• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Not sure why you used the word “brutal”. He has certainly tried to comprehensively address every issue floating around him.

The one thing that stands out for me is he still seems to be smarting from Keown and the other ex-pro comments. Let’s summarise what Keown said and dial down his caveman like rhetoric:

Özil is a gifted player who performs so far below his god-given abilities on such a regular basis it’s like he is cheating the club.

“If we don’t do well in a ‘big’ game, it’s always my fault. If that’s true, how do you explain our results in the ‘big’ games when I wasn’t involved? There’s no real difference. I know people expect me to offer more, dictate play and make the difference — I do, too — but it’s not that straightforward.

“I’m not the only player in the team and, don’t forget, some of our opponents are simply better than us. Also, what is a ‘big’ or ‘small’ game? In the Premier League, anyone can beat anyone. Look at Wolves and Norwich beating Man City, or Newcastle and West Ham beating Man United.

The article is much longer than the two pieces, where he also talks about otehr issues.
A summary:
  • His intention to stay at Arsenal until “at least” the summer of 2021
  • Why he believes condemnation of his performances is “ridiculous”
  • The moped attack that left his wife feeling “scared” in their own home
  • How “racist abuse” forced him to quit the Germany national team
  • A feeling of “respect” that led to his association with Turkey’s president

Iceman10

Established Member

This is classy, and worthy of respect when it comes to being open to whatever Emery wants from him (rather than lashing out). Have said the door is not closed on him if he does what the manager wants from him, and that is not just about training but probably also being part of coordinated pressing that I believe the manager wants more from the first team (work in progress). Sceptical, but will see where it goes.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That squad didn't need to be dragged anywhere. They qualified at a canter with +26 goal difference. Only drew one game, the freak 4-4 against Sweden where they were up 4-0 at half time. The player that should have been at the WC and would have been a real star was Marco Reus. He was on fire that year but had that unfortunate injury just before the WC.

In my view Özil at the WC underperformed and he was nowhere near a Leistungsträger of the team.
Agreed. He was not the star, but he was definitely not a passenger. If there was anyone better than him, Low would have dropped Özil.

He was best (again) for Germany in Key Passes, and only second to Muller in Dribbles per game.

Simple Fact: He has been Germany's best AM until he retired. They could not replace him when he was playing, and they have no replacement after he retired.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
“It always happens that an ex-player stands there on TV and criticises me,” Özil told The Athletic.

“Others just continue the theme and it gets in everyone’s heads.”

Ok so, he is insinuating that ex-pros are perpetuating and reinforcing the negative press around him and other people are then running with that.

What’s really happening here - is it a shadowy organisation of ex-pros controlled by the DFB determined to topple Ozils reign?

OR is it a bunch of ex footballers, all linked by their common love of our club, constantly frustrated by the performances of one of the most gifted players to wear the Arsenal shirt in a generation?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
constantly frustrated by the performances of one of the most gifted players to wear the Arsenal shirt in a generation?
But seeing as how he has hardly played this season at all how can this be the case?
I'm all up for hating on Özil when he doesn't play well but he hasn't even been given a chance and the little he has played this season he has been good. Not brilliant, but not dogsh!te either... Meanwhile Granit Xhaka costs us points every second game..
None of this makes sense. I think there is a big chunk of this we are not getting.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

So interesting to say he trains as hard as anyone . Either he isnt self aware or there are games afoot .

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
I think its wierd that he find it a good thing that he haven't changed since werder bremen.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I'm down for watching Özil playing some monday night footie, i must say. Don't think Emery/The Upper Chain of Command is though

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Very bad management from Emery. If you don't want him anymore you sell him immediately. instead if you want to give him another chance you play him.

Why not attack Emery when given any excuse. :D Why use brains at all, they might get broken?

It is not Emery who ultimately decides who comes in or goes, he is only the head coach.

Any sane club doesn't want to pay most for good player to play for another team. When the player is in good relationship with the coach and makes no fuss in the team, tries to improve.

And simply you cannot sell a player who doesn't want to go. Read Özil's comments, he will stay at least until 2021. Has nothing to do with Emery. Implying he might even want to renew if all goes better in the future.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

That story about the 2017 Champions League is embarrassing for a top club. Wenger tells him “you’re sick, you won’t play.”

Then someone else from the club tells him he has to be in the squad so he comes back and even plays the last 20 minutes.

Shambles.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Very good that he came out to the media now, that's classy and nice thing to alleviate the speculations.

"Respects Emery, rejects critics"

What are the quotes for this? Didn't see them posted here?

Would be great to read the whole thing, but I won't register and pay for it.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
That story about the 2017 Champions League is embarrassing for a top club. Wenger tells him “you’re sick, you won’t play.”

Then someone else from the club tells him he has to be in the squad so he comes back and even plays the last 20 minutes.

Shambles.
Wonder who that was. Bould?

Hexagon9

“When I moved from Real Madrid, it was a really tough time for Arsenal. But I always believed in what we could do and together we delivered.”

I don’t really understand this bit, or is he simply talking about ending the trophy drought that season?

GDeep™

League is very weak
“When I moved from Real Madrid, it was a really tough time for Arsenal. But I always believed in what we could do and together we delivered.”

I don’t really understand this bit, or is he simply talking about ending the trophy drought that season?

CL football, trophy etc. That was, and still is, just about the peak of our expectations.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

“I want to be part of the side, I want to support my team-mates to succeed. I’m not training all the time just for the sake of it, I’m ready to play. This should not be about me or the coach, only the club. I have to give everything, be fit and focused, and I’m training hard to be ready."
I’m doing extra work with the fitness coach and in the gym to get even fitter than normal. I know what is needed and believe in myself.”

Interesting .......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom