• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Decent game from him. Didnt play any better than our youngsters though.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Need to find a way to get him playing without losing anything defensively.

He just has that something that nobody else in the team does.

Come on Trills, just looks at our defensive record under Wengs even just the season before playing guys like Özil, Xhaka and Mustafi , Wilshere it's still better than Unai's in every metric :lol:

Don't fall for the bullshit , we are conceding because there is an acre of space in mid and virtually no tracking back. It's systemic. Has Özil not paying made a difference to the 100 shots on target per game ?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Could barely walk in the second half, I can't believe he still gets support here. He can't even match Willock anymore to get any minutes in the PL. Absolute disgrace this for what he earns

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
We can play him on the right to roam when Bellerin is back to full fitness, play Pepe on the left with Auba upfront.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
It's strange to me how much **** he's still getting. He's been good in every game he's played this season, and looks like he wants to play.

Our chance creation is poor without him. Not sure how that can be disputed.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
It's strange to me how much **** he's still getting. He's been good in every game he's played this season, and looks like he wants to play.

While I agree for the most part I thought we created a lot more when he went off but not because he went off.. If that makes sense.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Özil is basically a Ceballos who doesn't try to win the ball back after making a wrong pass. Until he adds that to his game he isn't a starter for Emery.

Iceman10

Established Member
Maybe it is me, but when there was a poll regarding what to do with Özil over the summer transfer window, the vast majority in that poll, iirc, voted "don't care" or "sell him". I was initially "don't care" and then thought it might be worth persisting based on a potential front line of Auba-Laca-Pepe being something for him to look forward to at Arsenal.

In the Watford game, I didn't see the hunger and desire I wanted to see in a player, to show they still had considerable footballing ambition, and I just came to the view that if Emery determined Özil did not merit being a first team regular on the back of that I would understand. Therefore dropping him for the game at Villa was not a surprise for me. The performance against Nottm. Forest yesterday was again not exactly standout. Some launched into the manager for taking him off early. Maybe the manager took him off early because the manager wanted to leave options flexible for the match at United? Who knows. I am sceptical of him being given a start at Old Trafford, but we will see.

Anyway, I'm still left scratching my head somewhat at most here at A-M already having given up on the player after the EL final, and now there are so many people apparently here who are lashing out at the manager for apparently not having Özil as a first team regular at this point. Some are even moaning along the lines of "why is Emery leaving out our star player" (!). I get many are unhappy with the manager for overall selections/tactics, but does that unhappiness lead to magically altered opinions of players left out just because? It's just a bit weird, esp. as I've ended up with my current opinion of Özil after defending him and giving him a lot of benefit of the doubt for much longer than most here previously did.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
While I agree for the most part I thought we created a lot more when he went off but not because he went off.. If that makes sense.
it is strange. we were creating a lot of chances but they were just not going in. In fact, we scored the moment he stepped off!

Özil is basically a Ceballos who doesn't try to win the ball back after making a wrong pass. Until he adds that to his game he isn't a starter for Emery.
Ceballos is not a #10.

Ceballos played almost the whole game v/s Villa and made 1 chance. Özil made 6, while playing with our youngsters :|

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli

What, he's been very good one game, and decent the others. People seems to never actually have seen a person run the show if they think thats what he did against watford and yesterday.

RandomHero84

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saka
I'm neither totally pro Özil or against. What I do think is he gives quality in the final third. He's had am unbelievably disturbed two seasons, in some part, his fault, in others, not at all.

The arrival of Özil coincided with us actually breaking our trophy drought. Consecutively. He's given us some of the best moments we've seen in an Arsenal shirt over the last decade. I am certain opposition are happy when he is not starting behind aubameyang.

My main concern is our chance creation. Its pitiful. Now if we lose a bit of that in favour of defensive stability, or midfield dominance, fine. I can get behind that. But we are conceding load of shots on goal, turning over possession way too much, and creating not enough.

His ball retention is very good. His chance creation is still one of the best in the squad, an leaving him out doesn't seem to help us defensively at all. So for me it's kind of a simple equation. He's not a nailed on starter for every game, but he surely should be playing a bigger part in our games.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

What, he's been very good one game, and decent the others. People seems to never actually have seen a person run the show if they think thats what he did against watford and yesterday.
He’s played two games ...? He was good in both, what else do we want? Our team is better in attack with him. Our defense is not worse with him, because he’s not a defender. If anything we could have used him after he was subbed against watford because nobody in midfield or attack could make the right decision on the ball, and that’s something he does well. But **** it, three DM’s away at old trafford it is, another **** team with no confidence and we will help them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom