• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
IMO, we've had a tendency at Arsenal to look at younger players in particular based almost solely on technical ability. If a player does not have the right personality (e.g. a bit of an 'edge') for top level football it doesn't matter about their "technical talent" they still will never become a top player (to play against a Barcelona in the CL) and the investment in that player has to be cut short. In some ways we've done this with Iwobi. Some would have liked to have kept him for another season but the club ruthlessly cashed in based on what they predicted was his ceiling.

I'm not convinced regarding Reiss, almost solely on personality, not technical, although I could be wrong, but I do sense he is on borrowed time right now. There is a clear personality difference from Saka, and it doesn't take a football connoisseur to instinctively pick this up even just casually watching the both of them.
I think Nelson has a higher ceiling than Iwobi based on his potential for end product. If he can lean on that, theres no doubt in my mind he will be fine here.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
IMO the reason why Nelson has struggled the most is because he is physically the worse out of the Hale End group. He needs to go on a program to bulk up because he probably does not feel confident to take people on like he does at u23 level. He should alter his game to make more runs like Saka. Also, putting him on the right will force him to make better decisions.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Must have been rested to start today.
BNJR.gif

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Atleast he signed a long term contract.

I think he will be like Sterling eventually.
Beginning to think Emery just doesn't like him. How anyone can draw conclusions so soon when hes barely even had a run. Hes had not even 2 games worth of minutes. I'm really pissed off at how this has turned out, barely a chance. Only mitigating factor is Sakas swift emergence but I dont like how everyones already decided Nelson isn't good enough. Its bullshit.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Beginning to think Emery just doesn't like him. How anyone can draw conclusions so soon when hes barely even had a run. Hes had not even 2 games worth of minutes. I'm really pissed off at how this has turned out, barely a chance. Only mitigating factor is Sakas swift emergence but I dont like how everyones already decided Nelson isn't good enough. Its bullshit.

Nelson's bottled every chance Emery's given him while Saka's impressed when given the chance. It should be a meritocracy, Nelson hasn't done enough to get more minutes.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Nelson's bottled every chance Emery's given him while Saka's impressed when given the chance. It should be a meritocracy, Nelson hasn't done enough to get more minutes.
Sometimes it really is as simple as it appears.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Hes barely had any minutes himself though. Saka had a great start so I'm pleased but I'm still very disappointed with how quickly one of our best talents is already being written off here. He didn't bottle it v Newcastle either so not every chance.

Kingofthebongo

Hes barely had any minutes himself though. Saka had a great start so I'm pleased but I'm still very disappointed with how quickly one of our best talents is already being written off here. He didn't bottle it v Newcastle either so not every chance.

But again, the best talent thing is your opinion based on non-senior level performances. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he is even top 5 most talented from our under 20 year olds based on senior level performances.
Saka
Nketiah
Guendouzi
Smith Rowe
Joe willock

He is beneath all of those in terms of talent in my opinion. Talent encompassing other facets of the game. Usually people that low in the pecking order of youth in a team end up sold.

Although, we can't write him off yet, maybe dropping down the pecking order will reinvigorate him - or maybe he will be happy to simply be a footballing pro (huge accomplishment anyway). I hope he rises to the challenge but I hesitate to blame the coaching staff for this, I think it is more on him to up his game.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Nelson got 2 starts at the beginning of the season. That itself is a huge vote of confidence, How many players of his age and experience start for a top 6 side? He was given some more minutes against Watford. Up to now he hasn't shown anything which suggest he can contribute. Because of that he is getting less minutes, it doesn't mean we gave up on him, it means he has to keep working and show us he is ready.

Yes it can be a vicious cycle, if you don't get the minutes you can't develop. But at the same time you just can't keep playing someone just in the hope they eventually break out. You usually let them do that at less important competitions like EL and LC etc.

One thing Emery has shown is when a young player shows anything useful when they get their chance (like Saka did against Frankfurt), he has no qualms about selecting that player again.

Nelson still has time, no need to write him off yet, he has to eventually start showing something though. Unrealised potential after all is just as much use as if you didnt have any potential at all.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
He has the ability no doubt. I think he just needs to focus on what sort of player he wants to be and use his strengths.

For me, the best aspect of his game is his goal scoring. At youth level he tore it up and even on his loan spell last season he scored goals. He’s a good dribbler but not Mbappe/Sterling esque in that regard and I also think he isn’t as quick.

He should focus on one touch play, and movement in behind. He’s good enough to take his player on but in our first two games it seemed as if he wanted to showcase his dribbling more than his eye for goal.

Gutted his goal was ruled offside against Burnley. That could’ve been a game changer for him.

LG10

Atleast he signed a long term contract.

I think he will be like Sterling eventually.
Sterling is impeccable physically, Nelson won't get close to that level. Completely different style anyways. Gotta wait for Emery to get sacked to see the best of him.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
It's not just two game though is it? He was poor on loan, **** during pre-season and has been generally poor when given chance so far. Why should he get chances over other players?

Pepes blue pill

hyperbole is bloody everywhere in football these days, calm down and give him time, guess what, there is a good chance he doesnt make it at the top, most young players dont and for good reason but hold back on the judgement until he's had a proper chance......he's obviously highly rated within the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom