• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He must take his chances, even if he is on for just 20 mins he should prove himself for more opportunities. Saka,Willock have already overtaken him as a first team squad regular, if ESR keep himself fit he would also get more first team chances.
I can't even bring myself to mention Nelson in the same sentence as those players. They are just so clearly ahead of him.

GDeep™

League is very weak
We shouldn’t be making judgements on any players while that bum Emery is here.

We have Pepe coming to the half way line to get the ball, we have Auba out wide crossing to Lucas Torreira in the box etc. Team is living off scraps.

Emery has sucked out any creative impetus, Auba aside, all the attackers are struggling.

GoonerBoy19

We have Pepe coming to the half way line to get the ball, we have Auba out wide crossing to Lucas Torreira in the box etc. Team is living off scraps.

Emery has sucked out any creative impetus, Auba aside, all the attackers are struggling.

Agree with that, our midfield do not have any control on the game. Its Sunday league level gung-ho football at the moment where skilled players do everything by themselves.

But again Nelson haven't been impressive. He slow and takes time on the ball. Saka and Willock are miles ahead, even I was impressed with Dan James and Perriera. Some really good kids who could light up the PL.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

While I agree with this in theory, he still isn't looking at all comfortable at this level while Willock and Saka who are dealing with the same manager are showing great promise and even moments of magic.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Worried that his confidence could nose dive further when Bellerin, Tierney and Lacazette return.

With those three in the squad does he even make the 18?
Not in every game, but in domestic cup games and EL group stage he should play a role and try to impress.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Somebody already mentioned this but he seems more like a #10 than a winger. He looked explosive amongst his peers but that can always be deceiving, he also looks like he put on some muscle mass which can hinder your pace (case in point, Bellerin).

He's very good in thight spaces and can drive with the ball forward, has an eye for a pass and very decent finishing. Would love to see him get a run as a #10 but considering how Emery sees this position I'm not confident we'll see it on a regular basis.

Pepes blue pill

Somebody already mentioned this but he seems more like a #10 than a winger. He looked explosive amongst his peers but that can always be deceiving, he also looks like he put on some muscle mass which can hinder your pace (case in point, Bellerin).

He's very good in thight spaces and can drive with the ball forward, has an eye for a pass and very decent finishing. Would love to see him get a run as a #10 but considering how Emery sees this position I'm not confident we'll see it on a regular basis.

I keep on thinking it would be interesting to see him as a number 10 whenever I see him play aswell

progman07

Established Member
It would be interesting to see him play winger under a manager who is focused on possession and control. Yesterday Nelson was extremely separated from the other players on the pitch, Chambers had to stay back because of his yellow and later his cramp, and Ceballos was not close enough to him either.

What's worrying is that he doesn't seem to have the physical attributes yet, even after 2 years of first team football, but not all players mature the same time.

Who knows really whether he is a next Afobe, next Iwobi, or next Gnabry really (although I think for Gnabry it was always obvious that he has amazing ball control and acceleration to be a successful winger).

Impact

Established Member
Ridiculous overreactions here. Reiss Nelson has played all of 151 PL minutes (which is about a game and half plus additional minutes) and so many of you are ready to write him off?!

There is no foolproof way to integrate players into the first team. Some adapt instantly, others take some time.

Willock and Saka should be praised for how quickly they have adapted rather than being used as a stick to beat Nelson over the head.

Another important point to factor into any assessment, particularly when comparing Reiss to Saka, Nelson is more of an advanced playmaker with goalscoring capabilities. Think Eden Hazard or Samir Nasri if you want an Arsenal reference. That type of player will only thrive in an integrated attacking system which quite frankly Emery has failed to build. Is it any wonder that Özil and Ceballos both look distinctly average in Emery's set up?

Saka's a more traditional winger. Such players rely a lot less on a cohesive attacking strategy. Saka's game is more about his 1v1 prowess and movement off the ball. It's why it's been easier for him to showcase his obvious ability. Bare in mind, this is not to downplay how well Saka has done but rather to contextualise the circumstances that have led to his success and by contrast led to the difficulties Nelson has faced.

It's no surprise that in the one game this season where Arsenal have dominated possession/territory and have had multiple attacking phases, Nelson got a goal, an assist and a pre-assist against N Forest.

Give Nelson time. Show some faith. Put pressure on Emery to build a real attack rather the one man Aubameyang band. We will then see if he has the talent to make it. And I'm confident he does.

Uncle Good-Advice

He's simply not strong enough atm. I don't think he won any physical duel when he came on against Watford, yesterday he was outmuscled even by Daniel James. He needs bulking up but the club probably doesn't want to affect his physical growth and I can understand that. Guys like Saka or Willock are built much stronger and therefore have less problems with physical side of the game. It may take a year or two but I don't think we should give up on him so easily.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

Its such a dying position at the moment probably in his best interest to stay away unless he really kicks on next few years. Even the slower more creative wide CAMs look to be struggling a bit to get big moves.

Unthinkable a few years ago that no bids for Eriken in last year of contract, no strong push to get Ziyech out of Ajax with his low clause & best Fekir can do is lower -midtable La Liga.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Seems like many on here are willing to bin the season in the hopes that he comes good. There is nothing wrong with not being ready at his age.

FluffyDoozi

Emery might be a cowardly bum but he has given kids game time. Even at the starstudded PSG, Kimpempe and Lo Celso were given opportunities.
It's up to these kids to take them because professional football is cut throat at the highest level.

Saka, Martinelli, Willock, ESR and Guendouzi have taken their chances so let's stop making excuses for Nelson.

Even if the tactics are dire, he can still look half decent individually but Nelson doesn't do any of the basics right. He's been pretty poor for a year both at Hoffenheim and here.

We sold Iwobi and Mhki to give him a pathway to the first team. Other talented kids like Vela, Adelaide, Malen didn't get that opportunity and level of trust.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I’m gonna keep saying this till it gets in people’s heads. He is the smallest and physically the weakest compared to the rest of the Hale End group. He can’t hold up the ball like Saka, he hasn’t got the strength like Willock and he hasn’t got the explosiveness or height that ESR has. He needs to go on a weight program, he needs to do whatever Aguero did. Look at how Gnabry struggled in the PL as a young boy, now he’s ripping Sp**s to shreds on a Tuesday evening

zilfy

I think this should be re-posted in every thread!
Not to diminish a players individual responsibility to perform but if a seed or sapling does not receive the water or sunshine it needs to grow, it won't

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
Seems like many on here are willing to bin the season in the hopes that he comes good. There is nothing wrong with not being ready at his age.
How are we binning the season by giving him some minutes as a sub ffs, it's not like we have an elite winger on the bench waiting to be subbed in.

Some incredible overreactions on this thread, will be fun to look back at when/if he makes it.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
How are we binning the season by giving him some minutes as a sub ffs, it's not like we have an elite winger on the bench waiting to be subbed in.

Some incredible overreactions on this thread, will be fun to look back at when/if he makes it.
I was referring to giving him more time than simply minutes off the bench..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom