• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Atmosphere at Emirates

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I don't think it's a drum. I think it's some guy bashing the steel bit of the stadium at the back. Happens in many home games.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
https://talksport.com/football/587864/arsenal-fan-atmosphere-emirates-burnley/

Apparantly we had a drum in the stadium today.. i didnt really notice it, did any of you who were at the game?

Nice to see stuff is being attempted to improve atmosphere at home cause i think it often sucks in all honesty.
Read about it beforehand. Tried to listen for it on the TV but couldn't make it out. I read it was more to kickstart/accompany singing rather than being mindless boring drums like you have over in Germany. Don't know how people can stand that for 90 mins.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I don't think it's a drum. I think it's some guy bashing the steel bit of the stadium at the back. Happens in many home games.
It was a new initiative I agreement with the club. It was the first time it happened today so I figure it's something different than what you're referring to.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
It was a new initiative I agreement with the club. It was the first time it happened today so I figure it's something different than what you're referring to.
Ok. I'll listen out on the video but certainly didn't hear anything different today.

Vanfrothan

Couldn't hear anything different in the Clock End. Was a decent atmosphere today though, although it's usually pretty good on the first home game of the season.

Was the drum in the North Bank?

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
A minor thing, but I wish we'd move the stands, the Clock End and North Bank in particular, closer to the pitch. It's better for atmosphere when the fans are right on top of the action, as close to the field as possible.

Not sure if there was a specific reason/regulation for that red boundary/track between the pitch and the stands, but Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Spud's stadium, etc. have the seats as close to the pitch as possible.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

1652126100085.png

By Amy Lawrence
May 9, 2022

Louis Dunford, an Islington boy in a sunshine yellow parka and flat cap, leaned over the barrier overlooking the Emirates lower tier and braced himself.

To be honest, the whole week had blown his mind, and all of a sudden he was there watching thousands of fans, arms aloft, belt out the chorus of his song, “The Angel”.

“North London forever

Whatever the weather

These streets are our own

And my heart will leave you never

My blood will forever

Run through the stone…”

Spine-tingling was an understatement. Dunford wiped a tear from his eye. His family and a couple of friends were there with him, proud as can be.

Suddenly, authentically, beautifully, this one looks like it is sticking. Arsenal have found themselves an anthem which has struck a chord. For decades it was “Good Old Arsenal”, their 1971 FA Cup song, but once that became a bit dated the club tried out Elvis Presley’s “The Wonder Of You” and in more recent times the dreadfully ubiquitous “Sweet Caroline”.

The thing about anthems is they cannot be forced, or foisted, upon a crowd. How do you find something that feels perfect, that connects, that represents? “The Angel” appeared as if by magic — created by a fan, welcomed by the entire Arsenal diaspora. From the manager, staff, ex-players, and supporters far and wide, it was one of those things that created instant goosebumps.

“Wow. It was really emotional,” Mikel Arteta told Arsenal’s official website after the game. “The team were making comments in the dressing room that hearing the song with the spirit and emotion, it was unique. I never experienced that here. It was the first time and I really enjoyed it and hope the fans enjoyed it too.”

The rare beauty of “The Angel” is twofold. Firstly an emotive, rousing, chorus about the local neighbourhood. Secondly this song won Arsenal hearts organically. It just took off. It went viral in a beat. A clip on social media took off and the song was immediately adopted by planet Arsenal.

The musician was invited to the training ground at London Colney where he met with Arteta and several players, and then to the Leeds match to see if the social media enthusiasm caught fire inside the ground. So it did.

Dunford has a troubadour spirit and has been writing songs for about 10 years. He recently got to go on tour. It was these events that made him realise how powerful “The Angel” was, with crowds singing his heartfelt chorus back to him. There is a poetic kind of universality — about your manor, your people, the characters and characteristics.

“It’s in the roots that we inherit

When a generation ends

It’s in the ruins of your youth

And the faces of your past

Cause the manor might be changing

But the people always last…”

The lyrics felt poignant on a day that Arsenal welcomed the veterans of their legendary 1971 double winners for a reunion. They had lunch together in a box before the game. There was Bob Wilson, Charlie George, Eddie Kelly, Sammy Nelson and Peter Marinello at the table, George Graham and Pat Rice sat on the sofa sharing jokes, Frank Mclintock held court around the room — once a captain, always a captain.

The spirit of Arsenal past, present and possibly future was in the air at the Emirates. The new anthem captures some of that inherent “Arsenalness” that Arteta wants to harness and utilise to push his team to meet their goals, to write their own chapters of the club’s story.

It felt important, somehow, as the team did what was necessary (just about) to maintain their quest for a Champions League return ahead of the monumental north London derby on Thursday night. The old 1971 boys won the league in that particular fixture in their day. Today’s team know they can take a huge step and seal Champions League football with a win at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this week. They will have to play considerably better than the second half against Leeds, though, when the tension noticeably gnawed and skewed their game.

Allowing 10-man Leeds back in, having been two goals ahead at half-time, was unhelpful, and having looked at one stage as if they could win 5-0, Arsenal almost managed to draw 2-2. But at this stage of the season, results — any kind of three points — are solid gold. The rest is ephemeral.

Eddie Nketiah continued to enhance his case for a new contract with the two goals that won the game for Arsenal. He played with sparky movement and on the scent of chances. Ian Wright used to be a mentor and Nketiah has developed some of that attitude Wright had of always being ready to gamble, always being alert to the possibility of an opponent making a mistake, always being on his toes to capitalise.

Gabriel Martinelli could barely believe he didn’t take any of his multiple chances, Martin Ødegaard came close, and the other curiosities of note were Takehiro Tomiyasu playing left-back to keep an eye on Raphinha, while at one stage in the second half it was mystifying to see Granit Xhaka drifting to left wing and even centre-forward.

Arsenal are not perfect, but they continue to focus on trying to do enough game by game. They are feeling it. North London forever… Whatever the weather…

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

View attachment 6725

By Amy Lawrence
May 9, 2022

Louis Dunford, an Islington boy in a sunshine yellow parka and flat cap, leaned over the barrier overlooking the Emirates lower tier and braced himself.

To be honest, the whole week had blown his mind, and all of a sudden he was there watching thousands of fans, arms aloft, belt out the chorus of his song, “The Angel”.

“North London forever

Whatever the weather

My blood will forever

Run through the stone…”

Spine-tingling was an understatement. Dunford wiped a tear from his eye. His family and a couple of friends were there with him, proud as can be.

Suddenly, authentically, beautifully, this one looks like it is sticking. Arsenal have found themselves an anthem which has struck a chord. For decades it was “Good Old Arsenal”, their 1971 FA Cup song, but once that became a bit dated the club tried out Elvis Presley’s “The Wonder Of You” and in more recent times the dreadfully ubiquitous “Sweet Caroline”.

The thing about anthems is they cannot be forced, or foisted, upon a crowd. How do you find something that feels perfect, that connects, that represents? “The Angel” appeared as if by magic — created by a fan, welcomed by the entire Arsenal diaspora. From the manager, staff, ex-players, and supporters far and wide, it was one of those things that created instant goosebumps.

“Wow. It was really emotional,” Mikel Arteta told Arsenal’s official website after the game. “The team were making comments in the dressing room that hearing the song with the spirit and emotion, it was unique. I never experienced that here. It was the first time and I really enjoyed it and hope the fans enjoyed it too.”

The rare beauty of “The Angel” is twofold. Firstly an emotive, rousing, chorus about the local neighbourhood. Secondly this song won Arsenal hearts organically. It just took off. It went viral in a beat. A clip on social media took off and the song was immediately adopted by planet Arsenal.

The musician was invited to the training ground at London Colney where he met with Arteta and several players, and then to the Leeds match to see if the social media enthusiasm caught fire inside the ground. So it did.

Dunford has a troubadour spirit and has been writing songs for about 10 years. He recently got to go on tour. It was these events that made him realise how powerful “The Angel” was, with crowds singing his heartfelt chorus back to him. There is a poetic kind of universality — about your manor, your people, the characters and characteristics.

When a generation ends

The lyrics felt poignant on a day that Arsenal welcomed the veterans of their legendary 1971 double winners for a reunion. They had lunch together in a box before the game. There was Bob Wilson, Charlie George, Eddie Kelly, Sammy Nelson and Peter Marinello at the table, George Graham and Pat Rice sat on the sofa sharing jokes, Frank Mclintock held court around the room — once a captain, always a captain.

The spirit of Arsenal past, present and possibly future was in the air at the Emirates. The new anthem captures some of that inherent “Arsenalness” that Arteta wants to harness and utilise to push his team to meet their goals, to write their own chapters of the club’s story.

It felt important, somehow, as the team did what was necessary (just about) to maintain their quest for a Champions League return ahead of the monumental north London derby on Thursday night. The old 1971 boys won the league in that particular fixture in their day. Today’s team know they can take a huge step and seal Champions League football with a win at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium this week. They will have to play considerably better than the second half against Leeds, though, when the tension noticeably gnawed and skewed their game.

Allowing 10-man Leeds back in, having been two goals ahead at half-time, was unhelpful, and having looked at one stage as if they could win 5-0, Arsenal almost managed to draw 2-2. But at this stage of the season, results — any kind of three points — are solid gold. The rest is ephemeral.

Eddie Nketiah continued to enhance his case for a new contract with the two goals that won the game for Arsenal. He played with sparky movement and on the scent of chances. Ian Wright used to be a mentor and Nketiah has developed some of that attitude Wright had of always being ready to gamble, always being alert to the possibility of an opponent making a mistake, always being on his toes to capitalise.

Gabriel Martinelli could barely believe he didn’t take any of his multiple chances, Martin Ødegaard came close, and the other curiosities of note were Takehiro Tomiyasu playing left-back to keep an eye on Raphinha, while at one stage in the second half it was mystifying to see Granit Xhaka drifting to left wing and even centre-forward.

Arsenal are not perfect, but they continue to focus on trying to do enough game by game. They are feeling it. North London forever… Whatever the weather…

Suddenly, authentically, beautifully, this one looks like it is sticking.

Nah :lol:

This is as bad as Sweet Caroline, if we're being honest.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Arsenal women team singing North London Forever

Love it!

Plus, the Arsenal women's team is one good locking lot! Ay Caramba!

I Love You Reaction GIF

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Nah :lol:

This is as bad as Sweet Caroline, if we're being honest.
It would be terrible at the ground, grown man and women wailing at the top of their lungs and out of tune into your ears. It's too slow, meandering and melancholy for a football song. They are going for a YNWA vibe but it's nowhere near the same quality of song.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Arsenal Football Club...aren't very subtle, are they :lol:

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

View attachment 6725

By Amy Lawrence
May 9, 2022

“North London forever

Whatever the weather

My blood will forever

Run through the stone…”

When a generation ends

crying-big-ed.gif

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

18 seconds in clearly thinks about wiping away a tear. Then realises it's a bit too much. :lol:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Now don't get me wrong, I thought the same when I saw the jubilation but I get it Arsenal (Arteta) have really gone out of their way to foster some sort of atmostphere at the Emirates. To their credit it does seem like a bit of a party nowadays as well (I'm sure the younger crowd has a lot to do with this but a different discussion.)

Bit of celebration police here? particularly Richard Keys his disgust is quite palpable here.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Don't know what's wrong with Keys. Proper agenda merchant against Arsenal as a lot of the media are. Think it's a disgrace that someone who's meant to at least portray himself as unbiased on screen flat comes out and says he doesn't like Arteta and finds him annoying.

I didn't see the players going overboard with a celebration. Man City and Liverpool etc do this every week.

Sure the fans were very happy and excited. They've spent a lot of money to watch Arsenal play and win, they're entitled to do whatever they want and they deserve to be acknowledged by the players and manager.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom