• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeVinna

Established Member
I’ll **** myself in laughter if we bag Poch. Would add fuel to the rivalry and likely result in some epic North London derby’s.

Honestly I think he’d be the perfect fit to balance out our team and play tidy, effective football.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I figured it was safe to drop in now (much of the negativity being lifted and a new hope on the horizon).

A few thoughts on some of the managerial candidates:

Pochettino: Always rated him and he would be a good fit for Arsenal. It's a club where he might even win trophies. Extra points for Sp**s fans who adored him having to watch him manage Arsenal and Arsenal fans who despised him suddenly loving him if the team does well.

Allegri: His success at Juventus speaks for itself (although things were a bit sketchier at Milan). I read this morning that he reportedly would demand two new center backs (my top priority last summer while everyone was saying all Arsenal needed was Pepe to sort out the defense from the flank). Somehow it doesn't seem like a great fit to me, but I certainly would not be against giving it a try.

Arteta: I'd be much more in favor of Arteta at this point because Emery has already filled the role of "guy who succeeded the legend." It would be easier for Arteta or another first-time manager to succeed Emery.

Ancelotti: Would have been a fine choice to succeed Wenger because it's a bit easier for a legend to follow the legend. I love Carlo and would never be against him, but I don't think he's the best choice at this time. I'd prefer somebody younger with some newer ideas.

Rodgers: Well, look at Leicester. The guy is pretty good and is proving his doubters wrong. Despite the fact that he jumped ship from Celtic mid-season last year, I can't see him doing it again for Arsenal. He's on track to possibly build something special at Leicester, so why would he want to leave to clean up a mess?

Nuno: Guy is a great manager and his teams can play some lovely football. Would be fine with him, but honestly don't see it happening during the season. Maybe in the summer. He's in the same rat pack with Raul and Jorge Mendes.

Patrick Vieira: I've always said I'd love to see Vieira manage Arsenal someday. Has that time come? He would certainly be an intriguing choice and his status as a true club legend would lend him a lot more benefit of the doubt from the fan base.

Freddie: Not really an option since he doesn't have his UEFA Pro License. He can only manage for 12 weeks without special dispensation. But this will be good experience for him. Has always seemed like one of the true good guys in the sport, so I'll be thrilled if he has a good run.

Welcome back, mate.

Thoughts on how all this ended?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Julien Laurens is awful, not even worth posting

images

Reactions: A_G

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
I read this morning that he reportedly would demand two new center backs (my top priority last summer while everyone was saying all Arsenal needed was Pepe to sort out the defense from the flank).

Nobody ever said this.

Wengysaurus

I don't care who the new coach/manager is, so long as they can set up a team to look solid and then play some decent football. Is that too much to ask for?

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Welcome back, mate.

Thoughts on how all this ended?

Thanks!

Well, it's just sad. Emery is a very good coach (you don't win what he's won and be named European Coach of the Year if you're a bum). But for whatever reason it all went sour and just wasn't going to work out. It had to be done. Probably the best thing for Emery as well as he can move on and should have no trouble getting a job in Spain next year, if nothing else. I think his inability to command English probably hurt him a lot, as has been reported.

That said, the players shoulder a lot of the blame here as well. He can't keep them from making stupid mistakes and turning off at the wrong moments. And if it's true that some of them have been mocking Emery, that's just disgraceful. But hopefully now that this pall has been lifted, some new optimism can lead to better things (especially a Europa League title as it's going to be really difficult to catch Chelsea or Leicester while still staying ahead of a couple of others).

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Nobody ever said this.

You obviously weren't paying attention. I may have engaged in a bit of purposeful hyperbole for effect, but the argument was that a speedy winger with width would do more to bring balance to the defensive end than actual good center backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom