• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I think that for me, the disappointment comes from the first two matches. After two games where I didn't think we were all that despite winning, I hoped to at least see a competitive game against Liverpool. It didn't quite pan out that way, having to combat pressure pretty much the whole time.

Taking this game on its own though, it was fine. Liverpool away is possibly the most difficult game in football atm, and we realistically could have drawn had Auba and Pepe taken their chances. I hope we can take the game to them in the future but for now, fair enough.

blaze_of_glory

I just want to see us play with some flair and creativity, some inspiration and charisma. Tired of seeing us sit back and then try to run the same breakouts over and over. It’s honestly drab to watch when it’s not downright infuriating. And it makes me far less forgiving than I would be otherwise in terms of results.

The result today was far less disheartening than how we approached the game and our performance imo. We were never in the game and continued to hope our forwards could just salvage something for us without actually going out and trying to attack. I thought we put in fairly mediocre performances the first two games as well, but we were able to get away with that in way we just can’t at Anfield.

I just don’t like this overly pragmatic style. Practicality is for real life; this is football. It’s too important for caution.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

For a side that wants to play out from the back we aren't very good at it , actually we haven't improved one bit since the start of last season . There are quite a few sides that are better on the ball and playing out than us . Not even talkng about Pool here Burnley kept us in for long periods as well Ironically it's the two new boys Ceballos and Willock that show chemistry and combination play .

Tony's nose

We are absolutely shocking at playing from the back , dont like it at all played ourselves into trouble on a few occasions .
Playing like this will catch us out and cost us .
On top of that i actually think our football looks boring .

Must finish top 4 no excuses imho

Zaza

Emery is simply not a long term option for us.
What is the point of being pragmatic if we're still getting spanked like before? There is potential in this team and Emery is nowhere close to unlocking it.
New coach plus 3 signings and we'll be challenging for the league in no time.

blaze_of_glory

Liverpool are particularly hard to play out from the back against with how hard they press, but yeah we aren’t as good at it as you’d think given how much of a focus it’s been.

Too often short passes to the flanks where a player is just standing still, and because they have no forward momentum they end up passing back to the defence and we get under more pressure.

Tony's nose

Liverpool are particularly hard to play out from the back against with how hard they press, but yeah we aren’t as good at it as you’d think given how much of a focus it’s been.

Too often short passes to the flanks where a player is just standing still, and because they have no forward momentum they end up passing back to the defence and we get under more pressure.

Watching it yesterday against pool at times was cringe worthy.
One of the worlds best teams who play a high pressure pressing game and we tip tap at the back.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
For a side that wants to play out from the back we aren't very good at it , actually we haven't improved one bit since the start of last season . There are quite a few sides that are better on the ball and playing out than us . Not even talkng about Pool here Burnley kept us in for long periods as well Ironically it's the two new boys Ceballos and Willock that show chemistry and combination play .
We don't have the players for this style of football but it could be that Emery wants to create a culture of playing it and get players along the way, rather than adjusting his style based on the players we currently have.
The worst thing about this style is that you can't have a weak link, and currently we have 2-3 players who will never be able to play this style.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It's the reason why Guardiola was always insisting on getting the best fullbacks on the market.
Monreal is always passing back when under small pressure instead of escaping the challenge and AMN is simply stupid. That's why I think Tierney and Bellerin will massively improve this side with their ability to burst forward with the ball.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I was so disappointed by the game and I am firmly out. Don't get it wrong, I wasn't expecting a win, but the way we approached the game was absolutely shocking and won't install any confidence in our players on the road.

The talent in the team lies in attacking areas. We are not built to win games 1-0 or hold on to leads so why did he set up the way he did.

A 4 4 2 diamond with the insistence on playing out from the back against the best pressing team in the world. Not only that, but in a system that doesn't even allow you to do it. How do you play out the back vs 4 3 3 press when you have no width? If our full backs get the ball, where do they go? They have to go back or inside. If they go inside where does that midfielder go? he can't find a winger, he can't get it to our number 10 who is crowded out and he sure as he'll can't find our strikers who are sitting on an island. It doesn't help when Guendouzi and Xhaka cannot turn. Watching Xhaka play first time passes to our centre back who is practically on our goal line and then watching him follow his pass hiding as he knows they won't pass it to him in a tight space. There is no need to play Guendouzi or Xhaka in every game. This game called for something completely different.

Why not match them man for man in midfield? I would have played Torreira holding, with Willock and Ceballos in front of them. Then if Laca isn't fit, play Pepe on the right, Auba in the middle and Nelson on the left. Get the ball forward early. This brings me to my main gripe.

WHY DO WE PLAY SO DAMN SLOW? We stroke the ball like it is a training session, when you beat a press with first time passing, passes around the corner, speed of pass and intensity in possession. Instead it's like we are dangling s carrot with every pass so Liverpool are encouraged to press. Then on top of that we give the ball away with stupid passes.

Liverpool are a very good team, but if you match their intensity throughout the 90 you can make them uncomfortable. Look at Chelsea ffs and Sp**s. They can cause them problems, not because they are considerably better but because they are not cautious.

I am sick or Emery and this cautious approach. Play the players in their rightful positions and stop over thinking this crap. Get the ball to your front 3 as fast as possible and when they get it, tell them to go forward instead of playing it back and working our way back to our goalie. Pepe got the ball on the right, played inside and it ended up going all the way back to our goalie. That is pointless possession. We need a manager who is direct and will look to take risks in the final third and then quickly try to regain possession.

blaze_of_glory

It's the reason why Guardiola was always insisting on getting the best fullbacks on the market.
Monreal is always passing back when under small pressure instead of escaping the challenge and AMN is simply stupid. That's why I think Tierney and Bellerin will massively improve this side with their ability to burst forward with the ball.
Hopefully true. This style definitely doesn’t suit Nacho as he doesn’t have that bust you’re talking about any longer.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I don't know what he has against Torreira and Laca. They are the ones showing some fight whenever the going gets tough and he drops them for all tough matches.

Lacazette is slow and Torreira is weak. The lack the physicality for games like Liverpool away, we seen how Özil is so poor away.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Lacazette is slow and Torreira is weak. The lack the physicality for games like Liverpool away, we seen how Özil is so poor away.
Lacazette's primary task should be to help Auba and Pepe getting on the ball more often in good positions. That's something he can do even without pace, and it's something Firminho does brilliantly for Liverpool.
Torreira is our best player when it comes to pressing and winning the ball early, but that was never the plan yesterday as we were more than happy to park the bus, making him useless in that formation.
While we all understand the formation we've played yesterday, I can't accept that club like Arsenal is happy to park the bus and hope that we will hold the pressure and maybe get lucky on the counter. I can't remember when was the last time Emery's experiment worked for us? I have a feeling that in 90% of the time it goes completely wrong and we lose points before the game starts.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I'm also starting to change my mind on Emery.

He had a weak squad last year as an excuse so I wanted to give him time.
But this season we have I think a v good squad.

I wasn't expecting a win at Anfield.
I was ready to accept that we get spanked if it meant we tried to play like we did last year at the Bridge. high intensity, without fear, look at them in the eyes even if it meant they would punish us on the counter.
We had these kind of game last year against very good teams, Liverpool Tottenham Chelsea home, Valencia & Napoli home & away in the Europa, so he can do it.

but come on, playing from the start like we were Burnley when you have talent in the squad and the potential to build an exciting team, it's a big no for me.
this game was useless from a squad building/developpement perspective.

I didn't care about the result, I wanted to see what a front 3 of Auba Laca Pepe could do against this great team, what our midfield 3 who's been pretty exciting could do. This is the kind of game they need together to gel, to develop their partnerships.

I was hoping we were going to play like we tried to against City and Chelsea last year during the first 2 games.
Sure we lost, but at least it gave me a lot of hope. I was thinking that with time & better players, we could become a very exciting team!

But now, it seems that Emery has thrown his ideas away and is playing a much more conservative football because he's under pressure and wants to secure a new deal.
He's doing exactly the same mistakes that has cost him his job at PSG.
And if he doesn't change v quickly, it will cost his job at Arsenal too.

He has to do much much better.

uriazu

It seems that he tries to force on a team that is not build for that something it cannot perform properly. We fail at this with every pressuring team including when we play again the worst sides in the premier league.
We can take such risks against those teams (but also sometimes we pay heavily for them).
This was absolute nonsense in my opinion, he is too stucked in an idea that doesnt fit.
Specially when we had the best outcome yesterday when we played to depth quickly.
Against a raging team like Liverpool you should pick a better strategy and act as the inferior team you are almost in every position.
Pretty dissapointing but I wasn't expecting anything else TBH.

M_A_X

We adapt "Park the bus" style pretty well for like 40 mins, need more games to play it fully 90 min. 9 players sit at the back and pass the ball to Zaha oops, Pepe wish he make some miracle to score a goal or two. ;)

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

We need players back from injury and Emery to picked a settled team that can learn each others football inside out. He tinkers so much, every game is a new line up and system, its no wonder players look lost often or leave gaps open. No manager wins trophies like that right now, needs to get this team drilled and settled ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom