• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I dont buy the financial reasoning at all but if we cannot afford to sack him then stick him on gardening leave. And let Freddie take over. No major financial shake up.

I am not keen on Freddie at all but as days pass he becomes more favourable as he simply isnt Emery.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I dont buy the financial reasoning at all but if we cannot afford to sack him then stick him on gardening leave. And let Freddie take over. No major financial shake up.

I am not keen on Freddie at all but as days pass he becomes more favourable as he simply isnt Emery.

It's not that we can't afford to sack Emery.
Even though Arsenal is a wealthy club, you can't afford to throw money away.
If you sack emery you have to pay the rest of his contract & staff.
then you have to pay your new manager and his staff.

there's no decent manager who's going to accept a 6 months deal. They want to be safe so any manager will be looking at least for a 2,5 years deal.
It will be hard to fire him if it doesn't work.
also there's also the risk you go for a stop gap manager, and better coaches are available in the summer and you find yourself stuck just because you rushed things.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

It's clear this aimless board refuse to unburden us of Emery, but for how long?

We'll not get our act together fast enough to recover lost ground in the top 4 race. If anything, with the fixtures lined up until Christmas, we might find ourselves in the bottom half of the table.

Best to rid us of Emery now & allow Ljunberg the chance to show what he's capable of.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

I hate Mourinho with a passion and still don't want him here, but Unai's is improving that situation by the minute.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Can’t wait for some condescending bollocks from Bãllbag blaming the fans for being too reactionary and that Unai.

Reactionary haha, I'm one of the most positive when it comes to Arsenal/Emery and I've finally come to terms with the fact that he needs to go.

There isn't a single fan that would be annoyed if he got sacked. Guys lost and so are Arsenal.

ChefMan21

Ljungberg? iPad merchant.

"Before matches, Ljungberg will often take the likes of Saka, Willcok and Reiss Nelson aside and talk them through specific instructions on an iPad..."

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/16/freddie-ljungberg-enhancing-chances-succeeding-unai-emery-10929462/

But seriously, here's some stuff that gives an idea of how he'd coach:

https://talksport.com/football/4975...rsenal-under-23s-boss-compared-pep-guardiola/

https://arseblog.news/2019/05/ljungberg-deserves-credit-as-arsenal-u23s-finish-second/

https://www.arsenal.com/news/ljungberg-was-exactly-how-we-want-play
I'm not terribly against Ljungberg and Arteta taking - and indeed copying - what they can from Pep. My concern though is that there's only one Pep, one Man City squad, and - early days aside - that Liverpool may just have worked out how to beat Pep.

I remember a time when we had two great managers in the league, both with very different styles, with one based in London and the other based in Manchester. They were both copied a lot...

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

It's not that we can't afford to sack Emery.
Even though Arsenal is a wealthy club, you can't afford to throw money away.
If you sack emery you have to pay the rest of his contract & staff.
then you have to pay your new manager and his staff.

there's no decent manager who's going to accept a 6 months deal. They want to be safe so any manager will be looking at least for a 2,5 years deal.
It will be hard to fire him if it doesn't work.
also there's also the risk you go for a stop gap manager, and better coaches are available in the summer and you find yourself stuck just because you rushed things.
There is an even bigger risk that come the end of the season lots of clubs are looking new managers. Peps wife has moved back to Barcelona, Bayern need a new manager, we will need a new manager (hopefully). There is going to be a lot of clubs looking for a new manager. I'd rather we moved first and early to secure Mourinho. Or worst case as I say stick Emery on gardening leave keep his coaches and make Freddie temporary coach

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
There is an even bigger risk that come the end of the season lots of clubs are looking new managers. Peps wife has moved back to Barcelona, Bayern need a new manager, we will need a new manager (hopefully). There is going to be a lot of clubs looking for a new manager. I'd rather we moved first and early to secure Mourinho. Or worst case as I say stick Emery on gardening leave keep his coaches and make Freddie temporary coach

But right now there isn't any single obvious choice. and even though this summer a lot of clubs will be looking for a manager, there will be much more coaches available too and clubs willing to let go theirs.
Mourinho will still be available this summer don't worry. Bayern, Barça, Man Utd, City won't go for him. No chance.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

But right now there isn't any single obvious choice. and even though this summer a lot of clubs will be looking for a manager, there will be much more coaches available too and clubs willing to let go theirs.
Mourinho will still be available this summer don't worry. Bayern, Barça, Man Utd, City won't go for him. No chance.
Tuchel is Bayern Mourinho to PsG?

There are lots of permutations and the longer the clock ticks the less control we have over the situation. I'd much rather change and get someone to salvage the season not get someone in from next season playing catch up with a squad half the foot out the door.

I dont think there is a magical number of not qualifying for the CL and it having an impact but three doesnt sound great.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

Wouldn't that work out being even more expensive than sacking him? You are entitled to your full pay while on gardening leave. Whereas if he is sacked you probably only need to pay off a percentage of his remaining contract.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Tuchel is Bayern Mourinho to PsG?

There are lots of permutations and the longer the clock ticks the less control we have over the situation. I'd much rather change and get someone to salvage the season not get someone in from next season playing catch up with a squad half the foot out the door.

I dont think there is a magical number of not qualifying for the CL and it having an impact but three doesnt sound great.

We don't know.
What we know for sure is that there will be a lot more coaches available during the summer.

It's the same as transfer windows. most of the time, the best players aren't available during the january window. would you rather settle for a worse player and overpay him, even though you might be stuck with him for a few years or would you rather wait till the end of the season to have more choices & pick the right guy?

Kav

Established Member
We should give it to a young coach until the end of the season. About time we promote our own.

I'd prefer Patrick or Fred or Mikel or Dennis.

Unless we can get Bielsa or Howe but those are pipe dreams.

The board has other things in mind.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Think the logical option is to give it Freddie or someone very cheap for a while.

That way we save on contract termination fees and also get to wait for something better in the market.

OneAW!

Worth remembering that Enrique was heavily linked by journalists when Wenger was sacked, but Ornstein says he was never even interviewed:

Enrique is a top tier manager in terms of reputation if not ability. He has already managed Barcelona to the treble. He would only sign on if guaranteed that the club was going to do its utmost to challenge over the short to medium haul. If we were ever going to do that under the current board would've just kept Wenger around. Ultimately I am sure he allowed them oust him because he knew the board were never going all out to compete and his reputation was being needlessly tarnished.

EDIT: For all those suggesting Freddie/Arteta/Howe/the latest flavour of the month, you need to understand one thing Emery isn't a bad manager, competing at this level is just that difficult. All of these managers are liable to do worse. Only a handful of managers are likely to do better. Mourinho is one of them, Enrique another. Wenger is the best of them all. He is better than Guardiola and Klopp and Zidane and any one else you can imagine. The best move is rehire Wenger. With Sp**s and Utd floundering I guuarantee Wenger would get us top 4 this season.

Last edited:

pacstud

I'm resigned to the fact we're stuck with Emery until the season ends.

Depressed really, still a chance to salvage things and we're going to piss it.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Wouldn't that work out being even more expensive than sacking him? You are entitled to your full pay while on gardening leave. Whereas if he is sacked you probably only need to pay off a percentage of his remaining contract.
I dont think so. Eventually the hope is they agree to a reduced pay off as they arent able to take up new work. And worst case it costs the same but we get a new coach without paying an arm and leg for it.

Fallout

Club needs to get over itself and ask Wenger to do a caretaker job for 6 months ala Henry, Lehmann, Sol, etc who also came back to help out in crisis moments.

Assuming he doesnt have other better options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom