• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

ptrcopp

Only person that can ask for a review or have the final say is the ref, others can only recommend.

Technically, from what I know of the rules, a ref could decline all reviews and just go with their instinct throughout.

All goals are reviewed though, and offside is offside.

ptrcopp

I thought yesterday that VAR worked really well. The focus is obviously going to be on the City game because they are the champions, it was live, and there were more goal no goal incidents. Other than that game it was very much in the background.

I am not in favour of games being ‘re-reffed’. I can see why people have an issue with Jesus’ goal ruled out because of the margins as well because of the time involved. However, at the end of the day, all decisions were called correctly.

Iceman10

Established Member
Watching a recording of the Newcastle-Arsenal match, and the diving by Almiron, hate to be cynical, but it would be much easier for the ref to call a penalty knowing there was no VAR to wave his potentially corrupt decision, or should I say it is a relief that we no longer have to be so cynical about the integrity of Martin Atkinson and the like with VAR as a backstop. He was still biased with handing out of yellow cards though.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Welcome to the future, Premier League! There will be a few times over the course of the season that I'll rue the decision of VAR, but with the technology in place there's no excuse for getting it wrong -- at least obviously so. Seemed to work pretty well for the first weekend and the process will speed up some as they get used to it. But I've never been one to buy into the "interrupting the flow of the game" argument because if it's a goal or a penalty, play stops anyway, and if it's a controversial call the players will waste as much time arguing.

luigicalzone

ECPv0uJX4AAfRrS

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I saw this on reddit but people commented that this was inaccurate as officials have access to cameras at a higher framerate than this graphic suggests. So there is a small room for error, but it's pretty small.
Offside was never meant for these super small margins anyway, football is taking it too far now.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Offside is ****ing offside, no matter how small the margin is. VAR is still better than one ****** in black making a howler than 3 after use of video evidence. How can anyone still be against it? Ridiculous.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I can see within a few years players will just be chipped & offside done automatically by center of mass.

The limb thing a bit daft but you cant argue against it as the rules right now.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Im all for games being reffed away from the pitch. The ref needs to be there only to keep order and get his cards out when he has to. Why should his role be bigger than that? What, are we paying to watch reffball or football? Every throwin, foul, corner, offside... everything should be looked at and pulled back if it has to be. They have to introduce a 'challenge' option for captains. They should be allowed to challenge any call made against their team if they deem it important enough to review, e.g. a dodgy 2nd yellow card or anything the ref lets go. You get the challenge right, you keep your quota. Get it wrong and you lose one.

ptrcopp

Every throwin, foul, corner, offside... everything should be looked at and pulled back if it has to be. They have to introduce a 'challenge' option for captains. They should be allowed to challenge any call made against their team if they deem it important enough

I am all for the match being video reffed ‘live’. I think this would especially help with black and white calls like the ones you mention - corners.

I wonder if your solution would work. I like the idea of every call being given correctly, not just when the captain thinks he knows better than the ref. I think also it would punish teams who defend a lot as there would be less risk in a team like City.

As you said, we aren’t watching reffball. I think the solution can be greater trust in the video ref from the pitch ref. They aren’t on the pitch with the pressure and emotion that comes with it. If they say something should pulled back or that fouls should actually be a yellow then why can’t it be?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I am all for the match being video reffed ‘live’. I think this would especially help with black and white calls like the ones you mention - corners.

I wonder if your solution would work. I like the idea of every call being given correctly, not just when the captain thinks he knows better than the ref. I think also it would punish teams who defend a lot as there would be less risk in a team like City.

As you said, we aren’t watching reffball. I think the solution can be greater trust in the video ref from the pitch ref. They aren’t on the pitch with the pressure and emotion that comes with it. If they say something should pulled back or that fouls should actually be a yellow then why can’t it be?
Can't agree enough. That's the direction we need to be heading in. There seems to be this obsession with refs maintaining a certain amount of power though; 'the ****** in the black' is now a protected species all of a sudden. Honestly, the **** I heard on the radio after the City/Sp**s game; total overload of whinging and sanctimonious whoring depending on what fan had phoned in.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Can't agree enough. That's the direction we need to be heading in. There seems to be this obsession with refs maintaining a certain amount of power though; 'the ****** in the black' is now a protected species all of a sudden. Honestly, the **** I heard on the radio after the City/Sp**s game; total overload of whinging and sanctimonious whoring depending on what fan had phoned in.
Agree 100%. Loved your 'refball' comment. Truly felt like that at times in recent years

Latest posts

Top Bottom