• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: 2019/2020 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal-mania 2018
"Willock has zero ability"
"I don't know what he is good at"
"Sell him"
"He will never make it"
"We shouldn't waste our time on him"
"Is Hydro trolling us by telling us he has talent and need developing time"

Arsenal-mania 2019
"Hydro is a god!"

I'm thinking of going into AM posters performance thread and pad my self on the back again! :trophy::drool:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Willock is a good example of why you never get rid of youngsters with his type of frame. All he needed to do was fill out. Same goes for Jeff who we shouldn’t have sold, imagine them two now in midfield ahead of somebody ffs.

Smith Rowe is about 6ft and ready to go, Jesus it’s looking good. :drool:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is interesting. I think although ESR and Nelson may possess ability that is easier to see and may be seen as more talented, Willock has something they don't. He has complete belief in his own ability. It's actually quite scary. He is supremely arrogant and supremely confident. This isn't a young winger with the bit between his teeth taking defenders on and being able to lose the ball in the final third like Walcott at 16 or Ox at 18.

Willock is holding our midfield down at the age of 19 and doing things way beyond his years. His mentality is astounding. I don't even think I am hyping it up. It is at the elite level for his age group. It is Frenkie De Jong like in the middle of the park. There was a moment where he flicked the ball up and cleared it away in the exact same way Ceballos did under pressure on the edge of his box. He drives forward with pace and power. He is so fast and dynamic and he will get even stronger physically. It's actually scary to think of what he can develop into.

I remember during the 2017/2018 season I remarked that it was frustrating people didn't see how much upside there was with Joe Willock. This is a guy who came up at Hale End as a diminutive attacking midfielder/winger with excellent dribbling and passing skills. He's had a massive growth spurt and a change in role that had seemingly not only catapulted him to the forefront of Wenger's mind, but rounded out his game to a degree that the more he played, the more I could see why Wenger was giving him so much game time.

Big, physical, competitive, strong in the challenge. Very good dribbler, tight and open spaces. Excellent passer, with good range and with both feet. Only thing I was unsure about was his shooting/scoring and last season he even improved that. I always thought this was a possibility, although possibility is endless and thus not concrete. It all depended on his mentality and after his hard work and improvement last season in the shadow of Matteo Guendouzi, I was sure he would make it here. Early days, but I can see this guy being a starter for us sooner rather than later, he just has to keep up what he's doing.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Willock is a good example of why you never get rid of youngsters with his type of frame. All he needed to do was fill out. Same goes for Jeff who we shouldn’t have sold, imagine them two now in midfield ahead of somebody ffs.

It's not just his frame either - the frame came after the skills. That growth spurt saved his career in the end, even after the problem with his leg.

We're producing talents stronger than ever. What I think they have over our previous talents is a real tactical nous that the previous generations have lacked. Smith-Rowe is perhaps the most quintessential example in terms of that blend of physical, technical and tactical quality. While Nelson is brilliant in terms of pure talent (indeed, I still consider him the most naturally talented), the other players' physical and tactical maturity seems to standout more.

The good part is that there's more to come in this vein. Perhaps not as many attackers as this batch, but we don't need much more! :lol:

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
This is interesting. I think although ESR and Nelson may possess ability that is easier to see and may be seen as more talented, Willock has something they don't. He has complete belief in his own ability. It's actually quite scary. He is supremely arrogant and supremely confident. This isn't a young winger with the bit between his teeth taking defenders on and being able to lose the ball in the final third like Walcott at 16 or Ox at 18.

Willock is holding our midfield down at the age of 19 and doing things way beyond his years. His mentality is astounding. I don't even think I am hyping it up. It is at the elite level for his age group. It is Frenkie De Jong like in the middle of the park. There was a moment where he flicked the ball up and cleared it away in the exact same way Ceballos did under pressure on the edge of his box. He drives forward with pace and power. He is so fast and dynamic and he will get even stronger physically. It's actually scary to think of what he can develop into.

You and Mutie raving over his rise is music to me ears :)

His impact could be even bigger than guwndo last season

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
His performance went under the radar because of Ceballos. But what a fantastic game he had, looked so mature!

I'm so excited by our young players. We will carve out at least a couple world class players from them in my opinion.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Sorry to bring it up again, but I need the sauce to surprise my Tottenham fan cousin who doesn't see he is that tall. :) How do you know it so specifically?

Your cousin must be really poor at judging height. Maybe it's because I had the same frame at 18 as Willock and was around 189cm back then, so it's pretty easy for me to tell he is around 184-187cm. Plus compare him to the other players listed at 6ft on the team and he is clearly taller than a lot of them. He also has pretty long limbs which makes him more rangy.

Kingofthebongo

So impressed. Already a decent PL level midfielder at 19. If he continues this trajectory we will finally have what we believe should be the Arsenal level quality we used to expect in the middle of the park.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
He had a good game. I think he's moved ahead of Nelson because he is calm and doesn't make mistakes. Would love him to bulk up a bit more but he has the right attitude.

Will he make it? Let's see. But this could be the vital season for him.

9jagooner

I don't think we "got rid" of players. Fans love to romanticize without thinking of the careers of the players or fans involved.

So say hypothetically we had Jeff here still. We'll have had Jeff, Willock and Guendouzi jostling for same position alongside Torreira. All of them about same age. Which one of them would have enjoyed sitting on the bench?

Even the Gnabry that posters here keep referencing, people easily forget that we wanted to keep him but could not guarantee him starting position and rightly so! Guess what, he went to Werder for a season and then a loan season at Hoffenheim before getting to playing for Bayern. If he wasn't good enough to play for Bayern till 2 years after leaving us, why should he get first team guarantee playing for us?

That said, as they are all young players, we'll get some right and some wrong. But the decisions must be made based on performance and player's attitude with the player's career and the club growth in mind and not some Hale End romance.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Frenkie? I think you should watch Frenkie more, totally different players. Don’t know how you see Frenkie in this, Joe looks like an 8, Frenkie is a footballing 6, a playmaker from deep. They would be a match made in heaven tho, on the same midfield. Ceballos in front of them. Mouthwatering stuff. :drool:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Fecking amazing tho, 19 years of age (almost 20) in the middle of the park in the premier league, you almost never see that. I am so so impressed.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out

Was starting to worry about who’d fill the void Erlis left behind after being banned, Jheeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom