• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
We know he was skeptical about Lucas & wanted a more physical DM but then looks to got it wrong with Dani & Denis Suarez. Its hard to see how they complement the midfielders we have or where they fitted in with Xhaka already.

If Mendes can get the boy wonder out of Benfica we will be sorted for years.

I think he thought Ceballos may provide the link between midfield and attack and will allow us more control in a midfield 3. Problem is, we have suffered against mroe physical teams cos now, the midfield is too lightweight and too easy to bypass. This boy wonder you are referring to, is that Florentino Luis? He would be good but I feel we need a bit more experience so Guendouzi/Willocak can keep progressing.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
One thing I admired about past Emery teams was that he always had a SOLID midfield pivot. At Valencia, he had Albelda and Topal/Parejo, Sevilla it was Mbia and Krychowviak. Our midfield look VERY lightweight at the moment. We could do with a bit of physicality and athleticism added in there. I wouldn't be surprised if we went for Danilo Pereira in the January transfer window or if Edu had a few physical holding midfielders in mind from Brazil/South America. The Arsenal midfield has been broken for years and i'm pretty sure he could fix things once the midfield is fixed.
He's used to having bang average mid table midfielder's you mean.

While it's mathematically possible.... why not??
Fans were totally behind the team last season before the late capitulation which led to our 5th finish. This year, everyone was behind the team especially after the summer which most here thought was the best in recent times. Also in the 97/98 year, very few teams could challenge us and most would **** their pants at the prospect of meeting us. In contrast to now, almost every team in the PL has got a player who could walk into our squad. More teams are challenging for the title too. We all know what Leicester did the other day!

The way Unai sets the team up tactically is just not good enough and hasn't been for a very long time. There is a lot of evidence of him failing to guide a top team too. Let's get real, this guy can't hack it here. If there is no top manager available right now, we can give the caretaking role to Ljungberg. After all, Lampard has set the precedent for former players performing well. Hell, even Wally performed fairly well in his early period at United.

All evidence points towards our regress from Wenger's final years. Albeit not severely, we all agree that period was not where a club of Arsenal's stature should be. The players also seem to have given up on the manager. Just look at Auba's and Laca's body language from previous games and you will see it. Considering those two and Özil are our biggest players and don't seem to like Emery very much, it is only a matter of time until it spills to everyone. The initial Wenger out brigade also started on social media and spilt over to the fans on the stadium.
I don't want that toxic atmosphere repeating itself but if the hierarchy doesn't have the balls to get him out now, you can be sure the inevitable is going to happen.

LG10

Emery is the best man we'll get rn for the europa, which is our best chance of cl football. But we all know what happened last year...

teamsoutheast

I find it incredible the amount of disprespect Unai gets in this forum. He did a brilliant job at Valencia. They were hard to beat at the time and he stabilised them big time following their financial crisis. At one point, his squad consisted of Mata, David Silva, David Villa, Soldado (who was prolific at the time), Joaquin even a young Isco at one point. If they weren't forced to sell them, who knows what heights they could have reached. How some of you can just disegard some of his achievements is beyond belief.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He’s basically been given the dreaded vote of confidence. Unlikely to be sacked in the next few weeks but once those fixtures around Christmas time start producing a load of draws/losses he’ll be gone.

teamsoutheast

He's used to having bang average mid table midfielder's you mean.

You do know Mbia and Krychowviak were heavily linked with Arsenal at the time right? They were solid a partnership. We haven't had a decent midfield partnership since maybe Cazorla/Coquelin. Albelda was also linked with us and he was a very good holding midfielder at the time although he was going into his twilight years.

I find it incredible the amount of disprespect Unai gets in this forum. He did a brilliant job at Valencia. They were hard to beat at the time and he stabilised them big time following their financial crisis. At one point, his squad consisted of Mata, David Silva, David Villa, Soldado (who was prolific at the time), Joaquin even a young Isco at one point. If they weren't forced to sell them, who knows what heights they could have reached. How some of you can just disegard some of his achievements is beyond belief.
Just maybe that is the kind of level he should be managing considering he has failed terribly at all the three clubs that he has managed that are expected to challenge for the league in three different countries. Why not give examples of those teams too?

teamsoutheast

Just maybe that is the kind of level he should be managing considering he has failed terribly at all the three clubs that he has managed that are expected to challenge for the league in three different countries. Why not give examples of those teams too?

He won the domestic treble in France at PSG in his second season. Not even Tuchel has managed to do that yet. What other countries 2 countries was he expected to be 'challenging for the league'?

Ash10

You do know Mbia and Krychowviak were heavily linked with Arsenal at the time right? They were solid a partnership. We haven't had a decent midfield partnership since maybe Cazorla/Coquelin. Albelda was also linked with us and he was a very good holding midfielder at the time although he was going into his twilight years.
We got linked with Gourcuff for centuries, doesn't mean he was good. Cazorla/coq were physically crap but Cazorla was so good technically that he could carry basically anyone.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

I'm one of the first to defend Emery with regard to his time at Sevilla, Valancia and PSG. People just want to kick him while he is down by trying to make out he was a useless manager his whole career. There is a reason why we hired him in the first place and that he was highly regarded by people who work in the football industry.

What I will say though is he seems to be out of his depth at our club. Everything he is doing is making things worse. I can't remember him having a sustained period of turmoil at any of those clubs. He might have had some issues at any one point, like the year he didn't win away at Sevilla. But he compensated for that by being very strong at home and winning the EL.

He might have lost to 9 men Madrid while at Valencia but he managed to beat them twice either side of that fixture. What I'm trying to say is, even in his worst moments he was still pulling out some impressive results regularly.

If we for example lost to 9 men City in the FA cup but then beat them 3-0 and 3-2 in the league I'm sure we would all take that. Or similarly get embarrassed 6-1 to Liverpool but in the return leg we beat them 4-0. In thise scenarios there would be something to look forward to. That would still keep the fans on side.

Unfortunately right now we not even getting fed crumbs, game after game we get dominated, we can't defend, we can't attack, we can't do anything to a decent level. You have to go back a long while to see the last game we somewhat look decent. That is hard to accept, it means there is clearly a massive issue with his coaching here.

I still think he is a decent manager, you don't suddenly go from totally schooling Klopp in a European final to not knowing anything about football. I think it is probably the language barrier, a slightly weak midfield skill wise and players never really buying into his constantly changing tactics.

He won the domestic treble in France at PSG in his second season. Not even Tuchel has managed to do that yet. What other countries 2 countries was he expected to be 'challenging for the league'?
Although I am not sure, I believe Dinamo Moscow is expected to in Russia. Arsenal is expected to challenge for the league, is it not

teamsoutheast

He also basically accomplished the impossible in France..... failing to win the ligue 1 with PSG:rofl:

I think you are underestimating how good Monaco were that season. Highest scoring team in Europe at the time and had an incredible midfield in Fabinho and Bakayoko and a strikeforce of Mbappe and Falcao. Why is football so binary to you guys??????????

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I love how agenda merchants accuse others of seeing things black and white when the only shades of grey are within their agenda to make it look like they're being resonable and level headed.

teamsoutheast

Although I am not sure, I believe Dinamo Moscow is expected to in Russia. Arsenal is expected to challenge for the league, is it not
I was wondering if I should respond to this as a simple Google search would show you that he has NEVER managed Dinamo Moscow. Goodness me the level ignorance is astonishing.....

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Anyways, I've come around that the season is already over for us as far as the top 4 goes.

It'll take an Emery's Arsenal sized bottle job from two of our rivals to make it to the top 4 and I doubt Chelsea/Leicester will drop enough points that we can overtake them, while also doubting any chance of us captalizing on any misshaps from them.

When you take into account that we have to get around 71 point for top 4, with around 8 games that we can lose out of 26 we have to play, with 8 of said 26 games being against Chelsea 2x, Man City 2x, Liverpool, Tottenham ,United and Leicester...

Well, y'all see where this is going. I'm not even counting home/away games.

Season's over. Sacking Emery this international break was our last shot. It'll take a miracle and I think it's best we temper our expectations on what is actually achievable even with a manegerial change at christmas.

Ash10

I think you are underestimating how good Monaco were that season. Highest scoring team in Europe at the time and had an incredible midfield in Fabinho and Bakayoko and a strikeforce of Mbappe and Falcao. Why is football so binary to you guys??????????
Fact is the one he faced decent competition he failed. That Monaco team was good but on paper the PSG team was way better. Then again he wasted money on buying bums Krychowiak who according to you is very good

teamsoutheast

I'm one of the first to defend Emery with regard to his time at Sevilla, Valancia and PSG. People just want to kick him while he is down by trying to make out he was a useless manager his whole career. There is a reason why we hired him in the first place and that he was highly regarded by people who work in the football industry.

What I will say though is he seems to be out of his depth at our club. Everything he is doing is making things worse. I can't remember him having a sustained period of turmoil at any of those clubs. He might have had some issues at any one point, like the year he didn't win away at Sevilla. But he compensated for that by being very strong at home and winning the EL.

He might have lost to 9 men Madrid while at Valencia but he managed to beat them twice either side of that fixture. What I'm trying to say is, even in his worst moments he was still pulling out some impressive results regularly.

If we for example lost to 9 men City in the FA cup but then beat them 3-0 and 3-2 in the league I'm sure we would all take that. Or similarly get embarrassed 6-1 to Liverpool but in the return leg we beat them 4-0. In thise scenarios there would be something to look forward to. That would still keep the fans on side.

Unfortunately right now we not even getting fed crumbs, game after game we get dominated, we can't defend, we can't attack, we can't do anything to a decent level. You have to go back a long while to see the last game we somewhat look decent. That is hard to accept, it means there is clearly a massive issue with his coaching here.

I still think he is a decent manager, you don't suddenly go from totally schooling Klopp in a European final to not knowing anything about football. I think it is probably the language barrier, a slightly weak midfield skill wise and players never really buying into his constantly changing tactics.

It beggars belief the ignorance people have in here. I'm pretty sure he beat Barcelona and Real Madrid during that 2015-16 season. Midfield is the issue and has been for so long at this club. We are soooo lightweight in midfield that most teams will look good against us. I gurantee if we shored up the midfield with some physicality and athleticism, you will see the difference. I reckon Emery can fix that. I wonder if Tottenham are willing to loan us Wanyama???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom