• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

atmosphere at pompey

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 2,402
A

Anonymous

"do you ever sing at all?"
"five nil and you still dont sing!"

oh dear, we were a total embarressment today. our fans do not deserve a team like we have. and the pompey fans put us to shame. after we have clearly masacred them, why did our fans not start getting involved and get abit of banter going with the pompey fans ? there were some of us there who tryed, and we try every bloudy week, but we seem to be fighting a losing battle.
thank god the pompey fans are what everyone notices now when they watch the game. otherwise everyone would notice that we are winning 5-0 and are standing there like someones just died !! ****ing embarresment !!!!

"oh dear, our own fans dont know how to sing"
"bunch of spoiled yuppies, your just a bunch of spoiled yuppies"

KoLo28

Doesn't sound too promising, 5 nil up and the opposition is taking the piss? A tad embarrassing! IF we win the league away from home, our supporters better make some noise, and at home for that matter. I rekon scrap the members rubbish, all tickets are onsale for the public!

satan_beckham

its a shame that our fans just dont look like fans of us..portsmouth fans were cheering for us even though their team got thrashed.....

those ppl who got their tickets for arsenal games surely dont deserved them..i argee with KoLo28,they should scrape the members thingy and let the public buy the tickets

KoLo28

Despite having a fantatsic team they must have the quietest supporters i've ever seen at fratton park. Even wimbledon's 30 last year made more noise. I could tell at the end of the game that Henry appreciated the crowd when he stood in the centre circle and applauded all sides of the ground.

- a quote from a link that was on Arsenal-World.com.. :roll:

A

Anonymous

ppl who got their tickets for arsenal games surely dont deserved them

MOST !!! not all. me and my mob always try our hardest to get some atmosphere going, but there is just not enough people interested. its a bloud shame !!! and many of the ones who used to sing all the time are now unable to go due to prices and availability of tickets !!!

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I don't think it's fair to slag the Arsenal fans for lack of noise yesterday. The Pompey fans were absolutely amazing, and as Titi said he'd never ever seen anything like it. Fair play to them, I just wish they hadn't signed 'him'.

A

Anonymous

the pompey fans were brilliant, unlike any atmosphere i have heard for a while. so u coulnt really expect the arsenal fans to out do them, but that still isnt an excuse for the lack of fans we have that bother to sing. the same few faces each game are there trying their hardest, but it makes it impossible when we have just so many fans that dont want to sing! and for a while now i've been trying to work it out, but i cant put a finger on why our fans are predominantly so poor ! can anyone help me out !!
i know theres a few reasons but none of them should be an excuse, uniteds fans seem to sing all the time - well, at least more than us anyway !!!

"bunch of spoiled yuppies, you're just a bunch of spoiled yuppies, bunch of spoiled yuppies"

mauapa

set up those signboard like the american talkshow... when they say something funny the signboard is show a applause word in red... an those audience will start clapping hands.

maybe we should put one on .. when we need to sing this song, the song title will appear.

just an idea, even though it sound stupid

Split

It really is an embarrassment and sooo frustrating.

I think that most fans are culprits of the same problem the team had last season.

COMPLACENCY. :(

too many 'fans' just expect us to win and go to matches to watch a 'show'.

Get behind the boys, not only for the team, but also to make the whole match-going experience infinitely more enjoyable for everyone.

:evil: :evil:

A

Anonymous

clockend_faithful said:
"do you ever sing at all?"
"five nil and you still dont sing!"

oh dear, we were a total embarressment today. our fans do not deserve a team like we have. and the pompey fans put us to shame. after we have clearly masacred them, why did our fans not start getting involved and get abit of banter going with the pompey fans ? there were some of us there who tryed, and we try every bloudy week, but we seem to be fighting a losing battle.
thank god the pompey fans are what everyone notices now when they watch the game. otherwise everyone would notice that we are winning 5-0 and are standing there like someones just died !! f****g embarresment !!!!

"oh dear, our own fans dont know how to sing"
"bunch of spoiled yuppies, your just a bunch of spoiled yuppies"
I know mate, every time I go I always sing, especially away. Maybe its good that I couldnt get the tickets for yesterday, because our fans couldnt be heard at all, but to be fair the Portsmouth fans would have probably out sung us anyway. Hopefully there will be a decent atmosphere from us up at Blackburn next week because Ill be pissed if I go all that way and for none of our fans to do anything

nnn

Too many old ****ers who've been there for years.

The worst culprit happens to be the tourist who does'nt know what he/she is doing there and does'nt understand whats happening.

Then again , the ticket office gave 24 consecutive seats to a scandanavian football suporters club (note , not even an arsenal club) for charlton in the west lower , they spent the game comparing the shoes they had bough at the market earlier in the day. Some wore charlton and utd shirts.

The bottom line is that the tickets are'nt going to the right people, which are the kids from london who would bite off their own arm to get in , the fans of the future , and the people who will be going home and away no matter how fashionable or popular football is.

We suffer from a lack of hardcore support , partly because of a victim of our own success , and die to the club being attractive to affluant fans of which there are huge amount within a 10-mile radius.

We will soon have a stadium full of people who will probably just be visitors on a week trip to London, none of whom are arsenal fans, none of whom understand the idea of support in a match. The people who used to go home and away and spend huge amounts of time and money supporting the club will get sick of paying £40-£48 to watch at home , and not bother going to boro on a cold wedensday night to watch a televised game in a cup the club doesnt care about. They will either not bother to go , or watch another club where you're not surrounded by the johnny come latelys with money or the prawn sandwich crew.

The problem is , supporting the club has become a hassle , rather then something most enjoy, trying to get tickets without giving £60 to a tout who has 15 trs numbers, then sitting next to an old geezer with the money for a bond slagging off Terry Henry for an hour , and leaving 10 minutes before the end. Then if you want to travel away , like my cousin , you get ****ed over by the club as if you want concessions tickets (a difference of £35 against chelsea) you have to pay a further £14 to become a junior gunner.

The club is not treating their fans with the respect they deserve and a result they are going to suffer in the long run when the football bubble bursts. Should arsenal face a few barren seasons they will be left with a shortfall of a large amount of money and support, and the hardcore element 95% of league clubs rely on will be gone.

A

Anonymous

Our home support has long been a joke, but our once great away following seems to be going the same way.
Leeds, Everton, Bolton and Wolves come to mind as being very poor from our fans. It seems that these new post 98/01 supporters are coming to away games now aswell.

But when you think about it, who apart from people from Portsmouth, Newcastle, Wolves, Leeds etc are going to want to go and watch them?? Hardly anyone at all, meaning the vast majority of the support is local and hardcore.

People from all over Britain, Europe and the world want to come and watch us, the mancs and Liverpool, meaning the atmosphere suffers. Half the people dont know the words to the songs, even if they wanted to sing.

But really im beyond caring. Our team is fantastic and play some of the best football in the world. I would like us to have a great support, but part of being a successful club means you attract loads of plastics. If the only stick we get from other supports or the media is the state of our support, or lack of it, then so be it.

reggiepaul

Well I think this is a massive misinterpretation of events from the Pompey fans. Exiled is right that the situation was far different from the view of the Pompey fans but in my eyes Wolverhampton we're louder and the more passionate atmosphere. While Pompey just sung, basically the wanderers were full of a million more songs and were up for the banter as well as creating it but giving it back - something pompey fans weren't doing. I do admit it's the first time I have been to a ground where they haven't indulged in banter as much. Whenever we answered them back they just kept repeating what we were answering back to. So any form of banter was unproductive really. So how do you really expect us to make anything out of it when the fans are lost in their own world.

Take for instance the Thierry Henry when Henry went in for that tackle and singing Vieira over and over and also singing Ian Wright Wright Wright to Schmeichel in the commentary box. It's not something Pompey fans really had because their songs only turned up when we were quiet for a while watching the game I guess. Their interaction with fans was flawed as well. Where other fans will do a back and forth Pompey didn't do this. They wouldn't hear what we were singing. It was weird. To add to which, they didn't give us a roof either. I think we did rather well under the circumstances.

The other bizarre misinterpretation from Pompey fans the fact they couldn't hear us from our end. Most of the noise was coming from the other end. Yes most of them seemed to sing but let's face it, there weren't many of them there was there. We were standing up throughout that game. There were some seated when I looked down the stand but those were only the first 2 or 3 rows, at most, because most of second and third row seemed to be standing.

I have a sore throat after yesterday. I sang loads and so did the guys around me. If someone else wasn't singing, my answer now? I don't give two ****s. I've realised if you sing loud enough you get a decent amount around you singing. You create and atmosphere and you give banter back. WHere I was sitting there was some banter, a fair bit actually and when Teddy arrived - Well - that was just a great laugh. I thought taking the piss out of Teddy was a last amusement but we still have him and we can dish it some more at the league game too.

The Pompey fans are basically somewhat hypocritical about support. They have a sad selection of travelling fans. Recently their club had to pay for their fans not turning up at away games. So hello? We sell out all our away games. Sometimes we may not be loud but in my memory the oppossition fans have seen us a great support and I remember being told by Wolves fans we were the loudest set of fans they had seen all season.

I have to admit I have always had singers around me and it takes that situation of being a giver as well as a provider in the situation. It's tough at Highbury especially in the east and west stands but more easier away from home.

Problem? No. Yes it's quiet at the library a lot. That's just a weird selection of fans. I had a great day yesterday. 5 goals, taking the piss out of Teddy, talking to gooners, Singing lots (would you believe it!) and basically meeting a good selection of great Pompey fans who were there for the football and to give credit where credit was do.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
One thing that was noticable yesterday on the telly was that they turned the crowd mics down everytime the Arsenal end DID sing. It was particularly noticable just after the ex-scummer came on.

A

Anonymous

ExiledInNewcastle said:
One thing that was noticable yesterday on the telly was that they turned the crowd mics down everytime the Arsenal end DID sing. It was particularly noticable just after the ex-scummer came on.

MMM they must do the same at Highbury then!.

reggiepaul

lol

We took so much piss out of Teddy yesterday it was unreal. I can understand them turning that down, well not really. That's entertainment, what else do the BBC want!

reggiepaul

evoke said:
ExiledInNewcastle said:

MMM they must do the same at Highbury then!.

I always rewatch games in the background after I have seen it live and they do tend to amplify certain situations and dumb down other situations. Especially Highbury, which is never that loud. It's more obvious for Sky Sports Coverage but ITV and BBC seem to be able to hide it a little better if not obviously.

Alexone234

clockend_faithful said:
ppl who got their tickets for arsenal games surely dont deserved them

MOST !!! not all. me and my mob always try our hardest to get some atmosphere going, but there is just not enough people interested. its a bloud shame !!! and many of the ones who used to sing all the time are now unable to go due to prices and availability of tickets !!!

Its funny how everyone I ever speak to sings. It begs the question as to who exactly isn't making any noise.

reggiepaul

Alex, I've met plenty of people who say they sing but they don't. It's how much they sing really. Some sing a little, others a lot. I think its confidence breaking at times too. Some people are shell shocked at the level of football they are witnessing too.

It's a bermuda triangle the whole singing thing.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Latest posts

Top Bottom