• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
14/15 was a disappointment in that we didn't push on at all from 13/14 (despite adding Sanchez) as Chelsea coasted to the title. FA Cup run was decent though.

Agree that 15/16 was the worst of the lot. Honestly broke me. Pretty sure I was threatening to carpet bomb the emirates towards the end.

The first half of 14-15 was a dumpster fire, only Sanchez saved it really, injuries and a poor squad showed...when Kos and Giroud got fit, and Coq came back to play CM with Santi I thought he looked quality...and although we only kinda matched what we did the previous season, I thought we looked closer to a league winning team at the end of that season...in 13-14 we were a good team, but we lacked that X factor to me to be a great one, Sanchez was a top signing...if you looked at the FA Cup final team in 2015, if you put Auba in that we win the league, it had everything else.

isop

Because they were too slow and Emery is a bigger failure than expected. Who's out there? Luis Enrqiue went back to Spain. If Allegri and Potch don't want to come for various reasons you're already out of proven top solutions at this point that are actually available.

Leaves you with the risky options of absolute beginners like Arteta - who apparently also doesn't want to leave City mid season - or appointing some kind of caretaker - and even that route seems limited with Bould, maybe Benitez, and a host of past it or straight out always have been bums like Blanc. Carbon copies of Emery like Marcelino should be a no go, too. Even the likes of Howe or Nuno won't leave their clubs mid season to join this trainwreck right now, even if they were interested.

Same goes for the crop of German up an comers like Nagelsmann or Rose. Why would they leave their stable clubs on successful runs right now after not even having been in charge there for one full season? Someone like Ten Hag also has stated he won't leave during the season, especially since he's playing in the CL instead of the EL, and he's already attracting currently bigger names like Bayern.

The manager market is seriously dry right now for a club in Arsenal's situation. You're almost forced to go the caretaker route, but like I said there's actually very few options bar Benitez I'd actually consider. Or you go leftfield but there's also not that many options. Gallardo is on Barca's radar, Arteta the biggest risk you can take and apparently unwilling to leave right now...what's left really? Maybe you could get that Robert Moreno fella until June with an option for another year if it works out. Risky, but less risky than Arteta as he's at least managed Spain for a few games and you heard good stuff.

You're being harsh on Blanc, he's actually a very good manager imo. I like him but it seems he has his eyes on a big club, competing for the league and CL. But you never know, selling him a good project may tempt him.

I agree that Marcelino is pragmatic like Emery and should not be considered.

I was just thinking about leftfield managers and I think it's a route we can take right now.

3 names I think we should consider:

Jorge Jesus, Bruno Genesio, Marcelo Gallardo.

I've seen teams from the first 2 play really good football, and all 3 are tactically sound from what I've read and seen.

I'd love Rangnick but it seems he doesn't want to coach anymore, unless it's a huge club like Bayern or Man u?

I'd love Gasperini here too, plays amazing football and overachieves with smaller teams punching above their weight, but he seems to prefer staying in Italy, unless perhaps a very interesting offer/project comes along.

There are more risky options like Setien and Sampaoli who have had high finishes in La Liga. Could be worth a punt, you never know. But I'd like to see us try one from the 3 above names first.

Jorge Jesus, Genesio, Gallardo, Blanc, Rangnick, Gasperini, Setien, Sampaoli.

A good set of talented, attack minded coaches in this list alone if we were to scout well and make some offers/sell them a good project.

Last edited:

Leeroy1979

For me it's got to be either Allegri with his proven track record to fix us here and now by using the window in jan and his nous to stiffen us up...or take a punt on a project like viera or arteta and accept it's a work in progress and give it the time it needs like Chelsea have done with lampard

Leeroy1979

I'm sure if it was outright offered to arteta he'd take it and I'd think given they are friends that pep wouldn't stand in his way...viera would surely pack a case pronto from nice as well

Leeroy1979

If they did give it to arteta or viera I'd buy into the gamble tho. Got to love a punt!

A little part of me is jealous of Chelsea the way they are doing it (even though it's been forced on them)

I always said I think one of the top side as should take a punt on Howe but seeing Bournemouth defend and some of his buys would make me sweat if it was us

GoonerJay24

The first half of 14-15 was a dumpster fire, only Sanchez saved it really, injuries and a poor squad showed...when Kos and Giroud got fit, and Coq came back to play CM with Santi I thought he looked quality...and although we only kinda matched what we did the previous season, I thought we looked closer to a league winning team at the end of that season...in 13-14 we were a good team, but we lacked that X factor to me to be a great one, Sanchez was a top signing...if you looked at the FA Cup final team in 2015, if you put Auba in that we win the league, it had everything else.

Ultimately, we should of won the league at least twice in those seasons between 2013-2016.

Injuries scuppered the team in each of those campaigns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom