• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Does seem like Pepe is struggling more than he could be if he was getting on the ball more in dangerous positions. I think he's snatching at things a lot because the opportunities to do something are few and far between. Feels like he's both trying too hard to force things that aren't there and also getting overly excited for the rare moments when he actually does have a good chance.
Watford were able to get Deulofeu 1v1 vs Ainsley 20 times in our game against them. Was constant trouble. We should try to do that for Pepe.

But three holding midfielders...

thierrytheking14

Give it time. He scored his first league goal last week so that should give him a bit more confidence. He's also performing pretty well in the games he has played in and is creating chances.
Hence I said 'right now'. I'm not expecting instant results. Players need time to settle.

But you have to admit he was poor last night. Looks shot of confidence.

darkgunner

His problems look like they run deeper than Emery's tactics. He looked completely out of his depth at times out there last night. Was really sloppy on the ball and didn't do much work off the ball.

thierrytheking14

Well he did add 2 assists and a goals already tbh.
2 assists and a penalty mate. Not comparing the two directly but Saka has 3 assists and a goal from open play.

As @GDeep™ said, I'll judge him more next season when hes had a full season to settle in and got to pace with the PL but I'm a bit concerned that he won't have the output we need.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Very underwhelming :facepalm:

Not panicking yet, but don't see enough to justify the price tag. Needs to improve massively

Have to say I've not been impressed. He looks like he has the quality but isn't putting it together for whatever reason.

Comparisons to Henry and Bobby are silly, are we going to do this every time a new player doesn't catch fire? They're not all going to turn into 20-30 goal a season wingers. He might take time to become great for us, or he might be **** and we've made a mistake. Time will tell.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This is all in his head right now, he needs to put it all together. It's in his hands. He's looking like a shadow of the player who played vs Liverpool ffs.

Keep playing him until something comes off for him, a penalty isn't enough for him to convince himself he's doing something good yet. He needs to fashion a goal himself.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Have to say I've not been impressed. He looks like he has the quality but isn't putting it together for whatever reason.

Comparisons to Henry and Bobby are silly, are we going to do this every time a new player doesn't catch fire? They're not all going to turn into 20-30 goal a season wingers. He might take time to become great for us, or he might be **** and we've made a mistake. Time will tell.
The whole idea of the comparisons is simply to make reference to the fact that we had to wait a bit for Pires and Henry to shine... You end the post in the same way basically. Bit of a pointless argument..

rupscund

Said it before but his control at speed isn't good enough. You can't coach that. You can get away with it in Ligue 1 but it will become more apparent as time goes on and more is expected of him, and he delivers less.

Nelson for me over him now.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Said it before but his control at speed isn't good enough. You can't coach that. You can get away with it in Ligue 1 but it will become more apparent as time goes on and more is expected of him, and he delivers less.

Nelson for me over him now.

His finishing which was a major selling point looks like it’s gone off a cliff from the Ligue 1 highlight vids though.

Now he’s either skying them or hitting shots with no power straight at the keeper.

This second striker bollocks that Emery has him doing isn’t helping but I’m a little worried. Saka looked more like a big money signing than him last night.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Should have signed Ziyech.

You spelled Rebic wrong :p

But tbh I am still on the bandwagon, he will adapt soon enough, even if he hasnt raked up the goals/assists his skills and athletic ability affects games more than Mkitharyan ever did, and he is better then Iwobi

Last edited:

sammy89

Just watched some of his YouTube highlight reels to cope with the dread I'm feeling. Ligue 1 signings must be given some time to adjust to the Premier League level. When I watch Ligue 1 highlights, they still get acres of space and they barely get clattered with tactical fouls. That's Championship level in England. Give him time though, he's a good player for sure.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Hope he can shine in the EL on Thursday, hopefully helps his confidence a bit. Really not convinced so far, have only seen flashes of quality and many more flashes of dross (mostly first touches, unconvincing passes etc.).

If he doesn't play well against Standard he needs to be benched against Bournemouth. Perhaps he should be benched even if he plays well, given that it's very hard to play 3 games in 7 days if you're adjusting to a new league.

I was thinking perhaps we could use Özil in a free role there against Bournemouth. We do play silkier football with Özil on the pitch even if he doesn't play that well. Could also try Nelson, but he hasn't really warranted an inclusion and it makes more sense to play him Thursday.

Ewarwoowar

Don't know if these quotes are real, but I'm glad he knows he's underperforming. As I said, not worried one bit about this guy.
Yes they are real, taken from an interview with French media RMC.

Pires has commented that he is not worried by Pepe's form stating it took him(Pires) 7 months to settle in this league, adding "The intensity is much higher and yet I came from the club Olympique de Marseille.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom