• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Probably was communicated to Özil, but im guessing he's banking on outlasting Emery.
So he's going all-in on not only out-lasting Emery, but also banking on the next manager to pick him which, all things considered, is unlikely. Maybe he just wants the 'out-lasted Emery' trophy... No good to us or him.

say yes

forum master baiter
Don't know....... pretty good record at OT. Even back in the Madrid days .

Are you sure we’re talking about the same player? :lol:

Only decent performance I ever remember him having there was in 2016 when their kids effectively extinguished our title challenge vs. Leicester. Never had an impact outside of that game (which we lost humiliatingly- his and Welbeck’s efforts aside).

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
Unbelievable. I know he's not a starter under Emery but how can you go to OT without him in the squad? I'm baffled.

If we create **** all and lose we riot.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Could have used him from the bench, but then again it's an away game and it's pretty drizzly and cold today.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mertesacker’s biography, among many other things leaked from the club recently. Pretty sure Unai has even challenged him in public to train harder.

There was literally a video last week of him not taking training seriously. Will try to find it, it was on twitter tho.

blaze_of_glory

Mertesacker’s biography, among many other things leaked from the club recently. Pretty sure Unai has even challenged him in public to train harder.
Unai's word means nothing, man is compromised in this and has a clear agenda against the player in order to elevate his own silly ideas about the game.

Interested in what Merte has to say though.

say yes

forum master baiter
Unai's word means nothing, man is compromised in this and has a clear agenda against the player in order to elevate his own silly ideas about the game.

Interested in what Merte has to say though.

Here you go:
(Mirror)Mertesacker quotes about him. Very very interesting:

And Mertesacker says there are steps that Özil can take to recifty the problem.

He said: “I hope Mesut can get fit. Unai requires a certain fitness level. Unai is fair to everyone. You need to deliver a certain fitness level – then you are available to play. Unai tries to get through to him. He talks to him. He says: ‘You need to train to a certain level every day – I need you to be fit – otherwise you are not going to play.’

That’s what I’ve seen. He puts him in the squad but then leaves him on the bench. If he trains to the level that’s required, he can play.

“Personally, I’m in favour of that. When Mesut is fit, he is one of our best players. He needs to be in there. We need to build the team around him and make him stronger.”

However, Mertesacker admits that he is at a loss as to how to motivate the 30-year-old.

He added: “It’s his personality, he doesn’t take it personally.

“I don’t know what the trigger is. I had my go. I’ve tried very hard to be close, to stay away from him...sometimes I’ve given him a shout, sometimes not. He was okay with everything.

“It’s about Mesut himself.

“He can deliver for us. I gave him the feeling I trusted him on the pitch. I knew in pressure situations, I could give him the ball.

“He has talent. Now it’s up to others to unlock it.”

Fits with all of Unai’s comments in the media about Özil needing to work ‘more consistently’ in training as well as a lot of media reports (going back to Unai’s very first pre-season here) about Özil struggling to adapt to the new intensity in training.

Not saying that it’s the correct approach, by the way. I think that when you’ve got someone as talented as Mesut you might want to make it easier for him. But I’m not the manager and I can certainly believe Unai is the kind of manager determined not to have favourites.

He’s not being dropped due to a lack of talent, and I don’t buy that he’s having all these constant injuries. What else could it be?

Jovi

Emery when asked whether Özil is ill or dropped from the squad vs United.
"This is the squad I picked"

Something's really going on.

say yes

forum master baiter
Yeah those comments from Unai were brutal :lol:

He’s not injured, just not in the squad he’s picked.

blaze_of_glory

Here you go:

Fits with all of Unai’s comments in the media about Özil needing to work ‘more consistently’ in training as well as a lot of media reports (going back to Unai’s very first pre-season here) about Özil struggling to adapt to the new intensity in training.

Not saying that it’s the correct approach, by the way. I think that when you’ve got someone as talented as Mesut you might want to make it easier for him. But I’m not the manager and I can certainly believe Unai is the kind of manager determined not to have favourites.

He’s not being dropped due to a lack of talent, and I don’t buy that he’s having all these constant injuries. What else could it be?
Definitely seems to a disagreement over training styles then.

I'd take the guy who's won the WC over Mr. Europa League in terms of knowing what's needed, but we all know who's in charge.

Beast Incarnate

I can't believe so many still defend Özil despite his plethora of underwhelming performances the last couple of years.

Iwobi was hounded out of the club and he was a lot more consistent than Özil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom