• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Him not even been in squads must mean there is something else going on?

Hidden injury or mental illness?

Elwood

he was a better dribbler, a better goal scorer, his work rate was better and he was also stronger both physically and mentally.
That's the only difference IMO. Also, I don't want to judge him too harshly when as a team we played underwhelmingly and a bunch of players were underperforming left and right during his time here.

He's definitely not been good enough, I expected much more of him, but also of the team around him as a whole. The whole club really, top to bottom.

However, his performances did not warrant this kind of a situation with him IMO, as none of the alternatives, bar Ramsey, performed better, or even at the same level. There have always been positions where we had worse performing players than him this whole time (not considering expectations and his wage, because that doesn't change match day performances of the team).

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
After all, we have had the privilege of watching Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Vieira play for this great club. Özil isn’t fit to stand in the same room as far as his performances for Arsenal are concerned.

Ok, but that goes for just about everyone on our team. Özil is one of the few players we could even discuss this about in our current squad. He’s maybe no the quality we should be striving for based on the invincibles a marker, but we have come so far away from that.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Think Raul and Edu’s biggest mistake was telling Unai to freeze Özil out the team because they need to reset the wage bill and his political views reflect badly on some. It’s cost us points and wasn’t too necessary. Let’s at least get him back playing.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Think Raul and Edu’s biggest mistake was telling Unai to freeze Özil out the team because they need to reset the wage bill and his political views reflect badly on some. It’s cost us points and wasn’t too necessary. Let’s at least get him back playing.

Do you think they’ve really ordered him to do that? It makes sense on one level but if he’s the key to us finishing top 4 or not he’s worth more to us having him in the team than the £17m we’d save by not including him.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Do you think they’ve really ordered him to do that? It makes sense on one level but if he’s the key to us finishing top 4 or not he’s worth more to us having him in the team than the £17m we’d save by not including him.

I think so because I also don’t think he’s the key to a top 4 finish, and the board may see that. They probably see our squad good enough to finish top 4 without him and instructed Emery to keep him out in hope he’d move on. If it was all Emery he’d of probably been sacked by now. There’s definitely a bit of both here.

DasBootist

Özil is key for the team Re chance creation. We have looked poverty this season without him, and he's being paid his King's ransom regardless, so it makes sense to play him ffs

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member

It's really hard to say either way. Further hints it could be Emery is his history with Di Maria and Draxler. But making assumptions based on either postulate is a waste of time. People will use whichever argument suits their agenda.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
The reason Özil is dropped is because he picks and chooses when he plays, like how do we have a player that doesn’t do away games up North?

Either play all the games you’re available for or don’t play at all. Özil takes too many liberties.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

I see he has incorporated 'work' and 'training' in his hashtags - mocking Emery or showing he's a changed man?

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
on the other hand, he did have his 'you must be joking' face on in training

or is that simply blank incomprehension?

Highbury

That's the only difference IMO. Also, I don't want to judge him too harshly when as a team we played underwhelmingly and a bunch of players were underperforming left and right during his time here.

He's definitely not been good enough, I expected much more of him, but also of the team around him as a whole. The whole club really, top to bottom.

However, his performances did not warrant this kind of a situation with him IMO, as none of the alternatives, bar Ramsey, performed better, or even at the same level. There have always been positions where we had worse performing players than him this whole time (not considering expectations and his wage, because that doesn't change match day performances of the team).

Not only Ramsey, but Sanchez and Cazorla also performed at a higher level than Özil during their time at the club. Cazorla was actually better than Özil in the AM role, but he took his game to the next level as a CM. A shame he got injured, he was almost as good as David Silva when he got injured.

Highbury

Ok, but that goes for just about everyone on our team. Özil is one of the few players we could even discuss this about in our current squad. He’s maybe no the quality we should be striving for based on the invincibles a marker, but we have come so far away from that.

I agree, but none of the other players are put on a pedestal by their fans like Özil. Because of the perception based on his past reputation that he is a world class elite player, every little thing that he does gets glorified and magnified, even though during his time at the club he has simply not proved himself to be a world class player.

He has not been consistent and has probably failed to impact 90% of matches against the top sides, and probably 99% away from home.

Right now, he is not good enough to play for City, Liverpool, Barcelona, Paris, Juventus etc. That sums up his present stature. He might get into the Madrid side but only because they are in shambles at the moment. But even they are interested in signing Eriksen rather than resigning him, and it is not just about his high wages - even when he couldn’t agree on a new contract and stalled alongside Sanchez, none of the top teams actively chased him.

The fact that the only club who has been remotely interested in him is Fenerbahce, which says everything that needs to be said.

Signing Özil did nothing for the club to be honest. Yes we got some nice moments and lovely assists but his overall impact has been negligible. Every season someone else has been blamed for his weaknesses and shortcomings and it is getting tiresome now.

In hindsight, he was simply not the right fit for a club that was in decline. He is not the type of player who can make a difference in a weak side, but yes he can add gloss to a top team.

After botching the Suarez transfer with sheer arrogance, a player who would have had a gigantic impact on the fortunes and status of the club, Wenger was desperate to land a big name player. With Bale moving to Madrid, he would have taken any of the players they deemed surplus to requirements (Di Maria, Özil, Benzema). It just so happened that Özil was the one to end up in his lap.

I personally find it hard to put all the blame on Emery because I feel that the Raul and Edu etc have something to do with this. I mean no manager can be dumb enough to play Torreira ahead of Özil in an attacking midfield role.

However, but if freezing him out means that we can get rid of a player who is largely an expensive liability, I think we can accept it. let’s not kid ourselves that our position in the league would have been any different had Özil played every game.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Özil will make a great manager. I look forward to the day he takes over as a manager and beats Emery by 7 goals who'll probably be managing Fulham at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom