• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

For me the tipping point was the end of last season and the EL Final. He cocked up in the league and the EL final was embarrassing, team was clueless and again our only attacking outlet was Kola, which is a disgrace.

likewise. He's been on borrowed time ever since from the fans.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Regarding Watford being the worst team in the league; they are cllearly not. The results for them up until yesterday did not reflect the whole picture, was just a matter of time until they started getting points accordingly. Very decent team
Yes yes they are a CL contender for sure the way we let them play. And get that clown David Luiz away from me.

Bergkamp1988

I am bothered. We are playing ugly low defensive line - counter attacking football without the defensive benefits that ought to come with that style of play.

I want us to play possession football again. Might be somewhat sterile at times but at least I'd know what sort of game we're playing.

Impact

Established Member
Still think we will get into the top 4 by virtue of our individual quality but unless there is a drastic change, I don't think Emery warrants an extension.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Would love to know how much influence Raul had in the Emery appointment, we all know the trio of Gazidis, Sven and Raul were the supposed 3 who all wanted Emery. However we seem to agree Sven was a bit of a fraud, Ivan jumped ship and now Raul seems to sort of have us on track.

We now have Edu in place as well and imo we still had a very good summer in terms of business.

I’d be interested to know the plans if Emery gets us CL, I think we’ll move on at the end of this season regardless.

My bet on the plan this year moving forward would be if we get top 4 by virtue of Utd and Chelsea being sh*tter and there’s no outstanding candidate on the market which I suspect there won’t be then he’ll get another year.

Mourinho is too risky, as much as I want him I reckon the club won’t be brave enough to go for Wilder and the likes of Valverde, Jardim, Marcelino, Kovac and Ancelotti would be sideways moves at best.

If we fail to get top 4 he’ll be gone without a doubt, I’m very sceptical about him but maybe they’ll go after Tuchel who’ll probably get sacked unless he wins the CL this year with PSG.

Could also see a year or two of a stop gap in that case like Mourinho, Benitez or even maybe Arteta until a Nagelsmann type has proven himself and is available.

Hexagon9

Still think we will get into the top 4 by virtue of our individual quality but unless there is a drastic change, I don't think Emery warrants an extension.

If he does manage top 4 I’d have thought he will get an extension? I’d also have thought that if he achieves that he’ll have deserved it as I don’t think Chelsea are nearly as poor as we’d hoped.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
It's too late for that now. Pretty much admitting defeat and that he is in over his head.

I don't want him to fail, but I'm almost convinced he will. Or rather he'd not good enough to succeed.
i don't think he'll stay for more than 2 years even if we finish in CL don't think he the right guy unless he change his style and tactics.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
We’re well and truly on the managerial merry go round. Like Liverpool between 1990 and now. A cycle of frustration and appointments, one after the other.

That's football though. Is and always has been. You only stick to managers that actually work out rather quickly or who have such high pedigree you give them a bit more time. In the end success is what determines if you can keep your job. Wenger and Ferguson were very special cases of which I feel they taint the picture of a lot of fans in terms of how long someone should be given. Also, which teams besides exactly Arsenal and United haven't been on the manager merry go round in the span of the last freaking three decades? You can count them on one hand and the reason they stuck to someone for so long was development increasing chances of success and finally success.

It doesn't make any sense to just keep someone for the sake of not firing/hiring too quickly when the actual signs after more than 1 season and 2 full preseasons clearly point to the Emery/Arsenal relationship not going anywhere. That's ample time to evaluate how a manager is doing.

E.g. after that honeymoon period United and Solskjaer had, that was after a couple of games in, the majority on this forum was of the opinion it was foolish of Utd to hire him permanently - and that was after what, 10, 12 games - but Emery can't be properly judged after 63 games now?

If you're on the lookout for success down the line, there's gotta be something there to find in a team. Doesn't matter if it's a killer attack, a rigid defense, a dominant possession game, a counter stlye or a cohesive press. Just something where you feel like this is going somewhere, and while it may not lead to instant success or winning sprees tomorrow, next month or even next season, there's a constant development of certain traits or say identity based on a manager's clear ideas on how to win a football game. There's been enough time gone by now to recognize this is not the case at Arsenal. I know you've got a very own way of seeing certain things with your focus on squad cost, but watching games like these - even with the acknowledgement of the squad still having certain holes - this is below what this squad should be able to do. This is all individual quality bailing the team out time and again.

This is also why some on here actually "rate" Lampard. The guy has instilled a clear idea on how he wants his team to play in the matter of a few months. At this point it's not so much about them consistently winning, which they don't do anyway, but that there's a feeling of: This is going somewhere. There's a an idea, there's a plan; once that's been worked into the team even more, consistency and results will likely get better. And as there actually is a fundamental plan behind it, it's easier to judge if things get better or worse.

Also, performances like those by Watford against Arsenal or Norwich against City - to only name two from the last matchday - do show to massive extent that squad cost and individual quality isn't the end of it all. Collective organization, team spirit, an overall clear idea tweaked on matchday to better fit the opposition, etc. are of importance, too.

I may also note that after having seen VfB Stuttgart's clearout of 20 outs and 19 ins, including a new manager, and DoF and TD having both said they needed such a big turnover to form a new team, especially for mental reasons, I think Arsenal may need the same. Not just for the lack of quality in certain areas, but to form a new unit of players and change the internal synergies. It's good players like Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Monreal, Welbeck and Ospina are already gone, but, like I said besides quality issues, I feel like more have to follow to get together and build a wholly new group for mostly mental reasons. Unfortunately I think Unai Emery is not the man to build this new team over the next seasons.

Keep him until the end of the season if things don't go completely south, cause without that I don't think it's wise to change a manager mid season, also keeping in mind there's no one out there to instantly take over. Let him go at the end of the season, though, and continue the squad rebuild with someone new.

Last edited:

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
****, we such a long way from playing beautiful football again, Emery has us serving turgid crap of Play from the back leading to nowhere and cutbacks.

While small minions like Norwich serve these great moments of brilliance.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It help to get his tactics more clear to his players every time we use new formation with it take few games for his players to understand and that costing us
Why do we need a new formation every week though?

A top club should have a system in place that is used most weeks. We should be like Liverpool, Sp**s, City, Wolves, Norwich, Chelsea etc where we have our own game.

Bergkamp1988

Everybody really sh*tting on Emery now. Didn’t take long.

We’re well and truly on the managerial merry go round. Like Liverpool between 1990 and now. A cycle of frustration and appointments, one after the other.

Until we get a midfield with some leaders that can think quickly and pass it about, we’re going nowhere though. No manager will progress with Xhaka at the heart of it with lightweight Torreira and youngster Douzi. And our two CBs are a joke. No spine.

Well I'm sure the players arent helping but the problem seems deeper. It seems that Unay never gives the instruction to keep the ball. Especially in a game like yesterday. The team kept insisting on countering instead of callming the tempo and I don't think that's just the players fault.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not his fault but Emery doesn’t have the charisma to get fans on his side either.

Look at a guy like Rafa, fans buy into him wherever he goes, Madrid aside.

Emery, you don’t care if he’s here or not.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
That's football though. Is and always has been. You only stick to managers that actually work out rather quickly or who have such high pedigree you give them a bit more time. In the end success is what determines if you can keep your job. Wenger and Ferguson were very special cases of which I feel they taint the picture of a lot of fans in terms of how long someone should be given.

It doesn't make any sense to just keep someone for the sake of not firing/hiring too quickly when the actual signs after more than 1 season and 2 full preseasons clearly point to the Emery/Arsenal relationship not going anywhere. That's ample time to evaluate how a manager is doing.

E.g. after that honeymoon period United and Solskjaer had, that was after a couple of games in, the majority on this forum was of the opinion it was foolish of Utd to hire him permanently - and that was after what, 10, 12 games - but Emery can't be properly judged after 63 games now?

If you're on the lookout for success down the line, there's gotta be something there to find in a team. Doesn't matter if it's a killer attack, a rigid defense, a dominant possession game, a counter stlye or a cohesive press. Just something where you feel like this is going somewhere, and while it may not lead to instant success or winning sprees tomorrow, next month or even next season, there's a constant development of certain traits or say and identity based on a manager's clear ideas on how to win a football game. There's been enough time gone by now to recognize this is not the case at Arsenal. I know you've got a very own way of seeing certain things with your focus on squad cost, but watching games like these - even with the acknowledgement of the squad still having certain holes - this is below what this squad should be able to do. This is all individual quality bailing the team out time and again.

This is also why some on here actually "rate" Lampard. The guy has instilled a clear idea on how he wants his team to play in the matter of a few months. At this point it's not so much about them consistently winning, which they don't do anyway, but that there's a feeling of: This is going somewhere. There's a an idea, there's a plan; once that's been worked into the team even more, consistency and results will likely get better. And as there actually is a fundamental plan behind it, it's easier to judge if things get better or worse.

Also, performances like those by Watford against Arsenal or Norwich against City - to only name two from the last matchday - do show to massive extent that squad cost and individual quality isn't the end of it all. Collective organization, team spirit, an overall clear idea tweaked on matchday to better fit the opposition, etc.

I may also note that after having seen VfB Stuttgart's clearout of 20 outs and 19 ins, including a new manager, and DoF and TD having both said they needed such a big turnover to form a new team, especially for mental reasons, I think Arsenal may need the same. Not just for the lack of quality in certain areas, but to form a new unit of players and change the internal synergies. It's good players like Elneny, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Monreal, Welbeck and Ospina are already gone, but, like I said besides quality issues, I feel like more have to follow to get together and build a wholly new group for mostly mental reasons. Unfortunately I think Unai Emery is not the man to build this new team over the next seasons.

Keep him until the end of the season if things don't go completely south, cause without that I don't think it's wise to change a manager mid season, also keeping in mind there's no one out there to instantly take over. Let him go at the end of the season, though, and continue the squad rebuild with someone new.

Brilliant post, thanks.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
****, we such a long way from playing beautiful football again, Emery has us serving turgid crap of Play from the back leading to nowhere and cutbacks.

While small minions like Norwich serve these great moments of brilliance.

Look how they play it out from the back or their third. Short, crisp passing but the main things is watch how they move around. They receive, move, pass, move, receive - they create passing angles and options through off the ball movement evading the opposition press. That's how you do it; Arsenal's "version" of this is shambolic in contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom