• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Don’t think that’s the best test: among other things, we need to see how Chelsea and United actually do first. I would be much happier with the manager if we finished 5th with 80+ points than 4th with 63, for example.

What I’m hoping for / expecting from Emery is simply an improvement from last year, in all aspects of the game. I want more points, better performances away from home, a stronger defence, increased fluidity in our attacking game and, preferably, the increased integration of youth.

Probably a more demanding set of expectations than yours, and a lot less arbitrary.
if we finish 5th with more than 80 points there will have been an inordinate number of very one-sided games in the PL, which will make me for one thoroughly depressed

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Even if he got backing this and last summer I still think with our finical funding it take more than two season to complete the squad the manager wants.

I hope we manage top4 this season and I think we should. But it will be a brave and IMO correct decision to extend Emery contract no matter what. At least for 1-2 more years although I like the idea of 3-4 years more!
Welcome to the Emery In camp!

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Don’t think that’s the best test: among other things, we need to see how Chelsea and United actually do first. I would be much happier with the manager if we finished 5th with 80+ points than 4th with 63, for example.

What I’m hoping for / expecting from Emery is simply an improvement from last year, in all aspects of the game. I want more points, better performances away from home, a stronger defence, increased fluidity in our attacking game and, preferably, the increased integration of youth.

Probably a more demanding set of expectations than yours, and a lot less arbitrary.

Yeah I guess that's reasonable but if the squads of Chelsea and United are over achieving then we have to match that, we simply have the better squad imo.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

His job should be on the line if he fails to get top 4 imo.

Chelsea and United are the weakest I have seen in years.

Not sure they are all that weak to tell the truth . The technical level in that match was pretty high I thought .

Having said that with the resources spent this summer , definitely the aim is top 4 if we don't then the Arsenal Hierachy will think long and hard.

Last edited:

Hexagon9

The relative strength of clubs’ squads is still difficult to assess as so much depends on how new signings, especially those from overseas leagues acclimatise. For us Cellabos, Pepe, Martinelli and Tierney might hit the ground running, or the speed and physicality of the EPL might make them far less impressive than they were in the leagues they’ve come from.

This season will be a defining one for Unai but when I see posts saying that he should go at the end of the season because he’s not as good as Klopp or Guardiola it makes me laugh. Nobody is.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yep just about to post this. Areas for improvement in both games but nice to finally have a decent start to a new season.

Yep yep, I'd rather ugly (I mean we played pretty well today I thought but whatever) and 2 wins than some pretty football and dropped points to start the season.

Think about it, that's 8 seasons under Wenger which we were already playing catch up after the first 2 games immediately putting unnecessary pressure on ourselves. I understand there were some tough games in there but I think about 2012 starting with Sunderland and Stoke we didn't even score a goal, 2013 with Villa. 2014 drew vs Everton and just narrowly beat Palace. 2015 lost at home to West Ham. 2016 losing at home to Liverpool and drawing away to Leicester. 2017 losing to Stoke who'd end up relegated.

It's actually hard to believe there's been such a long period without winning our first 2 games, it's not as if there was a lot of times when we took 4 points, most of the times we dropped 3 points at least. Such a simply thing on paper but it just goes to show it's probably not as easy as it looks or else we always went into seasons seriously under prepared.

Whatever it is, these past 7 days we've been focused and ready to fight for the wins and not taking for granted or looking ahead to the Liverpool and NLD games. We did what we needed to which was get the 6 points on the board first and foremost and full credit has to be given to the manager for that.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Could have allowed the team to be bit more bold when we were dominating, but in the end he got us the points.

It's only this season that he can really build a team, though, last season was more about surviving with Mustafi and Mkhi getting plenty of game-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom