• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honestly can't remember the last time Wenger played so many youngsters in a game that wasn't a dead rubber. It's literally the beginning of the season and Emery is showing remarkable faith in lads like Willock, Nelson and Guendouzi. You have to admire the bravery. The Arsène Wenger of his last few years in charge would usually just through in an Elneny because he'd see him more as the "safe" option.

I would argue that Wenger never had such a strong group of youngsters coming through. Not even FA cup youth winners with Wilshere as front man was as strong as these players.

Im very glad Emery is showing faith in them. There is value there for sure! I think this faith will be rewarded in the near future!

Hexagon9

I thought we played some good, attractive football on Saturday. We attacked crisply and quickly when Burnley lost possession and the (rightly) disallowed goal was a great little move.

I agree that we failed to grab the initiative after both goals and there were a few horrible moments in defence, but overall I thought the style of play showed definite improvement. Shame it’s Liverpool away next.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I think there's a sense of entitlement honestly. Arsenal fans seemingly feel entitled to play Burnley off the park with Leno grabbing a double hat-trick in a 9-0 win, and Ashley Barnes saying in the post match interview how wonderful Arsenal are as a team and individuals, and what a privilege it is for an orc like him to share a pitch with such fine specimens.

Back in the real world, the majority of games will be won by small margins, City/Liverpool included. Most of the time it comes down to clinical finishing or a bit of magic from one player.

Burnley had a good tactic, worked hard, stuck to their gameplan and lost anyway - we should be delighted.
This is just a plethora of hyperbole that completely overlooks the actual arguments.

You can appreciate the results while still being concerned about how they were achieved. You can have reservations about Emery while still accepting that there were issues when Wenger was here. It isn't all mutually exclusive.

A lot of the responses to the displeasure on performances under Emery stink of holier-than-thou attitudes where people are patting themselves on the back for being oh so patient. Most people understand that Emery deserves time to show what he's about, what's the problem there? The criticism is with the style and efficiency of our play, which is open for constructive criticism as backed up by stats, and if some don't like how we play then that's valid. People aren't idiots for feeling that way. It is fair to say that our goal tally flatters us, and you'd hope that'd improve. Will it given time? Maybe. But as things are it isn't good enough, and that's rightfully being voiced.

Again, we have players coming back, Emery deserves time, we shouldn't be making hasty, large conclusions. But constructive criticism is perfectly normal. Let's not forget how badly we ended last season, which was frankly borderline inexcusable. Emery most certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt but make no mistake, he also has a lot to prove. It goes both ways. Support and reservations are both fair game.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
This is just a plethora of hyperbole that completely overlooks the actual arguments.

You can appreciate the results while still being concerned about how they were achieved. You can have reservations about Emery while still accepting that there were issues when Wenger was here. It isn't all mutually exclusive.

A lot of the responses to the displeasure on performances under Emery stink of holier-than-thou attitudes where people are patting themselves on the back for being oh so patient. Most people understand that Emery deserves time to show what he's about, what's the problem there? The criticism is with the style and efficiency of our play, which is open for constructive criticism as backed up by stats, and if some don't like how we play then that's valid. People aren't idiots for feeling that way. It is fair to say that our goal tally flatters us, and you'd hope that'd improve. Will it given time? Maybe. But as things are it isn't good enough, and that's rightfully being voiced.

Again, we have players coming back, Emery deserves time, we shouldn't be making hasty, large conclusions. But constructive criticism is perfectly normal. Let's not forget how badly we ended last season, which was frankly borderline inexcusable. Emery most certainly deserves the benefit of the doubt but make no mistake, he also has a lot to prove. It goes both ways. Support and reservations are both fair game.
Additionally, process is important. Results not backed up by performance will eventually cease. Performances not backed by results will cease quicker. Its good were getting results and nobody is begrudging anyone happiness. However, this is as good a time as any to analyse our performances - which haven't even been bad, particularly individually but there are definitely still issues carrying over from last season, mainly relating to our attack - and relying on over performance from our strikers, who both finished well above their xG.

I remarked that our first phase building was much better on Saturday and it was. But it still isn't as fluent further forward. I think it should pick up later but a few things should change.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
if you had AMN and Nacho as your fullbacks and were going up against Liverpool...you would be a little glum too.
Eh. AMN is a player I'd be hard pressed to trust in smaller games - it's the bigger games when he usually plays decent. Nacho.....maybe a tad more worried up against Salah but he's not averse to a big game turnup aswell.

I'm not drawing any conclusions before we've played the game. We could end up going to Anfield and gettin something out of the game.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
Eh. AMN is a player I'd be hard pressed to trust in smaller games - it's the bigger games when he usually plays decent. Nacho.....maybe a tad more worried up against Salah but he's not averse to a big game turnup aswell.

I'm not drawing any conclusions before we've played the game. We could end up going to Anfield and gettin something out of the game.

true..i was just trying to make a little joke. But one injury to a fullback in these two months and we are into a full crisis mode...and the coach must feel it.

Kingofthebongo

. If the player doesn't do well, our management just won't give up. For them, it turned out to be a matter of ego. They just can't accept that a player they bought turned out to be bad. So they keep giving chances till the contract runs out. Either it is ego, or Wenger just gets emotionally attached to the players that he doesn't consider it ethical to sell them.

I really don't believe it was ego as much as it was trying to be a humanist against the face of reality. The philosophy of succeeding in modern football changed to a place where Wenger had disdain towards it. You heard it often in his comments, alot of what he said had a negative theme associated with the direction of football.

You can't be successful in a system you have contempt and disdain for, because you will be resisting rather than flowing with it.
Maybe his "ego" was attached to being a humanist in the game, I wouldn't discount that.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I really don't believe it was ego as much as it was trying to be a humanist against the face of reality. The philosophy of succeeding in modern football changed to a place where Wenger had disdain towards it. You heard it often in his comments, alot of what he said had a negative theme associated with the direction of football.

You can't be successful in a system you have contempt and disdain for, because you will be resisting rather than flowing with it.
Maybe his "ego" was attached to being a humanist in the game, I wouldn't discount that.
True about his disdain for the system. He hated big money being thrown around. He absolutely hated agents. Unfortunately, these were going to be part of football whether he likes it or not. Maybe that's why he decided not to take up managing role again.

Ego for Gazidis maybe.

Didi

He literally finished 2 points off 3rd and 1 point behind Poch last season despite a month of relegation form?
Should also mention that our rivals were also in relegation form and we failed to capitalize. It was a race to the bottom.

Didi

This season Emery has to show he has what it takes to be a manager for a huge club like ours. He has to deliver or it is goodbye, no room for sentiments.

You are entitled not to rate Emery if you wish but there is no need to make up stuff or go into super hyperbole. "Not even in the same league as Poch...". So is that why Emery has 3 trophies (I have excluded his trophies at PSG) and Poch has zero?. "He's tactically inferior to Poch..". So much tactically inferior that he managed to outsmart him in the 2 head to heads games in the league. Finshing a single point behind this outer planet, tactically superior manager, with a vastly inferior squad. Mainly thanks to Vertonghen cheating (his encroachment on the penalty).
Come on let’s be real. They went to the CL final and we looked like a laughing stock in our farmer cup final against Chelsea. Those are different worlds, yes.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Come on let’s be real. They went to the CL final and we looked like a laughing stock in our farmer cup final against Chelsea. Those are different worlds, yes.
What a strange response. First off there was no way for us to possibly get to the CL final so not sure why that is being used as a metric. Secondly, Emery was working with a far inferior squad last season. Thirdly, Poch still hasn't won anything yet...

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I would argue that Wenger never had such a strong group of youngsters coming through. Not even FA cup youth winners with Wilshere as front man was as strong as these players.

Im very glad Emery is showing faith in them. There is value there for sure! I think this faith will be rewarded in the near future!

Let's hope you are right. As a natural pessimist, I am convinced most of them will be strutting their stuff at Leyton Orient in the years to come...

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
What a strange response. First off there was no way for us to possibly get to the CL final so not sure why that is being used as a metric. Secondly, Emery was working with a far inferior squad last season. Thirdly, Poch still hasn't won anything yet...

Strange response indeed. He fails to even see the irony that Sp**s would most likely have lost in this 'farmer cup final'. Considering they were knocked out of the league cup and finished below Chelsea.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Strange response indeed. He fails to even see the irony that Sp**s would most likely have lost in this 'farmer cup final'. Considering they were knocked out of the league cup and finished below Chelsea.
They did however beat City on the way to the final. So it wasn't exactly an easy ride but still. As good as Poch is, he is so overrated on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom