• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman10

Established Member
Özil wasn't conductor for that WC winning team but he more than deserved his place in the team and played an important role. Regardless, that's all back in 2014. This is a player who was world class and exceptional, but that's not the point when it comes to the situation presently.

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
Very bad management from Emery. If you don't want him anymore you sell him immediately. instead if you want to give him another chance you play him.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Look at that midfield ffs, all footballers.

Those days are gone, all hard work now.

Would have won the league had Ramsey and Walcott didn't get injured, I know we won that game with Walcott for example, but post Christmas we were very predictable. The pace of Walcott and the movement of Ramsey gave us something else alongside the technical qualities of Özil and Cazorla and the physicality of Giroud.

The Wilshere-Arteta partnership was pretty poor, which is kinda funny given how people would often say that Ramsey never helped Arteta at all while Wilshere apparently was better defensively than Ramsey. Ox had his own injury issues so was never a viable alternative to either Walcott as a winger or Ramsey as a midfielder.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Tbh honest he was more integral to the 2010 WC team and I think that was his best tournament performance, really brilliant, but he was still class in 2014 and saying Germany won despite his is a massive stretch. If anything Germany won despite Löw.
I would agree on the last point you make regarding Löw who I think has been quite poor given the talent he had in the Lahm, Schweinsteiger generation.

I would maintain though that Özil was quite a bit of a passenger in 2014. 2010 was Özil's best WC by a stretch in my view. In 2014 the real backbone was Lahm, Mueller, Schweinsteiger, Neuer. Schweinsteiger was epic in the 2014 WC final. Along the 1982 WC semi-final against France my top German WC memories although the 1982 semi-final ranks top. A game for the ages. It had everything. When Uli Stielike missed his penalty and Toni Schumacher had to lift him of the ground.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He was top scorer during the qualifying. Basically dragged them into the world cup
That squad didn't need to be dragged anywhere. They qualified at a canter with +26 goal difference. Only drew one game, the freak 4-4 against Sweden where they were up 4-0 at half time. The player that should have been at the WC and would have been a real star was Marco Reus. He was on fire that year but had that unfortunate injury just before the WC.

In my view Özil at the WC underperformed and he was nowhere near a Leistungsträger of the team.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
If it wasn‘t for Özil and Neuer, Germany wouldn‘t have won the World Cup. Some interesting revisionism going on here.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
SEI_66586056.jpg

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Wow, Özil going all in today.

A brutal interview in Athletic from Ornstein

albakos

Administrator

What Özil does care about is the impression that he both struggles against superior opposition and too often blames poor health for his absences.

“It always happens that an ex-player stands there on TV and criticises me,” he says. “Others just continue the theme and it gets in everyone’s heads.

“If we don’t do well in a ‘big’ game, it’s always my fault. If that’s true, how do you explain our results in the ‘big’ games when I wasn’t involved? There’s no real difference. I know people expect me to offer more, dictate play and make the difference — I do, too — but it’s not that straightforward.

“I’m not the only player in the team and, don’t forget, some of our opponents are simply better than us. Also, what is a ‘big’ or ‘small’ game? In the Premier League, anyone can beat anyone. Look at Wolves and Norwich beating Man City, or Newcastle and West Ham beating Man United.

“So you can’t say my good performances only came in ‘small’ games because these games don’t really exist. The intensity is there in every match and often the ‘small’ teams raise their standard against the ‘big’ teams.

“I also get really frustrated when I miss a game through illness and people question if it is genuine. Yes, it happened a few times — usually in the winter — but what am I supposed to do? If you knew me, you would know it takes a lot for me to miss a game and I have never used sickness as an excuse. Actually the opposite. I played many games when I was ill or had injuries. Before the Champions League game against Bayern Munich [in March 2017], I was sick and Arsène told me I was not in the squad because of that. The next morning, the guys from Arsenal called me and said, ‘Listen, you have to come to the stadium, you have to be in the squad’. Despite my illness, I joined the squad and played the last 20 minutes.

“Most players don’t play when injured or sick — it influences your game, you can’t give everything — but I was always available unless it was impossible.”

Özil is similarly robust in defending the demeanour — head bowed, shoulders slumped, arms flailing — he regularly exudes if something is not to his liking.

“It’s my personality,” he counters. “People want to change me but, since the day I started playing football, I was always like this. If a game is not going well or I play a bad ball, of course I get frustrated because I know it can be better. It’s the same when I come off the pitch looking angry. I’m a perfectionist and sometimes I want too much perfection.

“It doesn’t take me long to get over — I’m not going around the pitch or sat on the bench pissed off for the next five minutes or anything. It’s just in that moment and then we continue. I realise afterwards it’s not good to show this, but it’s instinctive, so I don’t plan it and it’s not easy to change.

“This is me. I’m the same person at Arsenal as I was at Schalke, Werder Bremen, Real Madrid and the German national team. People may want me to change but I’ve been successful everywhere and I never will.”

More here

albakos

Administrator

But when asked if he is heading for the exit, Özil replies firmly: “No. I have a contract until the summer of 2021 and I will be staying until then.

“When I signed the new deal, I thought about it very carefully and said it was one of the most important decisions of my footballing career. I didn’t want to stay for just one or two more years, I wanted to commit my future to Arsenal and the club wanted me to do the same.

“You can go through difficult times, like this, but that is no reason to run away and I’m not going to. I’m here until at least 2021. :)

“I said that Arsène Wenger was a big factor in me joining Arsenal — and he was — but ultimately I signed for the club. Even when Arsène announced he was leaving, I wanted to stay because I love playing for Arsenal and that’s why I’ve been here for six years.

“When I moved from Real Madrid, it was a really tough time for Arsenal. But I always believed in what we could do and together we delivered. More recently things have been difficult and a lot has changed. But I’m proud to be an Arsenal player, a fan and I’m happy here. Whenever people see me in the street I always say, ‘This is my home’. I’m going nowhere.”

More here

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Wow, Özil going all in today.

A brutal interview in Athletic from Ornstein

Not sure why you used the word “brutal”. He has certainly tried to comprehensively address every issue floating around him.

The one thing that stands out for me is he still seems to be smarting from Keown and the other ex-pro comments. Let’s summarise what Keown said and dial down his caveman like rhetoric:

Özil is a gifted player who performs so far below his god-given abilities on such a regular basis it’s like he is cheating the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom