• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
When Celtic supposedly refused our offer because our add ons were unrealistic, I said they had a cheek because we"ll qualify for the Champions League before they do.

I stand by that statement.

Agreed, the fee isn't really much layout for us and we got our man but the fee is still high, Celtic are like a championship/league one club who get a shot at CL football each year.

The longer Celtic stay out of the CL the worse they and the league will get, if they weren't landlocked to the PL I really do think the SPL would be a lot worse off.

Compare Celtic to the likes of RB Salzburg, Rosenberg, Zagreb etc and they are already starting to fall behind.

Their squad is truly ****e and it shows just how bad the league is that they are chasing a '10 in a row' which is such an awful achievement.

Goonger

Don't get me wrong, the league has been declining for years, but the league suffered further through all the nonsense that happened to Rangers. Celtic grew complacent during that time Rangers were out the league & were doing the bare minimum to win the league.

When Rangers got back in the league it seemed to jolt Celtic and getting Rodgers made them a fair bit better. They seemed to be going in a fairly good direction while Rangers struggled to readjust.

However the past 12 months have seen things even a bit out. Gerrard seems to have stabilised things at Rangers and they are looking to kick on, while Celtics dealings be it purchases or how they handled Rodgers & his replacement has been pretty poor. Its a strange 1 because you think after winning a treble treble they'd be boisterous & looking to push on, but instead the appointment of Lennon straight after seemed to deflate the mood & subsequent transfers havent improved anything either.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Injured now so expecting posts about how he is the second coming of Ashley Cole or some other hype to build up and lead us to thorough disappointment.
Not seen much to be honest but the little I did see he was impressive. Hope he comes back with some good confidence from the move.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
You lot need to stop chatting sh1t about Celtic. Top club with an elite fan base, they have the best fans in football.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Celtic's business model works to an extent but it is very difficult. They manage to get young players too good for the SPL like VVD, Wanyama, Dembele and Edouard because they promise they won't stand in their way when a big club in a top 5 league come calling. They also rely heavily on qualifying for the Champions League group stage both from a financial and prestige point of view. Their better players are more inclined to stay if they are playing Barca, Bayern etc. in the group stages, it's great experience but not if they are going out to the likes of Cluj in the qualifying rounds. I think that Rogers would have stayed at least until this summer if they had of qualified for the group stages last season.

Selling your best player pretty much every summer catches up in the end, it is hard to replace quality consistently. You only have to look an Swansea City or Southampton down here, it caught up with Swansea and I think it will catch Southampton eventually. I think it has already caught up with Celtic, they look much weaker now than 2 seasons ago. It's a vicious circle, the longer they are out of the Champions League group stages they more they decline and are less likely to qualify.

Tomb Bombadil

What kind of injury has tierney? On arsenal it's groin and on other websites I saw hip?

He had quite a few problems last year - hip, groin and calf.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
What kind of injury has tierney? On arsenal it's groin and on other websites I saw hip?

He had quite a few problems last year - hip, groin and calf.
Yes either groin or hip but very likely groin that's why ww not rushing him back to he won't have set backs

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Celtic's business model works to an extent but it is very difficult. They manage to get young players too good for the SPL like VVD, Wanyama, Dembele and Edouard because they promise they won't stand in their way when a big club in a top 5 league come calling. They also rely heavily on qualifying for the Champions League group stage both from a financial and prestige point of view. Their better players are more inclined to stay if they are playing Barca, Bayern etc. in the group stages, it's great experience but not if they are going out to the likes of Cluj in the qualifying rounds. I think that Rogers would have stayed at least until this summer if they had of qualified for the group stages last season.

Selling your best player pretty much every summer catches up in the end, it is hard to replace quality consistently. You only have to look an Swansea City or Southampton down here, it caught up with Swansea and I think it will catch Southampton eventually. I think it has already caught up with Celtic, they look much weaker now than 2 seasons ago. It's a vicious circle, the longer they are out of the Champions League group stages they more they decline and are less likely to qualify.

I think the key for Swansea and Southampton was how they spent the money they generated from letting the bigger players move on.

They wasted it on a lot of foreign journeymen type players and before you know it they’re stuck with a squad full of mediocre players who no one wants to buy.

Leicester have been smart, after the initial coup of getting in Mahrez and Kante for far below their value they went after mostly young players with room to grow and lots of young home grown players looking to break into the PL.

Some players like Iheanacho and Slimani haven’t worked out but Ndidi has been a success. Also if you have lots of young homegrown players like Chilwell, Maguire and Maddison it’s very unlikely there’ll be enough clubs who can afford to pay the massive fees.

It gives you time to scour the market over multiple years for replacements rather than having to fill gaps quickly. It’s what Everton under Moyes did really well imo, they were a very shrewd club back then.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Would be class if we get them in Europa and KT makes his first appearance for us against them.
Would be class if they get kicked out of the last qualifier by AIK and they come crying for earlier payment of Tierney because they'll be in financial trouble.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Agreed, the fee isn't really much layout for us and we got our man but the fee is still high, Celtic are like a championship/league one club who get a shot at CL football each year.

The longer Celtic stay out of the CL the worse they and the league will get, if they weren't landlocked to the PL I really do think the SPL would be a lot worse off.

Compare Celtic to the likes of RB Salzburg, Rosenberg, Zagreb etc and they are already starting to fall behind.

Their squad is truly ****e and it shows just how bad the league is that they are chasing a '10 in a row' which is such an awful achievement.
Celtic regularly beat Rosenberg but aside from that youre way off.

If Scotland was in mainland Europe it would have its own TV network which would be set up to benefit domestic teams and not a domestic network set up to benefit one of the nations within the country. Just like those other countries you mentioned.

Anyway a terrible night for Celtic playing one of their best midfielders at left back. Honking stuff.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

If Scotland was in mainland Europe it would have its own TV network which would be set up to benefit domestic teams and not a domestic network set up to benefit one of the nations within the country. Just like those other countries you mentioned.

Anyway a terrible night for Celtic playing one of their best midfielders at left back. Honking stuff.

Would the money on offer be a lot less if it weren't for Sky and the English viewer?

I cant imagine the TV money is better in the Cypriot league or whatever league comparison is fair.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Losing Tierney cost them more CL money than they got for him (Yes he’s injured but still):drool:

Keplaz

to add to the hype, let's look at what Pat Nevin has to say

This is unreal. If Tierney is a good as this guy says he is, it's going to be brilliant.

I watched the video of him training with Dinos and Hector, and he looks to have something about him. A bit of how do you say it, je ne sais quoi..

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Would the money on offer be a lot less if it weren't for Sky and the English viewer?

I cant imagine the TV money is better in the Cypriot league or whatever league comparison is fair.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46279568

Compared to Portugal, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland Scotland finishes bottom for TV money. So no doubt in my mind an independent Scotland with its own independent broadcaster improves Scottish football. Especially when when adjusted for population there are more Sky Sports subscribers in Scotland compared to England. In an independence scenario a new broadcaster could snap up both rights and help distribute the income accordingly.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

What the hell was Lennon thinking? It is something I would expect from Pep. Or maybe even Rodgers. Thought he was the pragmatic type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom