• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Useless International matches

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
2-0 for us with Belotti. Nice header from a corner.
Far Oer up, Gibraltar draw and Romania take the lead against Norway.
3-0 Romagnoli! Another good header.

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
5-0 FT despite not playing well.
Far Oer, Georgia, Greece (Bosnia truly ****ed it up), Israel and Switzerland win, while Romania and Spain draw. Spain qualifies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mick McCarthy is so so negative, imagine still picking McClean and Whelan in 2019, heck Doherty should be starting over a finished Coleman too captain or not.

Hjalmaar

Foook me! We (Finland) are so so close qualifying to a major tournament for the first time in our history. Need two points and we've got Liechtenstein at home next. Also, both Armenia and Bosnia have to win all their remaining games (including Italy) to have any change catching up. C'mon!

carter777

Thinks Poch Is The GOAT

Player:Saka
Looks like Sterling and Gomez kicked off on England duty. Sterling dropped, no punishment for Gomez

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Looks like Sterling and Gomez kicked off on England duty. Sterling dropped, no punishment for Gomez

Yeeeeah he's probably England's best player :facepalm:

As much as they are adults and 'professionals' I do think its kind of stupid having a team meet the next day, yes you expect better but sometimes you just have to prepare and maybe make allowances to avoid and prevent situations like these from happening.

It was obviously an emotionally charged game, again they are adults but they both should have been approached/spoken too before arrival regarding any potential conflict.

A lot of assumptions on my part, but thats what we do here at AM :trophy:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I don’t like the narrative that the reason England’s Golden Generation never won a tournament, was because there was too many club rivalries in the squad...England were very good back then, but I think there were just better teams back then...all nations have club rivalries in them, you won’t get anything worse that Barca v Madrid, but that didn’t stop Spain winning...if Southgate thinks all he needs is for everyone to get along to be successful he is wrong, I think you need some healthy tension in every successful squad.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I don’t like the narrative that the reason England’s Golden Generation never won a tournament, was because there was too many club rivalries in the squad...England were very good back then, but I think there were just better teams back then...all nations have club rivalries in them, you won’t get anything worse that Barca v Madrid, but that didn’t stop Spain winning...if Southgate thinks all he needs is for everyone to get along to be successful he is wrong, I think you need some healthy tension in every successful squad.

It’s mainly because they had either negative or sh*t managers who didn’t know how to balance a side.

They all bottled the Gerrard - Lampard issue. It sounds mad but there wasn’t room for both of them. They played in the same position in very similar roles. Also the persistence with two strikers always baffled me.

If you had to always play 4-4-2 with no deep midfielders meant you had to sit really deep in a low block.

For me the peak Golden Era line up should always have been:

James
Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - Ashley Cole
Hargreaves - Scholes
Beckham - Lampard - Joe Cole
Rooney

Not a lot of blinding pace but every player would be in their best position at least and you wouldn’t have had the banter scenario of Scholes sacking in Internationals almost a decade before he retired.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It’s mainly because they had either negative or sh*t managers who didn’t know how to balance a side.

They all bottled the Gerrard - Lampard issue. It sounds mad but there wasn’t room for both of them. They played in the same position in very similar roles. Also the persistence with two strikers always baffled me.

Means you had to always play 4-4-2 which with no deep midfielders meant you had to sit really deep in a low block.

James
Hargreaves - Scholes
Rooney

Not a lot of blinding pace but every player would be in their best position at least and you wouldn’t have had the banter scenario of Scholes sacking in Internationals almost a decade before he retired.

Think any England team from 2006 on should’ve never played with 2 up top, and should always have had Carrick in the team.

Side note, always wish we signed Hargreaves before he went to United.

Last edited:

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

If you had to always play 4-4-2 with no deep midfielders meant you had to sit really deep in a low block.

James
Hargreaves - Scholes
Rooney

It's a bit of a myth that the issue was purely management, don't get me wrong it wasn't perfect but the players for me were the bigger issue, they never played for each other, they weren't willing to sacrifice for eachother They were all rivals who wanted to upstage eachother. Bar Robinson and Hargreaves (class player but at Bayern at the time) they were all rivals from elite clubs. I do think we would have benefited from Scholes as this side lacked a link player that could add the cohesiveness required but ultimately they showed him no respect and Scholes is no sidebitch, he's a mainbitch.

This is how we lined up in 2006 before being knocked out by Portugal. Funnily enough we won every game in which we played Gerrard and Lampard together as a 2 man midfield in the 2006 World Cup.
  • 01 P Robinson
  • 02 G Neville
  • 06 J Terry
  • 05 R Ferdinand
  • 03 A Cole
  • 16 O Hargreaves
  • 07 D Beckham (51 A Lennon )
  • 04 S Gerrard
  • 08 F Lampard
  • 11 J Cole (65 P Crouch )
  • 09 W Rooney

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I believe some of it was the rivalry, but I've also maintained that international football was just stronger back then.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom