• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL | Arsenal vs Burnley | Saturday, 12:30 BST | BT Sport

What is your predicted result?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
It was offside - the Lino called it straight away. I didn’t celebrate the goal and was surprised they bothered with VAR to confirm it tbh.

But yeah, Dean’s a Cnut.
Yes, seen it now. I didn't see the lino flagging so we did celebrate at my end.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
No matter how anyone tries to wiggle this...we missed Xhaka of course. Yes he is prone to the lapses etc. However we missed that today. The link from defence into the other half. Today Guendouzi or Willock could not play that role. Hence Ceballos had to drop deep to try and play to link the defence. With Ceballos next to Xhaka I am sure we can see less errors. Ceballos is always available and creating space etc. Several times today Luis had to tell or show Guendouzi where to move and get the ball.
Please watch all the mistakes which Xhaka committed. He always has many options to pass but still manages to make those errors. So stop making excuses for that pathetic player.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
We played Burnley at home.

Last time we played Burnley at home, with Xhaka playing, we scored more goals, had 60%+ possession, conceded fewer shots/chances, while also having Elneny on the pitch and Monreal playing CB :lol:

It was a pretty bad performance but because we won it can be put aside as one of them games. Let's hope we improve in the next weeks because we don't want to see this kind of football against better teams.
Two of the three midfielders are starting for the first time. And for the first time in three years, our midfielders have actually started taking on players and playing bravely. Xhaka, in spite of his demeanor, is actually a fearful person. He is afraid of press. In this match, we saw all our three midfielders easily break the press.

The only problem we had in the match was, during first half all three were moving forward leaving the defense vulnerable. But it was rightly fixed in the second half and we were much more comfortable. Especially after Torreira came on. Torreira/Willock/Ceballos is the best possible midfield we have now. And after a long time, I saw a proper Arsenal style of play from the midfield. I hope they don't spoil it by bringing back that clown.

Last edited:

RacingPhoton

Established Member
We played Burnley at home.

Last time we played Burnley at home, with Xhaka playing, we scored more goals, had 60%+ possession, conceded fewer shots/chances, while also having Elneny on the pitch and Monreal playing CB :lol:

It was a pretty bad performance but because we won it can be put aside as one of them games. Let's hope we improve in the next weeks because we don't want to see this kind of football against better teams.
Also, some numbers for you:
2018 Burnley match
Possession: 60%
Arsenal shots on target - 6
Burnley shots on target - 2

2019 Burnley match
Possession: 68%
Arsenal shots on target - 9
Burnley - 6

Other stats are all pretty similar. I would say this is a better performance given that half of our team is new and it is the first home game of the season

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Two of the three midfielders are starting for the first time. And for the first time in three years, our midfielders have actually started taking on players and playing bravely. Xhaka, in spite of his demeanor, is actually a fearful person. He is afraid of press. In this match, we saw all our three midfielders easily break the press.

The only problem we had in the match was, during first half all three were moving forward leaving the defense vulnerable. But it was rightly fixed in the second half and we were much more comfortable. Especially after Torreira came on. Torreira/Willock/Ceballos is the best possible midfield we have now. And after a long time, I saw a proper Arsenal style of play from the midfield. I hope they don't spoil it by bringing back that clown.
The only problems weren’t just in the first half, you’re deluding yourself because we won without Xhaka and you’re desperately trying to prove how massive this performance was. Burnley pressured us until the last second so Torreira didn’t really have an effect at all, just like he didn’t last season while Xhaka was out.

Torreira/Willock/Ceballos is maybe a midfield you play against Championship level club or on FIFA. In reality, you need someone like Xhaka in there to shore things defensively and to break the lines with great passing, now this was proven last season instead of something coming out of a fantasy.

No matter what people say we still need to improve our general attacking play. It was flat and dull today for large part of the game!

My opinion still is that dropping Laca and play Auba as striker. Will go long way I think!

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The only problems weren’t just in the first half, you’re deluding yourself because we won without Xhaka and you’re desperately trying to prove how massive this performance was. Burnley pressured us until the last second so Torreira didn’t really have an effect at all, just like he didn’t last season while Xhaka was out.

Torreira/Willock/Ceballos is maybe a midfield you play against Championship level club or on FIFA. In reality, you need someone like Xhaka in there to shore things defensively and to break the lines with great passing, now this was proven last season instead of something coming out of a fantasy.

There’s nothing Xhaka can do that none of Torreira/Willock/Ceballos can’t.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I did not say that we can’t improve on him, just that he is our best option with the current squad.
No, he's not. He's our worst. He's hit his ceiling. Willock, Torreira and Guendouzi are nowhere near it and are outstanding talents. We need an element of patience with them. We have not qualified once with Xhaka in the first team for the CL. That is so incredibly damning.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
I don't get why there's a debate about Xhaka starting or not. He's supposed to be be better than Guendouzi/ Willock, he's like 6-7 years older after all.
But the thing is he's good at very specific things while being error prone & terrified of getting pressed. Guendouzi will far surpass him as a player, just that atm Xhaka is slightly better at it

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
No, he's not. He's our worst. He's hit his ceiling. Willock, Torreira and Guendouzi are nowhere near it and are outstanding talents. We need an element of patience with them. We have not qualified once with Xhaka in the first team for the CL. That is so incredibly damning.
Yes he is our best option if we want to win games, Emery clearly agrees as he is one of the first names in the sheet and was made captain.

Willock, Torreira, Guendouzi may one day get better and reach (or exceed) Xhaka's level but they are not there yet so Xhaka starts every game he is fit.

morpho

Established Member
No matter what people say we still need to improve our general attacking play. It was flat and dull today for large part of the game!

My opinion still is that dropping Laca and play Auba as striker. Will go long way I think!

There is no arguing about the need for improovement. You saw the urge and energy Pepe brought with him. This will get better through out the games. I do believe thats how Emery wants it. More speed, more direct play, one touch even that we seem to have forgot the last couple of years...
Not sure if we have the luxury though, to drop Laca. Nelson is still very unpolished and Mkhitaryan shouldnt be near our starting XI. Hopefully its the product of a lesser evil. We will see in january.

And about playing it safe against Burnley at home. As many have said, its game nr 2, with alot of improovment needed. 3 points is a hellofalot more important than anybodys ego.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

Same can be said for Lacazette, Leno and Aubameyang.

Yes he is our best option if we want to win games, Emery clearly agrees as he is one of the first names in the sheet and was made captain.

Willock, Torreira, Guendouzi may one day get better and reach (or exceed) Xhaka's level but they are not there yet so Xhaka starts every game he is fit.

Xhaka is criminally underrated here, not sure why. Clearly a very competent midfielder with a lot of upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom