• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Useless International matches

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

If you look at England’s centre back options in the 2000s, it really shows how bad the current defenders are in perspective...and I am not even talking just about the top tier of the Ferdinand’s, Terry’s or Campbell’s...if Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate played today they would be starting every game, and they weren’t even on the same level as the previous three I mentioned...England were stacked back then!

You can make that case with defensive talent with most national teams, does Spain have anyone like Puyol? Does Portugal have anyone like Carvalho? Does Italy have anyone like Maldini or Cannavaro?

Same applies for midfield. But what I'm taking out of this is I'd rather have a team that plays well as a unit than a team that has world class individuals. I think our chances are stronger with a harmonised team.

There is quality in this England side too, it deserves much more respect than some people are giving.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
You can make that case with defensive talent with most national teams, does Spain have anyone like Puyol? Does Portugal have anyone like Carvalho? Does Italy have anyone like Maldini or Cannavaro?

Same applies for midfield. But what I'm taking out of this is I'd rather have a team that plays well as a unit than a team that has world class individuals. I think our chances are stronger with a harmonised team.

There is quality in this England side too, it deserves much more respect than some people are giving.

The attack is obviously very good, but don't rate much after that...don't think they are a better team either, even if they get along more...think the 2018 run was very, VERY lucky...

If any England team of the Golden Generation had the run that England had at the last World Cup, how do you think they would have done?

And likewise if the 2018 England team had to play the 1998 Argentina team, 2002 Brazil team, or the 2004-2006 Portugal team more or less straight away in the knockouts how do you think they would do?

Their main tactic under Southgate seems to be, "we are all mates now, so go out there and win lads".

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

If any England team of the Golden Generation had the run that England had at the last World Cup, how do you think they would have done?

And likewise if the 2018 England team had to play the 1998 Argentina team, 2002 Brazil team, or the 2004-2006 Portugal team more or less straight away in the knockouts how do you think they would do?

Their main tactic under Southgate seems to be, "we are all mates now, so go out there and win lads".

I wouldn't back the "golden generation" to win the penalty shootout that England beat Colombia in 4-3 in the last world cup.

Like I said, there was no cohesion in that side whatsoever despite the talent, we were scraping wins against teams with that side until we were caught out. There was no fight in that team.

Riou

I wouldn't back the "golden generation" to win the penalty shootout that England beat Colombia in 4-3 in the last world cup.

Like I said, there was no cohesion in that side whatsoever despite the talent, we were scraping wins against teams with that side until we were caught out. There was no fight in that team.

Think England performed well up to 2006...even in Euro 2000, they were still in a tough group with Portugal and Germany (probably should have got out of that group ahead of Romania admittedly) they were always usually up against great teams and were unlucky imo...also, reckon England would have won Euro 2004 if Rooney didn’t get injured.

Anything post 2006 was on the managers, as a United and England fan it must have annoyed you to no end that Carrick barely played for England from 06-07 on, despite how important he was to your team...and anything post the 2010 World Cup, was just on the fact that England weren’t good enough to win a tournament imo.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
France
Spain, Germany
Belgium, Netherlands
England, Italy, Portugal

How I rank them. Might even be tempted to drop England in a group lower alongside Croatia.
Germany below Belgium, England and Netherlands (in that order) for me. Worst German team in decades.

JoaoFelix

France have Giroud as their lead striker, he'll be 34 by the time the Euros come round? They really struggled against Moldova.

I think the young generation of English players plays with a confidence and freedom on the international scene (club and country) which hasn't been there for yonks, partly due to the dominance which the PL is gradually grinding out over the other major leagues. Whether they will be ready for next year, I don't know. But if they make it to the semis at least then it starts to become a habit and the chances of actually winning something increase.

I should remind you there's still Griezmann, Mbappe, Coman, Pogba, Kante, Ndombele, Tolisso, Varane, Lenglet. Literally a squad full of world class players in every position. Giroud presence doesn't even matter. Les Bleus become world champion without their best player who is Karim Benzema.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I should remind you there's still Griezmann, Mbappe, Coman, Pogba, Kante, Ndombele, Tolisso, Varane, Lenglet. Literally a squad full of world class players in every position. Giroud presence doesn't even matter. Les Bleus become world champion without their best player who is Karim Benzema.
I am reminded, but I still think semi-finals is their limit. And I like Giroud.

JoaoFelix

I am reminded, but I still think semi-finals is their limit. And I like Giroud.
France limit is semi-finals and England are more favourites than them? Are you kidding me? How many world class players there is on that team except Kane, Sterling, TAA ? Should I remind you what happened during Nations League or during the world cup? France were finalist in the euro 2016 and won the world cup. England is a bit way to overrated because except that front three, midfield and that defence is average. To be honest, even France second team would beat England. I'm not even kidding. France second team - Ferland Mendy Laporte Upamecano/Konate Mendy Aouar Guendouzi Camavinga Dembele Lacazette Fekir. Even that C team is more complete England. Stop overrating England. And come with facts.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
France limit is semi-finals and England are more favourites than them? Are you kidding me? How many world class players there is on that team except Kane, Sterling, TAA ? Should I remind you what happened during Nations League or during the world cup? France were finalist in the euro 2016 and won the world cup. England is a bit way to overrated because except that front three, midfield and that defence is average. To be honest, even France second team would beat England. I'm not even kidding. France second team - Ferland Mendy Laporte Upamecano/Konate Mendy Aouar Guendouzi Camavinga Dembele Lacazette Lemar. Even that C team is more complete England. Stop overrating England. And come with facts.
Vive la France!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
England are surely third favourites for this behind Belgium and maybe Spain? Though the dross they've played in qualifying doesn't help in seeing where they're at.
We’ve got a punchers chance. We can bang. There are holes though. Tactics will be paramount, which is why Southgate is the reason we won’t win it.

Riou

Was thinking about some of the best international performances I have seen, and this one popped into my head...video is admittedly a little too long, could have easily had it at 5 mins and just focus on the best bits, but regardless I loved this performance...that run at around 6:50, that’s what Arshavin was all about...was so excited when new we signed him!

Top Bottom