• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
2 games an he is being crucified. Madness. I admit I am not seeing anything worthy here either but sheesh the overreaction is insane

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Ajax have the luxury of giving talented youngsters a lot of game time as they are the only giant in a weak league - we are not in an anywhere near comparable situation.

Nelson will get chance, but playing him in the hope he starts to deliver over Pepe, Lacazette or Aubameyang would be lunacy. Now, if he had of gotten off to an amazing start, like Joe Willock, it would be his place to lose.

Starting him at Anfield would be setting him up to fail

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This is Arsenal not Ajax, we're not the best and richest team in this league. We've had many young players we've given loads of minutes to who didn't amount to much or just f*cked off after spending years injured. I'm not gonna be bright eyed or excited for young players anymore, they need to prove they deserve to get chances rather than just getting chances.

Well when you put it like that...
I thought of you as I typed that sentence. :lol:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
2 games an he is being crucified. Madness. I admit I am not seeing anything worthy here either but sheesh the overreaction is insane
I am quite disappointed in some of the reactions so far, but at the same time, he hasn't quite shown his quality just yet. Could possibly take more time than I thought, unfortunately. I hope he keeps his place v Liverpool though, I have no problem with continuing to play him. I think all it will take is one big moment and the floodgates will open. He was fortunate that his Hoffenheim career started with a big moment as soon as he came on v Dusseldorf. So far, has yet to have that moment - and he kinda had that moment taken away from him on Saturday when his goal was ruled out!

It's not quite there yet, but he's close IMO, very close. Would be a dream moment for him to make an impact with a goal/assist v Liverpool.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
People getting impatient because he hasn't scored a goal yet in 2 games. If Monreal wasn't offside the other day we'd be singing a different tune.

For my money he's provided the same level of ball retention and passing as Iwobi while looking more dangerous in the final third. I think he's done fine.

Gunner-Union

Imo he is going to explode very soon so long as he keeps playing. I feel a good run of games and he will start running at and beating players for fun and creating chances. I’m confident that him and willock will this season cement their places

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
People in here are overreacting and being drama queens.

No one is crucifying him or being overly negative. But if you watched him at Hoffenheim, in preseason and his first two games it’s evident he’s not ready yet. You don’t have to be so protective, it’s obvious to anyone he’s not a first team player yet.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

People getting impatient because he hasn't scored a goal yet in 2 games. If Monreal wasn't offside the other day we'd be singing a different tune.

For my money he's provided the same level of ball retention and passing as Iwobi while looking more dangerous in the final third. I think he's done fine.
You're doing Iwobi a big disservice in order to justify Nelson's current performances. Also I don't think anybody has complained about him not scoring.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
........ this weird youth-related overrating.

This really helps no one. And it happens with every single youth player that is promoted to the first team. To be fair it happens at every club. I still remember Man Utd fans telling me Cleverley or Kieran Richardson would be world class soon and right now Greenwood, Chong and Gomez are on the cusp of greatness, likewise, apparently Jordan Ibe was already showing better skills than Sterling for Liverpool fans. When it isn't your youth players you realise most of it is actually wishful thinking. More with the heart than the head.

We all would love it, love it I tell you if one of our youth players made it all the way and became a great player for us, which fan wouldn't? It is a great feeling to see a player develop all the way with the club you support. It gives a satisfaction you wouldn't get from a player that hasn't grown with us.

All of that shouldn't make us disregard all logic and hype up every single youth prospect and demand we give them minutes, regardless if they are performing or not. Claiming all they need is minutes and they will come good eventually. We need to strike a balance between the now and the future. We can't just tilt everything to a player's personal development and neglect the need to get maximum points.

Nelson is actually one of the few youth players who the hype was a bit justified. He is struggling a bit right now on the pitch, things aren't really coming off for him. It is nothing to really worry about. He is still very young, still learning. He will get there.

Now that we are getting more players back to fitness he probably won't get a lot of minutes in the league. We still have the Europa and the cups though. He can try to impress then, hopefully he grabs those opportunities because that is the only way people deserve to get in to the team, by their performances. Not because they came from Hale End or they have potential, they have to show it. It would be better for everyone if they aren't hyped up to the heavens before they have shown anything.

Last edited:

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
When I compare him to Odoi, Greenwood, Sancho..... I prefer not to speak.

Reiss was the highest rated out of those guys when they were all youngsters.

Mason Greenwood is slightly younger, so he wasn't really in that group.

You have to understand that Reiss wasn't just held in high regard at Arsenal, but also England. Playing 2/3 years above his age group for many years.

Sancho has definitely adapted quicker to first team football, utilizing his dribbling and playmaking to devastating effect.

Odoi is just a better physical specimen. Bigger, stronger and probably a little faster at least his top speed. Reiss is technically superior to Odoi though.

His dribbling may never get to Sancho's level, but it can still be a weapon in his arsenal.

Reiss coming up was always more of a 10. I don't know where the whole winger that beats fullback all game long narrative came from.

He has shown the close control and explosive acceleration to beat players for fun at youth level, but there is more to his game than that.

He actually wants to get involved in the build up a lot, passing and moving, linking with the other attackers to open up the defense with quick combination plays.

He hasn't shown that swagger and confidence yet in the first team, but I still feel the club will have to be patient with him.

He was a little timid when he first started playing U23 football as a 16 year old, but after the pre-season with the first team in 17/18, he made that level a joke.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

You need a full and competitive squad to win major trophies.

Nelson has been decent for his age and will make a contribution for us this season. Getting stuck into him over minor details is pointless and will just deflate the confidence that Emery is trying to instil in him. A great young talent who will continue to get minutes this season whether it's in the first XI or on the bench.

avalonhse

Ajax have the luxury of giving talented youngsters a lot of game time as they are the only giant in a weak league - we are not in an anywhere near comparable situation.

Nelson will get chance, but playing him in the hope he starts to deliver over Pepe, Lacazette or Aubameyang would be lunacy. Now, if he had of gotten off to an amazing start, like Joe Willock, it would be his place to lose.

Starting him at Anfield would be setting him up to fail
I wish Emery can send him to Ajax so that he can enjoy CL before us and people here have nothing complain like he is not ready.

JoaoFelix

You need a full and competitive squad to win major trophies.

Nelson has been decent for his age and will make a contribution for us this season. Getting stuck into him over minor details is pointless and will just deflate the confidence that Emery is trying to instil in him. A great young talent who will continue to get minutes this season whether it's in the first XI or on the bench.
They are all better than Nelson. Odoi and Sancho are literallly miles away from Nelson.

JoaoFelix

Reiss was the highest rated out of those guys when they were all youngsters.

Mason Greenwood is slightly younger, so he wasn't really in that group.

You have to understand that Reiss wasn't just held in high regard at Arsenal, but also England. Playing 2/3 years above his age group for many years.

Sancho has definitely adapted quicker to first team football, utilizing his dribbling and playmaking to devastating effect.

Odoi is just a better physical specimen. Bigger, stronger and probably a little faster at least his top speed. Reiss is technically superior to Odoi though.

His dribbling may never get to Sancho's level, but it can still be a weapon in his arsenal.

Reiss coming up was always more of a 10. I don't know where the whole winger that beats fullback all game long narrative came from.

He has shown the close control and explosive acceleration to beat players for fun at youth level, but there is more to his game than that.

He actually wants to get involved in the build up a lot, passing and moving, linking with the other attackers to open up the defense with quick combination plays.

He hasn't shown that swagger and confidence yet in the first team, but I still feel the club will have to be patient with him.

He was a little timid when he first started playing U23 football as a 16 year old, but after the pre-season with the first team in 17/18, he made that level a joke.

Odoi is a better dribbler than Reiss, there shouldn't be a debate. Last year, he took his chances despite playing with a limited time. Odoi's laymaking is way way better than Reiss. PLus he's also more a goalscorer than Nelson.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
I think he has been decent so far. Emery will keep rotating him and that is the smart thing to do, so he can develop his game through the season. He will definitely explode in the near future so lets be patient with him.

Pepe to start against Pool.
Exactly... look at Gnabry! Sometimes here did the same and they guy only needed some time and gameplay... but not being thrown to the hounds.

Now he is doing well at Bayern! And Nelson is capable of the same. He is taking the place of Iwobi... it’s not a big place to cover... guy will do well as squad player. That’s why we got Pepe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom