is the key word here. It sounds like whining, but it's more a critique of the state of football. I don't want to lose interest but (as you can probably imagine) being perpetually out of contention for anything because of the uneven playing field will make me do exactly that.

It would take a fundamental restructuring of football as a business to solve this. Ironic how the country with some of the worst unfettered capitalism in the world has figured it out.
True, that is the state of the game in most of the large markets. Bayern, PSG, Real Madrid, Barca, Atletico, etc. I honestly think that things evolve though. Big 4 is now big 6, and smaller teams that can cash in on their young stars will eventually close the gap if they invest wisely and have the right management. I just want to believe that there are cycles that will happen, whether it’s Leicester or an overspending Fulham, or teams like Wolves or Watford punching above their weight.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Was that ever confirmed as being true? Always seemed like a really stupid deal.

Tbh we don't deserve Sterling. @say yes, @GDeep™ and @Garrincha were pretty much the only guys who rated him when most of A-M thought Ox was the better player.

Don't cast aspersions when you have no evidence.

That attitude will not be useful in reaching that coveted 25,000th like :lol:

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Watching one sided games is really boring and big teams playing each other is just cancelling each other out.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Sterling was in the year below me at school. Seeing him play in the playground I could tell he had talent but never expected he'd become as good as he is.

If anyone said they saw him reaching this level, they’d be lying. It was obvious he had talent and would become a very good player- but he’s genuinely among the world’s elite now.

He’s got it all. The touch, the dribbling, the movement, the pace- and now, the finishing. Unbelievable player.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom