• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
There's something to Pepe, but he'll never live up to 70M fee. Needs to find that productivity in the final third that made him such a good player in France. But I'm starting to fear that h'es not a good fit for the PL.

We have to forget the fee. It’s somewhat arbitrary anyway given 80% of it is structured payments.

Truth is even players who’ve done it in the champions league like Falcao and Di Maria looked **** in the PL compared to France with fewer physical demands and lesser intensity.

Only thing we know is he’ll need to develop more power. Confidence is bound to dissipate when you get brushed off the ball with ease every time you come into contact with it.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
He has bags of ability. However, we can’t blame Emery entirely for his current form. He’s missed very easy chances- Emery can’t legislate for that.

He needs to start having sustainable influences on games. Atm we’re getting 15 minute flashes here and there. I like him though, I think he’s gonna be deadly when he finds his feet.
My gripe is his body language and languidness. Sometimes it geniunely looks like he is not that bothered.

But like yourself I have faith in him, our system is not helping any creative players and not supplying them in dangerous positions.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Emery being a bum aside, that 2v1 that he completely botched was really disappointing.

Still have faith though, Pepe kind of reminds me of Salah and Mane, I can see why Klopp wanted him at Liverpool.

I see no reason why he couldn’t be as good as those two tbh. Just need the attacking set up and same kind of chances created for him. He’s already a better dribbler, technically anyway.

Also it was really and I mean really poor of Emery to drop him as he came into form. Haters will say what form? But it was clear he was starting to look a lot more confident and effective before he was dropped.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Somebody pointed this out, Emery plays him in a way where he expects Pepe to pick the ball up halfway and drive at the opposition, usually on his own. At Lille the system was setup in such a way that the aim was to get Pepe the ball in the final third and he didn't have to worry too much about the process up until that point apart from his own movement and positioning so he could receive the ball in a dangerous area.

As for him squandering opportunities, his confidence is completely gone, it'll take some work to get it back up again.

Underhill

I think Pepe is just lost in a sea of sh1t and I don't blame him for it. He's a great player and will come good in the right set up with the right manager.
This is my take on it. He has shown plenty of quality already in France and internationally. He doesn't strike me as the kind of player that would struggle with the speed or physicality of this league.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

I think people forget that Henry was France’s top scorer in a World Cup winning campaign before joining us.

The guy had credentials
The reason nobody remembers is because he scored some tap ins and was largely unremarkable in that tournament. He then flopped massively at Juventus and was allowed to leave for Arsenal because they felt they had wasted money on him. Those were his credentials. I'm not saying Pepe is going to have that same level of turnaround but let's not act like great players can't get off to a rough start and then change their fortunes.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The reason nobody remembers is because he scored some tap ins and was largely unremarkable in that tournament. He then flopped massively at Juventus and was allowed to leave for Arsenal because they felt they had wasted money on him. Those were his credentials. I'm not saying Pepe is going to have that same level of turnaround but let's not act like great players can't get off to a rough start and then change their fortunes.

:lol:

I understand you're trying to make a point about Pepe but the guff about Henry isn't doing you justice.

He was an important player for one of the best french teams of all time and helped them reach the World Cup final as well as helping Monaco reach the Champions League semi final at the age of 20.

He only made 16 appearances for Juve. Several of them as a wing back. Wenger knew him from Monaco and understood how to motivate him.

His slow start was under very different circumstances. To write Pepe off is silly but his learning curve, and yes his credentials are nowhere near Henry's at the same stage.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I wasn’t fan of Arsenal pre-Henry, but I am a football nerd and I love doing research, especially on Titi who is my favourite player.

Wasn’t he one of France’s best youngsters back in 1998...he looked a pretty damn fine winger, obviously better upfront, but looked very exciting playing wide left...he played for one of Monaco’s best ever teams from what 1996-1999, winning the league and getting to the semis of both the Champions League and Uefa Cup...he is one of the best young players in the old Championship Manager games too around this time!

Plus, I stil think he played a lot of minutes during their 1998 World Cup win and was their top scorer, scored a penalty in their quarterfinal over Italy too.

Henry was definitely a more accomplished player than Pepe when he arrived...wish Pepe was playing in a better Arsenal team though, as he is getting tasked with doing too much in this poor one.

TheEconomist

Established Member
If someone like Sterling can develop into a player that can terrorise defences I think Pepe can definitely do that same. I read somewhere that Arteta was instrumental in helping Sterling reach a new level. Not that Arteta is necessarily the answer, but I think he can be our best player if he gets the right help

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Even Salah would struggle to do what is being asked if Pepe every week. If you watch Salah play, taking on his man isn’t one of his strengths, in fact I’d say Pepe is actually better in that regard.

But Salah receives the ball in dangerous areas and uses his quality to punish teams. Pepe rarely receives the ball in places where he can really hurt the opposition. The only attacker who does really is Aubameyang.

Forgive me for the clip but Mourinho analyses Pepe quite well having watched him extensively in France;

It’s baffling that everyone and their dog seems to know what to do to make our attacking function correctly. Everyone but our ****ing “head coach.”

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Even Salah would struggle to do what is being asked if Pepe every week. If you watch Salah play, taking on his man isn’t one of his strengths, in fact I’d say Pepe is actually better in that regard.

But Salah receives the ball in dangerous areas and uses his quality to punish teams. Pepe rarely receives the ball in places where he can really hurt the opposition. The only attacker who does really is Aubameyang.

Forgive me for the clip but Mourinho analyses Pepe quite well having watched him extensively in France;

It’s baffling that everyone and their dog seems to know what to do to make our attacking function correctly. Everyone but our ****ing “head coach.”

It's alarm bell time yup . You always tend to learn something new with great coaches , with Emery what you see is what you get , crap .

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

A player I labelled a Gervinho 2.0 but one I'm happy to give time to as he clearly has talent and his price tag dictates we need patience.

He has to play high and wide with a full back making under lapping runs blocking defenders off. Its just a shame we dont see him regularly in that position to either cut in on his left or to play a cut ball to the full back.

A player that hopefully benefits from a change of management.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

What's the point in commenting on anyone's form in this Emery team.

Emery makes a team worse than the sum of its parts

Reactions: Jae

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I wasn’t fan of Arsenal pre-Henry, but I am a football nerd and I love doing research, especially on Titi who is my favourite player.

Wasn’t he one of France’s best youngsters back in 1998...he looked a pretty damn fine winger, obviously better upfront, but looked very exciting playing wide left...he played for one of Monaco’s best ever teams from what 1996-1999, winning the league and getting to the semis of both the Champions League and Uefa Cup...he is one of the best young players in the old Championship Manager games too around this time!

Plus, I stil think he played a lot of minutes during their 1998 World Cup win and was their top scorer, scored a penalty in their quarterfinal over Italy too.

Henry was definitely a more accomplished player than Pepe when he arrived...wish Pepe was playing in a better Arsenal team though, as he is getting tasked with doing too much in this poor one.

Yup. Henry came here with a decent CV.

He joined the Clarefontaine academy at 13. The same year as Anelka and Saha and was educated there for 2/3 years. When he made his debut at Monaco, they were among the best teams in Ligue 1, with Wenger already their first team coach and playing top level European competition. He was one of the most sought after players in the world. He'd won major titles and played 5 seasons at the highest level.

None of that guarantees anything but it certainly meant we weren't taking as big a risk with him as we were with Pepe. Henry had 1 bad season in his career before Arsenal, Pepe had 1 great season. That's the biggest difference. Not a criticism just a fact.

Pepe has only really had 2 full seasons of top flight football in his career. He came up through lower leagues, and never worked with the world class coaches and players that Henry did.

Again, that doesn't mean he can't become a world class footballer. He just has to put in a lot more work to do so, because he's starting from quite a bit further back. I just wish he had a better environment in which to acclimatise.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I believe in him, think he has a very high ceiling. A ceiling that will never be reached with Emery around, though. Our most exciting player!

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
What's the point in commenting on anyone's form in this Emery team.

Emery makes a team worse than the sum of its parts

As much as I agree with what you're saying some of these players need to pull their ****ing finger out and just get on with it.

Yes morale may be low and they have a **** of a 'head coach' but they should be putting in more effort, suppose that goes against the objective of getting rid of him though.

It annoys me less than Emery and I'd rather he got sacked but it still pisses me off that alot of these players cant even do the simple thing of 'put in a shift' and I don't think that should be forgotten post Emery.

Yeah his game plan is ****e etc but effort isnt too much to ask from a professional athlete.

(Not a rant at Pepe, just a general observation in the wrong thread)

scytheavatar

Established Member

In another words, we never needed a player like Pepe when we already have Auba. Perhaps we will get to see Pepe at his best after we sell Auba next summer.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Pepe was clean through in the last game at 1-1.

He could have taken the shot and tried to score, maybe we would have won the game and ultimately led to Emery getting the rest of the season

Not all heroes wear capes, some wear the number nineteen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom