• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is your preferred midfield?

What three players would you prefer to start in midfield?

• Xhaka

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • Torreira

Votes: 147 86.0%
  • Özil

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Guendouzi

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • Willock

Votes: 99 57.9%
  • Ceballos

Votes: 154 90.1%

• Total voters

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
For one, I thought Xhaka wasn't bad vs Pool and didn't think Guendouzi was good either. I also think Xhaka has certain qualities that make him a starter more often than not. But he has so many flaws too.

Yet you think he'll make Barcelona tick. That's the difference.

With positionally sound players around him of the Barcelona calibre hell yes

Wtf you think Iniesta would survive a two man midfield in the PL because he is technical? That is naive

Kroos, Modric, Rakitic et al

All of them would struggle playing in our inept formation, tactical setup and with our crop the last 10years

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
And did he not do just the thing you say he cant vs Pool? The attacks didnt go thru him he closed of his area...

Better to have him on the pitch because at the very least (and more imo) he is where he is supposed to be
Guendozi isnt,
Willock looks lost att times and becomes non-influential.
Their inexperience gets dumped in Xhaka and he is blamed, how is that fair?
Even Torreira whom I like is not enough to play in just a double pivot due to lack of size.

I know he isnt the fastest, I aint stoopid regardless what some think or says and I have eyes, I dont think he is a allrounder do everything guy.

For years I have promoted a 3 men midfield, because it suits all of our players more, including Xhaka
People say he aint Pirlo but I disagree somewhat...
Guess what Pirlo did most of the time? Played with 2 other midfielders ffs! One dynamic and one Gattuso, in juve to

But Xhaka is expected to do without?
So explain why didn’t finish top 4 when we had Santi, Ramsey and Coquelin has his midfield partners. They’re experienced right? We moved to a back 3 to bring out the best in Xhaka and hey presto we finished out of the top 4 again. So please let me hear the excuses for Xhaka.

RunTheTrap

With positionally sound players around him of the Barcelona calibre hell yes

Wtf you think Iniesta would survive a two man midfield in the PL because he is technical? That is naive

Kroos, Modric, Rakitic et al

All of them would struggle playing in our inept formation, tactical setup and with our crop the last 10years
No if Barca were looking for an Arsenal midfielder it would be Cellabos or Guendouzi. Now I’m not saying Guendouzi is or ever will be Barca quality but he’s the type of midfielder they would go for. Guendouzi is a poor man’s de Jong while Xhaka is a poor man’s Lee Catermole, just kidding, a poor man Xabi Alonso. Alonso is retired and not what Barca would go after because how quick paced football has become.

Football has changed a lot, deep lying playmakers with no mobility are struggling, hence why Jorginho and Xhaka are useless. These days mobility and ability to handle a press is key, all attributes that Xhaka does not possess. If it were 2008 then Xhaka would be a top player but we’re e in 2019 and just like your mindset, he’s outdated and the longer we keep him here, the more we struggle

Last edited:

OmegaOs

No if Barca were looking for an Arsenal midfielder it would be Cellabos or Guendouzi. Now I’m not saying Guendouzi is or ever will be Barca quality but he’s the type of midfielder they would go for. Guendouzi is a poor man’s de Jong while Xhaka is a poor man’s Lee Catermole, just kidding, a poor man Xabi Alonso. Alonso is retired and not what Barca would go after because how quick paced football has become.

Football has changed a lot, deep lying playmakers with no mobility are struggling, hence why Jorginho and Xhaka are useless. These days mobility and ability to handle a press is key, all attributes that Xhaka does not possess. If it were 2008 then Xhaka would be a top player but we’re e in 2019 and just like your mindset, he’s outdated and the longer we keep him here, the more we struggle
Spot on, Xhaka is the past and hopefully Guendouzi is the future. Guendouzi has weaknesses but they can be fixed unlike Xhaka's.

Jae

For years I have promoted a 3 men midfield, because it suits all of our players more, including Xhaka. People say he aint Pirlo but I disagree somewhat...

Please don't mention Xhaka and Pirlo in the same sentence, like they are somehow comparable...

Pirlo was brilliant regardless of the position he was on the pitch, how many midfielders he played with and which specifc teammates he played with. Talent is talent mate.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That’s the depressing thing about our midfield, individually they all have their qualities but none of them really cover each other’s weaknesses.

So in the end we’ve left we a rather poor choice of options.

Ceballos, Willock and Guendouzi all need to prove themselves more before earning a guaranteed started spot. Really not a fan of how the latter has established himself in the 11 with little competition.

Xhaka keeps getting the same excuses every season about needing the right partner, but continues to make the same mistakes. Saving gracing is that due to how poorly we play out for the back that we rely on him. But he’s no Pirlo, Alonso or even Arteta.

Torreira started his Arsenal career on fire but either being moved around or couldn’t keep up with the physicality or the league. A shame about his height because it’s probably the one thing holding him back.

zilfy

Torreira started his Arsenal career on fire but either being moved around or couldn’t keep up with the physicality or the league. A shame about his height because it’s probably the one thing holding him back.
I think Torreira burnt out because he was overplayed at the back end of last season- hardly ever rested.

With the addition of willock, ceballos, and even chambers and Luiz (who can play dm) in our midfield, he will have the chance to rest this time around. I think hes gonna be monstrous this year (in a good way, not in a mustafi kind of way)

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I'm a fan of Xhaka but even I think Barca wouldn't look twice :lol:

Perhaps his style would be a good fit for the Spanish league but they're used to the likes of Messi/Iniesta and Coutinho can't even get in the team, let alone the fact Fabregas, our best ever midfielder, couldn't force his way into the team long term either...I don't think Xhaka is getting in the squad.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Out of all the options discussed here, Emery chose the worse / most counter intuitive one today

Any combination with Guendozi will be wrong because he doesnt move in sync with his teammates.

As I wrote that he assisted but I Still stick to My guns

Bergkamp1988

Any combination with Guendozi will be wrong because he doesnt move in sync with his teammates.

As I wrote that he assisted but I Still stick to My guns

Agreed. I actually believe in this player but he roams around mindlessly like a happy Labrador

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Its ****ed.

Needs atleast one external signing in January to complement the strengths we have & cover for the weaknesses. Three individuals with no partnerships at the mo.

RunTheTrap

Our best midfield was the Burnley one. We had clear defined roles and everyone was at their best. Cellabos the playmaker, Willock the powerful box to box runner and Guendouzi the builder. I wish Emery stuck with that. Let Torreira build up some fitness before shoehorning him and drop Xhaka in the Sahara desert

Top Bottom