• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He’s spot on. He’s been here long enough and our football is still quite ****.
From a more nuanced perspective, it very much needs work. When we win the ball in the middle third, we transition quite well I think. So far we've scored 2 goals doing just that (both goals scored by Auba). The issue is that we are building attacks from very deep in the pitch and not getting numbers forward quickly enough to support the forwards.

We would need the 3 up top to all have the ability to make it stick if we're gonna get it up to them from so far away. As it were, Laca was rusty today, Auba is not the most adept at it and struggled particularly in the 1st half to simultaneously drop deeper then run in behind, and Nelson didn't have an influence on the game because he was too high up and seemingly doesn't know whether he should stay wide or cut in.

The team IMO needs to be more compact in the build-up, so our attacking moves need much more coordination and thought beyond inside balls to the full-back to cutback into the box. We had our first phase play and our final phase play (mostly) down. First phase you can see Emery's plan, and we were very adept IMO at beating that first press with our midfield today being extremely resistant today. It was the best midfield structure (offensively) we've had in a while, but they were far too removed from the attack.

Emery does need to establish a more coordinated attacking strategy. Our approach play is disjointed currently and we're not making enough chances for a team of our current offensive quality. I appreciate that he's been brave with his selections so far - I've been impressed with some of the adventurous selections he's made, giving Nelson and Willock two starts each in particular. I also liked the midfield structure in this game a hell of a lot better. I just think his attacking is lacking at the moment.

He’s spot on. He’s been here long enough and our football is still quite ****.

Agree but again like I said before I still think Emery need one more window to get his complete squad. Hence I would give him another 2 year contract even if he fails at top4. I try to be fair here.

But trying to defend at home from 20 minute a 1 goal lead against Burnley is just not something I want to see ever again.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm not a massive Emery fan, but I've said this before and I'll say it again.

You just can't please some of our fans.
This is very true :lol:

I'm very pleased with the results, meanwhile our actual football's been a mixed bag so far. Not too dissimilar from last season, albeit this time we have at least gone into our 3rd game with 6 points this time.

There's been some really good stuff but a few worrying signs. I actually think that there could be a slightly simple solution to Emery's problem though. Playing with 2 8s and a 6 rather than the other way around can potentially give us more flexibility in both defense and attack. Shapes can change mid-match, but we didn't really see any of the midfielders adapt their approach play too much until the 2nd half. I think a slightly tweak in the system could work wonders.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I'm not a massive Emery fan, but I've said this before and I'll say it again.

You just can't please some of our fans.

You can, just win Premier League title with City & Pool last season collecting ~100 points each.

The tip from me is just to be amused at what you see. :)

MutableEarth giving good points. The play didn't look very good at some points. Much changes of course. Would like to see Torreira as DMF, with Ceballos & Guendouzi/Willock rotation. They can change positions easily.

To Van Persie I suggest buying these glasses I use a lot and recommend to others too, they're from Coastal, called "perspective glasses".

https://www.coastal.com/glasses/perspective

Reactions: Jae

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
You also have to remember the style went before Emery arrived.

We had a couple of seasons of week in week out formation / big player changes. We switched in & out of back 4s / 5s. Even a spell where Giroud would be in for a bit up top then Alexis or another smaller guy.

Emery may not really have a set style but nor have we for a few years. Not like he broke it or anything.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

You also have to remember the style went before Emery arrived.

We also had a couple of seasons of week in week out formation / big player changes. We switched in & out of back 4s / 5s. Even a spell where Giroud would be in for a bit up top then Alexis or another smaller guy.

Emery may not really have a set style but nor have we for a few years.

And the team he got, Mustafi starting etc. Injuries...

Hey, it seems you have also tried these glasses! Aren't they awesome!? Sorry for the adverts. (I really have never heard of these glasses before, just a joke.)

Jae

This is very true :lol:

I'm very pleased with the results, meanwhile our actual football's been a mixed bag so far. Not too dissimilar from last season, albeit this time we have at least gone into our 3rd game with 6 points this time.

There's been some really good stuff but a few worrying signs. I actually think that there could be a slightly simple solution to Emery's problem though. Playing with 2 8s and a 6 rather than the other way around can potentially give us more flexibility in both defense and attack. Shapes can change mid-match, but we didn't really see any of the midfielders adapt their approach play too much until the 2nd half. I think a slightly tweak in the system could work wonders.

Agree with everything you've said there buddy. I'm more concerned with results rather than performances at the minute. Think the style will come with time.

Jae

Emery may not really have a set style but nor have we for a few years. Not like he broke it or anything.

One of the biggest criticisms of Wenger was that he only knew how to play one way, and if that didn't work we had no plan B. You could gaurantee we would set up exactly the same tactics, same players, same everything every week without fail, regardless of our opposition.

We now have a manager who is quite pragmatic in his approach, and who will tweak and tinker with the team and tactics to suit the opposition, but doesn't necessarily have a discernable style.

In the world of football I wouldn't say one is strictly better than the other.

Yes it is becoming boring now. Say Emery goes who comes in that is realistic and good enough?

Well thats the million dollar question isn't it mate? There's probably someone out there but I don't think we should be in any rush to get rid. It's ultimately going to depend on where we finish in the league and the manner in which we do.

And I'm sorry, but in my opinion RVP can go and f*ck himself, could have been a club legend but unfortunately he's lost the right to have a say about anything Arsenal related, ultimate snake.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Well thats the million dollar question isn't it mate!

And I'm sorry, but in my opinion RVP can go and f*ck himself, could have been a club legend but unfortunately he's lost the right to have a say about anything Arsenal related, ultimate snake.[/QUOTE]

Hes never managed for a start. Emery can be frustrating dont get me wrong but there is theory to it.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
From a more nuanced perspective, it very much needs work. When we win the ball in the middle third, we transition quite well I think. So far we've scored 2 goals doing just that (both goals scored by Auba). The issue is that we are building attacks from very deep in the pitch and not getting numbers forward quickly enough to support the forwards.

We would need the 3 up top to all have the ability to make it stick if we're gonna get it up to them from so far away. As it were, Laca was rusty today, Auba is not the most adept at it and struggled particularly in the 1st half to simultaneously drop deeper then run in behind, and Nelson didn't have an influence on the game because he was too high up and seemingly doesn't know whether he should stay wide or cut in.

The team IMO needs to be more compact in the build-up, so our attacking moves need much more coordination and thought beyond inside balls to the full-back to cutback into the box. We had our first phase play and our final phase play (mostly) down. First phase you can see Emery's plan, and we were very adept IMO at beating that first press with our midfield today being extremely resistant today. It was the best midfield structure (offensively) we've had in a while, but they were far too removed from the attack.

Emery does need to establish a more coordinated attacking strategy. Our approach play is disjointed currently and we're not making enough chances for a team of our current offensive quality. I appreciate that he's been brave with his selections so far - I've been impressed with some of the adventurous selections he's made, giving Nelson and Willock two starts each in particular. I also liked the midfield structure in this game a hell of a lot better. I just think his attacking is lacking at the moment.
Agreed. I was encouraged today due to real technical quality and flair in Ceballos and Pepe (also Willock is going to be immense very soon), but a home game against Burnley should not be the struggle we made it to be.

Something is off with the way we attack/build up. I hope Emery has the remedy.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We were good against both Newcastle and Burnley.

Can / should have been even better but there’s no need to rewrite history. Six points out of six. Let’s go.

November 2017 Burnley 0 Arsenal 1 through a last minute Alexis penalty. January 2017 Arsenal 2 Burnley 1 through a last minute Alexis penalty. October 2016 Burnley 0 Arsenal 1 through a very last minute Koscielny winner. January 2016 FA Cup Arsenal 2 Burnley 1. April 2015 Burnley 0 Arsenal 1.

Hmmmm..... it seems like there were a lot of occasions under Wenger were we got ugly wins over Dyche's Burnley too. I remember in particular the 1-0 win in October 2016 was one of the worst Arsenal performances I've ever witnessed, far worse than what was produced earlier today.

As for Newcastle. April 2018 we lost 2-1 at St James Park. August 2015 we got a narrow 1-0 win vs Newcastle at St James Park. March 2015 we got a narrow 2-1 at St. James Park. December 2013 we got a narrow 1-0 at St. James Park. May 2013 we got a narrow 1-0 win over Newcastle at St. James Park. August 2011 we drew 0-0 vs Newcastle at St. James Park. A lot of narrow wins there along with a narrow defeat and a draw.

It's almost as if facing Dyche's Burnley or going to St. James Park are fixtures where you just want to come away with the three points. Regardless if it's Wenger or Emery.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Agree with everything you've said there buddy. I'm more concerned with results rather than performances at the minute. Think the style will come with time.
And when we start losing? We just went through a season with a handful of good performances.

Be interesting to see the reactions when we start dropping points.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

In today's game if Pepe started he wouldn't have gone 3 at the back imo. We might have scored another goal and the posters moaning would be happy.

Gunner D

Coronavirus Truther; ex. Gunner boy dd
Don’t like the fact he reverted to 5 at the back with 20 minutes to go. Put us on the back foot in the final parts of the game because of those changes. We’re more than capable of seeing out a game against Burnley with 4 at the back. We could of easily left/brought on another attacker and put Burnley to the sword. It’s like Emery always has to imprint his pragmatic style of play in matches. Way too negative for my liking. It’s still early days though, so not going to get on his back. Happy to get the 3 pts. We go again at Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom