• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Torreira: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Don't know if I rate him tbh, he's always slipping all over the pitch. Definitely not Kante level.

Does anyone really want short arses in midfield? On the wings/FB it's fine, even in the number 10 role. But all my central players (CB,CM,ST) got to have height on them man.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Don't know if I rate him tbh, he's always slipping all over the pitch. Definitely not Kante level.

Does anyone really want short arses in midfield? On the wings/FB it's fine, even in the number 10 role. But all my central players (CB,CM,ST) got to have height on them man.
I'm also not feeling the hype I was last season. Talking of the slip, it always irritates me when players slip on our home surface. I know that it may be an illogical notion but it just irks me more than a slip on an away pitch.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Let’s be honest, he’s the new Coquelin at Arsenal. Good defender, limited passer.

Which is not really a bad thing per se.

But definitely overpaid when you can find such players in lower leagues for less. Playing him in attacking positions is as dumb as Wenger playing Coquelin in attacking positions.

Wryer

I refuse to believe he is a trash player. The difference is he had a very specific role to play at the beginning of last season - break up play, keep things simple.

That appears to have changed later on and it has greatly impacted his perceived value to the team

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I refuse to believe he is a trash player. The difference is he had a very specific role to play at the beginning of last season - break up play, keep things simple.

That appears to have changed later on and it has greatly impacted his perceived value to the team
Who said he was trash?

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
People underrate Kante’s quickness. He can cover the ground way more than most midfielders so it makes sense for him to be higher up the pitch. I don’t get Emery at all.

That`s the major difference between Torreira and Kante. Kante is very quick which makes him very hard to go past defensively and he can also carry the ball forward effectively.

Torreira is slow which means players like Pogba will go past him easily.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wasnt the tottenham game his first start this season, you guys have to give him more time. He didnt have a proper preseason either
He was excellent for us at the start of last season and then faded away after Christmas which happens to players who are new to PL.
I think him and Guendouzi can form an effective partnership in the heart of our midfield but need more game time together.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Sometimes I believe managers are complete idiots who don't know wtf they are doing, or want to be that genius innovater. Sarri who took the worlds best defensive midfielder with Kante and made him play more attacking so he could play safe pass merchant Jorginho. And now Emery that plays Torreira, clearly a defensive midfielder, as the most advanced midfielder in a three. WTF is wrong with these guys. Imagine Casemiro playing in front of Modric and Kroos. Valverde is doing it with Frenkie too, at least he is comfortable on the ball. But also not his role. Makes me angry.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Definitely needs to get back to his best, and quickly

Having said that it is funny how people that back Xhaka to the hilt are on Torreiras back after a bad few months.

There's competition for places in that midfield so hopefully each and everyone them steps up their game.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Sometimes I believe managers are complete idiots who don't know wtf they are doing, or want to be that genius innovater. Sarri who took the worlds best defensive midfielder with Kante and made him play more attacking so he could play safe pass merchant Jorginho. And now Emery that plays Torreira, clearly a defensive midfielder, as the most advanced midfielder in a three. WTF is wrong with these guys. Imagine Casemiro playing in front of Modric and Kroos. Valverde is doing it with Frenkie too, at least he is comfortable on the ball. But also not his role. Makes me angry.
For all the **** Sarri got vs Liverpool & Leicester looked like Frank stuck with it.

ASIF

What was he doing soo far up the pitch at first I thought he is just trying to make a few runs but he played almost behind the strikers all game which is beyond stupid from Emery.

progman07

Established Member
He had a very long season, then a summer tournament, and a late return to us. Give him time, his first few months very magnificent last year, but it's dependant on him being 100% fit, as his main strengths is pressing and closing down spaces which requires lots of running obviously.

I think on the ball we have a lot of potential through the squad, but there aren't many players whose off-the-ball movements matches Torreira's, which for me gives him an automatic start.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Don't know if I rate him tbh
Same, not quite sure yet and that’s usually not a good sign for me. I wasn’t quite sure if I rated Kola when he first started and he’s turned out to be trash.

Lucas is meant to be a Coquelin that can pass incisively and I’ve seen flashes of it but nowhere near enough yet. Every player gets two seasons anyway and I’m hoping he shows those flashes more regularly. He’s already at a disadvantage due to his height so he’s going to have to ball out.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

For all the **** Sarri got vs Liverpool & Leicester looked like Frank stuck with it.
That’s why I give Managers the benefit of the doubt. Sarri made Kante a CM and won two trophies and got CL football, and now a manager has seen the benefits of Kante at CM and continued.

I think they play Kante at CM because sitting him deep is a waste of his athleticism. He’s got the engine to be a true box to box CM, no need to sacrifice attack when he can do both.

FluffyDoozi

He's going to struggle until Bellerin is fully fit. Emery is going to keep playing him towards the right because Pepe is a lot central and doesn't really track back. Coupled with the fact that AMN is pretty mediocre defensively, he has help out on the right. Not sure he has the legs to do so.
We could try Willock in that role because he has the legs and play Lucas at defensive midfield. That also has issues of it's own because he isn't as good on the ball as we thought he was.

He still is only 23 so there's hopefully a lot more to come. Have a feeling though that he and Xhaka won't be here next year.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I like Torreira a lot and he was supposed to be the Coquelin and Cazorla player in one but let’s be honest. He’s closer to Coquelin than Cazorla at this moment of time. Far too timid on the ball for my liking and does not have the athleticism you want from in the era of pace and power Premier League. People want to see Guendouzi and Torreira together but I’m not too keen on that.

While I don’t like Xhaka at all, it does make sense to have height in the central positions. I personally think Torreira will be a tactical squad player. Someone you bring on when you want to hold on to the lead. I want us to move on from the Xhaka-Torreira pivot. It’s way too flat in midfield and slow to cover our full backs when they bomb upfield. I think Emery needs to get some balls and stick with a Guendouzi-Willock pivot. I think it has the most potential to be the best midfield at this club. Physically imposing (when they are both at a good age and hit the gym), both are quite progressive passers, energetic, youthful, they’re both good under a press and most of all they can press better than Torreira and Xhaka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom