• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Leicester vs Arsenal | KO:17:30 | Saturday 9th November | Sky Sports

Which of these will happen first?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
@Hleb's Sirush where have you gone man, answer my question.

If the manager is more important than the squad as you've argued well, how did Emery win the league with PSG?

Just asking?

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
If the manager is more important than the squad. How did Emery win the league with PSG?

Don't back pedal.

If we look at Emery's career as a whole, he has been a competent, good manager. His record at Valencia and Sevilla were both fairly impressive.

He won the league with PSG because he was/is a decent manager. He also had a great squad.

I think at the moment he is performing badly with us because the players have turned against him.

If the manager isn't more important than the squad how can you explain the numerous times when a team with clearly inferior squad regularly winning league titles? Ferguson on many occasions would win the league whilst not having the best squad. Klopp won titles in Germany whilst having inferior squad than Bayern

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

If we look at Emery's career as a whole, he has been a competent, good manager. His record at Valencia and Sevilla were both fairly impressive.

He won the league with PSG because he was/is a decent manager. He also had a great squad.

I think at the moment he is performing badly with us because the players have turned against him.

If the manager is more important than the squad how can you explain the numerous times when a team with clearly inferior squad regularly winning league titles? Ferguson on many occasions would win the league whilst not having the best squad. Klopp won titles in Germany whilst having inferior squad than Bayern
That's fair enough. I think he's struggling because he doesn't have any stand out players.

Midfield for example he's got 2 young inexperienced players, 2 players with more experience with probably less talent, and a loanee struggling to get up to speed. He clearly can't find a combination he wants to stick with as his best, or even a system for them.

He watches them get over run in nearly every game and he keeps trying ideas, but clearly can't fix it.

Last edited:

kenshinSG

I disagree that our players are at fault. Unai has tinker too much with systems and players and thus it caused the whole team to malfunction.
A competent manager would setup his team within limitations. Our midfield may not be strong, but with the right setup and right players, we should at least not have the defence concede 30 shots. We may not be a fortress but at least be more dominant against the weaker teams and gain more points. With our squad, we can achieve more than 70 points and achieve minimum of 4th.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I disagree that our players are at fault. Unai has tinker too much with systems and players and thus it caused the whole team to malfunction.
A competent manager would setup his team within limitations. Our midfield may not be strong, but with the right setup and right players, we should at least not have the defence concede 30 shots. We may not be a fortress but at least be more dominant against the weaker teams and gain more points. With our squad, we can achieve more than 70 points and achieve minimum of 4th.
Nobody's really suggesting our players are at fault. Emery is struggling to find his best team and a system that works for them.

Another manager might crack that problem. But it's not easy to solve.

You take a poll on AM to name our best 3 midfielders and I bet you get a huge variety of combinations.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Yet you have nothing to back it up.. Football has changed and thus our attack is not sufficient enough like it was in 2008.

What has changed? If anything attack has become even more important.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464218

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/do-good-defences-still-win-titles-sorry-fergie-not-anymore

These links again highlight that the attack is more important than the defence, even for Title winning teams. Though you also usually need a decent defence for that. I'm not even talking about challenging for the league, just to challenge for top 4. To do that you really don't need a great defence. Just a lethal attack will easily get you there.

Only in 4 of the 13 PL titles did Ferguson have the best defensive record in the league. He even once won the league with the 7th best defence, conceding even more than Blackburn in 13th place.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

That's fair enough. I think he's struggling because he doesn't have any stand out players.

Midfield for example he's got 2 young inexperienced players, 2 players with more experience with probably less talent, and a loanee struggling to get up to speed. He clearly can't find a combination he wants to stick with as his best, or even a system for them.

He watches them get over run in nearly every game and he keeps trying ideas, but clearly can't fix it.

That’s all well and good if he hadn’t frozen out our most creative player for three months despite the midfield looking a dumpster fire the entire time.

He’s made his own bed in many ways.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

That’s all well and good if he hadn’t frozen out our most creative player for three months despite the midfield looking a dumpster fire the entire time.

He’s made his own bed in many ways.
That's very true. Been his biggest critic on that front.

Not many on here would agree though.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

After our transfer business in the summer I was certain we would get top four, but looking back I probably overrated our team a little...I still think we should be doing better than we are, but as you say we have many players who are either too young/too old or have significant flaws.

Last edited:

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Unpopular opinion: Our attacking threat has been severely diminished by failing to replace Mkhitaryan and Iwobi's pressing and ball carrying in the final third.

We are definitely missing Iwobi imo, he has qualities we lack atm and was a terrific link up player too..

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We are definitely missing Iwobi imo, he has qualities we lack atm and was a terrific link up player too..

Would have linked up well with Pepe, is better than any player we could play on the left atm.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
What has changed? If anything attack has become even more important.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464218

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/do-good-defences-still-win-titles-sorry-fergie-not-anymore

These links again highlight that the attack is more important than the defence, even for Title winning teams. Though you also usually need a decent defence for that. I'm not even talking about challenging for the league, just to challenge for top 4. To do that you really don't need a great defence. Just a lethal attack will easily get you there.

Only in 4 of the 13 PL titles did Ferguson have the best defensive record in the league. He even once won the league with the 7th best defence, conceding even more than Blackburn in 13th place.
Literally the first line of the first article..
'Premier League champions have typically been strong at both ends - but ultimately they have been better in attack'
This article warps what Ferguson isn't by that saying entirely. Of course you need attackers to win titles, that goes without say but you will never grind out the difficult results if you are not at the very least capable of keeping shape, discipline and structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom