• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kav

Established Member
It is a classic
Looks like some PR push tbh.
it is the classic “promoting on of our own” tropes that teams and businesses like to showcase for Positive public relations.

Doesn’t mean he’s being lined up to be fair. However I would take a chance on him if only until the end of the season as right now I have little faith that the current manager will improve our fortunes.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I thought it had cuckold connotations tbh—something completely different. I’ll gladly delete it... oh, but only if somebody’s offended, mind.

Talk about fake outrage :lol: you don’t care about homophobia just took it personally, shows your lack of integrity.

Allegri is another defensive and pragmatic coach. We would probably have better defence, but overall football would be as dull as now. Özil would continue to ride the bench. Same people would again shout fan boys and similar phrases after some time:lol:

I don’t mind a defensive and pragmatic coach, actually I’d welcome it I’d love to see us win games 1-0 and shut out the team. But Emery’s team isn’t good at defending or attacking we just concede lots of shots and can’t control games.

Last edited:

Moah

All this talk of Emery wanting his players to work hard, where have we seen the effect of it? because we aren't defending any better and we are getting worse in attack.

If by working hard we mean probing every opposition player all game without any significant effect, then there is no use of it.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Anyway, I have come around to backing Emery into next year as long as he gets top 4.

No point chopping and changing if the man gets you CL, despite it being a weak race. Not like there are clear top managers available anyway, especially with Allegri linked with Utd.

Bought another train ticket I see.

Steps

All this talk of Emery wanting his players to work hard, where have we seen the effect of it? because we aren't defending any better and we are getting worse in attack.

I mean, we look slow and sluggish in games, so maybe it's working. Players are busting their ass in training and have no energy for the matches :D

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think you need to chill and sit your PC ass down and get off whatever you are inhaling.

Calling someone a bum has never been a homophobic term. I suggest you know the definition of a word before you go around chastising others for your own insecurities.

People like you that make having a general conversation so distasteful.
This post would almost be worth a **** if all somebody had done was call someone a ‘bum’.

Now kindly apologise for your spectacular example of foolishness and run along.

Last edited:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I think you need to chill and sit your PC ass down and get off whatever you are inhaling.

Calling someone a bum has never been a homophobic term. I suggest you know the definition of a word before you go around chastising others for your own insecurities.

People like you that make having a general conversation so distasteful.

It was about "fan boys", not calling Emery a bum. Means totally different thing in different context.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bum+boy

Anyway, heterosexual can be a "fan boy" too in both ways. Women have bums too. Not everyone's missus allows it though.

Iceman10

Established Member
It's a bit silly really for mods to have sent out notices that they were going to clamp down on "bigotry", as was the case several weeks back, and then not really adhere to that. I understand the issue of mods stretched thin, but the problem is one of sending out that notice and then not doing what the notice said they would do. This is a root cause of some of the issues over the last few pages, imo, i.e. mixed messages.

GoonerJay24

The negativity towards Emery in this thread is pathetic.

I've no idea why some so called supporters want Arsenal to become some loser club like Chelsea or worse Man Utd through sacking the coach every year.

Unless the teams in absolute appalling form way below expectations we as fans need to remember the values of the club and support Emery.

Divided_Pie

Ornstein going heavy on Ljunberg in recent days. Another article in the Athletic today.

My favorite quote in this article:

“How useful that steely determination is in coaching is hard to quantify,” says Dixon. “When you are a player and you are driven, you are dealing with yourself. But when you are a coach dealing with 20 players in a squad, you have to be adaptable. They won’t all have the same characteristics as you. When you think of someone like Roy Keane, who was so strong-willed, as a coach, when players didn’t come up to his own expectations it could impact on decisions. The really strong-willed coaches have to be flexible with modern players.

This is not Unai. He wants players made in his own image. He doesn't have a respect for and understanding of players' stengths that he doesn't personally relate to. Most WC players have a uniqueness that sets them apart from others. Emery doesn't appreciate those kinds of qualities and he doesn't nurture them. He wants a squad of drones that he can understand and control, players that will execute within his rigid framework. There's no room for creativity, instinct, independence, or expression.

Kav

Established Member
This post would almost be worth a **** if all somebody had done was call someone a ‘bum’.

Now kindly apologise for your spectacular example of foolishness and run along.
Unfortunately for you the level of intelligence that you have displayed has not warranted such a response on my behalf. Notwithstanding I do suggest that you take your sensitive self to the back of the room as the rest of the adults have a meaningful conversation without suffering from the diatribe of your opinions.

Kav

Established Member

“How useful that steely determination is in coaching is hard to quantify,” says Dixon. “When you are a player and you are driven, you are dealing with yourself. But when you are a coach dealing with 20 players in a squad, you have to be adaptable. They won’t all have the same characteristics as you. When you think of someone like Roy Keane, who was so strong-willed, as a coach, when players didn’t come up to his own expectations it could impact on decisions. The really strong-willed coaches have to be flexible with modern players.

This is not Unai. He wants players made in his own image. He doesn't have a respect for and understanding of players' stengths that he doesn't personally relate to. Most WC players have a uniqueness that sets them apart from others. Emery doesn't appreciate those kinds of qualities and he doesn't nurture them. He wants a squad of drones that he can understand and control, players that will execute within his rigid framework. There's no room for creativity, instinct, independence, or expression.
Herein lies the crux of the matter. Emery was a fourth rate player. Never accomplished much and had to work hard to get himself a coaching job. His whole mantra has been about work work work. So it isn’t unlikely that he values runners and grafters more that artistry or flair. In fact he’s had problems with players who have a better understanding of the game than he does. Neymar & Cavani comes to mind.

He would do well to learn to value both sides of the game.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
While Freddie has no right to go from managing kids to being a successful Arsenal manager, the prospect is still quite exciting in a naive, I-never-learn, muggy football fan way. Without that blind hope, you’d probably not be a fan.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Unfortunately for you the level of intelligence that you have displayed has not warranted such a response on my behalf. Notwithstanding I do suggest that you take your sensitive self to the back of the room as the rest of the adults have a meaningful conversation without suffering from the diatribe of your opinions.
So you’re just going to completely ignore the fact that you got something totally wrong due to your inability to follow a few posts correctly, and just carry on with the barrage of rubbish because you’re too proud to admit you ****ed up?

‘fan boys’ .... look it up. Nothing to do with being sensitive and everything to do with being adult, ironically.

Jae

Herein lies the crux of the matter. Emery was a fourth rate player. Never accomplished much and had to work hard to get himself a coaching job. His whole mantra has been about work work work. So it isn’t unlikely that he values runners and grafters more that artistry or flair. In fact he’s had problems with players who have a better understanding of the game than he does. Neymar & Cavani comes to mind.

He would do well to learn to value both sides of the game.

I'm not sticking up for Emery but I just came here to say this entire post is 100% bullsh*t mate. So you can't be a great coach without having been a great player then?

The only current managers who have been WC in their day and are *currently* managing top teams off the top of my head are Guardiola, Ancelotti, Simeone, Lampard and Zidane.

How's Zidane getting on at Madrid for all his footballing prowess and spending power?

I'd wager 90% of managers of the top teams had poor to average careers or careers that were cut short by injury. Wenger by his own admission was a mediocre player, Klopp has admitted the same. Then theres coaches like Benitez, Pochettino, Eddie Howe (injury), Mourinho, I could go on...

There are managers that people would love here like Leonardo Jardim who has never played a game of professional football in his life, same goes for Brendan Rodgers. Sarri was a bank manager, Sacchi was a shoe salesman and AVB was never a footballer either.

zilfy

The negativity towards Emery in this thread is pathetic.

I've no idea why some so called supporters want Arsenal to become some loser club like Chelsea or worse Man Utd through sacking the coach every year.

Unless the teams in absolute appalling form way below expectations we as fans need to remember the values of the club and support Emery.
How would sacking an under-performing coach count as "sacking the coach every year?"

We've had two coaches in 20+ years.

Emery's Arsenal is a bit rubbish, but who's not to say the next coach won't turn it around?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
How would sacking an under-performing coach count as "sacking the coach every year?"

We've had two coaches in 20+ years.

Emery's Arsenal is a bit rubbish, but who's not to say the next coach won't turn it around?
While this is true, who is available that could turn us around?
I'm with @GDeep™ on this. While I'd love to be able to say "Emery can F.O. for go" we do not want to be changing for the sake of it. If Emery get CL and nobody is available, keep him until something opens.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Anyone who disagrees with you must love Emery or is part of Emery's defence league. This is your framing, and it is rather intellectually lazy.

Alternative theory: Maybe these people who disagree with you are just fans of Arsenal and are being pragmatic in calculating what is best for Arsenal. They are not major fans of Emery but they see him worst case as a caretaker/steward, and there is nothing massively wrong with that if we get back into CL football asap. As explained previously a toxic atmosphere at this point is only counterproductive. I don't care so much about Emery as I do the transfer budget for next summer to get this squad closer to Liverpool and City. The budget obviously will be boosted by CL qualification.
Tbf

You have to realise some players doesn't fit into a managers system. He seem to be handling our only WC player in Auba very well imo so don't see your issue.

Except for Özil who seem to be unmotivated according to mertesacker the squad seems to be handled well. Much better players than a declining Özil has been shifted by manager when they don't fit the managers description.

If Klopp came here and said Özil doesn't do the work no one would complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom