• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
He's not going anywhere, he's just moving to a bigger house.

Exactly with that pay rise (and the attempted robbery), but I really hope he just goes.

If David Silva can put in the graft, why can't Özil? The man's arsenal career has been a 6.5/10 considering the money we spent on him, his expected 'world class' talent and his huge pay package.

Tbh Özil's stay at Arsenal has been dissappointing overall. He's such an amazing talent and in a lesser league like Turkey he will shine.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I can't get over the idea that Emery's insecurities lie at the bottom of his attitude towards Özil - the players who 'deserve' to play are in his book the ones who praise him and show him loads of respect, and this is I suspect Özil has failed to do

I hope I'm wrong
I'd say you probably are wrong, because it's not only Emery who's given up on him on the staff. I don't know why people think Emery would be allowed to freeze out a player of his calibre and salary for no good reason.

Reactions: Jae

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Mixed messages emerge. We’re back to an undeterminable “less deserving “ divorced from any measure of work or ability.

Interesting. I think it's combination of many things. Mertesacker was the one who said he isn't fit enough, not sure how long ago that was.

Deserving can just mean other players are better in training. In addition that they are better tactically against certain opponents.

Like I have said, I much rather see Willock get game time than Özil if they are quite equal otherwise. And what I have seen from Willock and Özil this season hints at exactly that.

(I'm comparing to Willock because I think he is the one who is closest to the AMF spot. Guendouzi is a guaranteed starter with his performances this season. Ceballos is a loan player still so gets chosen after Willock for me while being quite equal otherwise in output.)

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
it's all got very boring now, and I hope he goes, though I'd like him to have a couple of games and play really well to leave both sides feeling happier

I shall miss him because as a muslim from an immigrant family I think he had a very positive influence on fans in far flung places, and brought us a lot of support which would have gone to a rival before he came

I just hope we hang on to Auba past this summer, so we still have a proper fans favourite

Iceman10

Established Member
it's all got very boring now, and I hope he goes, though I'd like him to have a couple of games and play really well to leave both sides feeling happier

I shall miss him because as a muslim from an immigrant family I think he had a very positive influence on fans in far flung places, and brought us a lot of support which would have gone to a rival before he came

I just hope we hang on to Auba past this summer, so we still have a proper fans favourite

Can see in your comments that it is hard to be a romantic when it comes to football and supporting Arsenal nowadays because right now we're scratching and clawing to get back up from a fallen status, and there isn't much slack in getting that done. A lot of residual (romanticism) of course comes from the peak Wenger years.

I watch a lot of classic Bergkamp videos, and especially in his last 2-3 years at Arsenal there was pure joy and smiles on the pitch (sentimentalism, romanticism), in part because many weeks we were thrashing clubs other than United with 3-0 scorelines and more. It's not that easy for us right now, there are virtually no easy matches, but when you are a club that has many matches already won before kick-off, as we had back then, there is room for some 'slack' - slack in being loose on the pitch because things came so easy with enjoyment, maybe a selection here or there, or something else.

I hope you can see what I am saying here, regarding "romanticism" and "slack" when it comes to your hopes of seeing off Özil in a nice way. We will get back up there, but right now it is a slog, and in some cases emotion and romanticism have to be set aside in taking hard, but necessary, actions.

Last edited:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Players earning the lifetime salary of an average person in one month, highly polished social media machines, deals sponsorships and side-projects away from the club ..... actually surprised more people don’t follow individual superstar footballers above the teams TBH.

Glad there seems to be an increasing number of posters here that view “The Emery issue” and “The Özil issue” as separate entities, albeit with a slight overlap of-course.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Unfortunately, that's not at all how it works. Not at ALL.
@Tosker is a teacher IIRC. They don't get paid anyway :p

beautiful post. I have so many relatives tune in to Arsenal matches and start supporting Arsenal because of Özil.

It is a commercial blunder to alienate Özil. If they slowly phased him out of the team, it would be much better. Or as you said, if he is brought back into the team to have a bit of a swan song....

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Come on!
Haven't you been reading this thread for the past 10 pages?
of course losing is bad!
images

But maybe, if it means that Emery takes his head out of his arse.... It's not so bad.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
The state of AM, when Willock is compared to and regarded as better than Özil

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Interesting. I think it's combination of many things. Mertesacker was the one who said he isn't fit enough, not sure how long ago that was.

Deserving can just mean other players are better in training. In addition that they are better tactically against certain opponents.

Like I have said, I much rather see Willock get game time than Özil if they are quite equal otherwise. And what I have seen from Willock and Özil this season hints at exactly that.

(I'm comparing to Willock because I think he is the one who is closest to the AMF spot. Guendouzi is a guaranteed starter with his performances this season. Ceballos is a loan player still so gets chosen after Willock for me while being quite equal otherwise in output.)
Willock is nothing like an AM, even less a no 10, ffs.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Willock is nothing like an AM, even less a no 10, ffs.
Exactly... Willock is a pure number 8 box to box player. He makes runs from behind using his long legs... if he continues his development he will be closer to Viera or Yaya esque than number 10 or AM position.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Exactly... Willock is a pure number 8 box to box player. He makes runs from behind using his long legs... if he continues his development he will be closer to Viera or Yaya esque than number 10 or AM position.

That's the modern day number 10....... the classic playmaking number 10 is an outdated tactic that is no longer viable in the age of gegenpressing. Willock is far from a finished product but he is very young and can be molded into being the Ramsey replacement we need. Özil is no longer young and we can't mold him at all. So while Willock obviously isn't on Özil's level in terms of value on the pitch it makes sense to invest playing time in Willock rather than Özil, cause Willock can easily make the Guendouzi level improvements to eventually surpass Özil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom