• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Excellent corners. Kept the ball moving, but without any real incision. Middle of the road performance, which is BAU for Özil and quite a few people seem more than happy with these performances. Nowhere near his recent outstanding performance at Anfield in the Milk cup.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Typical Özil performance good with ball some good passing bad easily getting bullied not trying to win ball back and can't bother to press

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
I can see why people say we need him, because he does hold the ball and keep it ticking over, but your best players have to be the ones who are incisive and willing to try and get in the positions to hurt. It'd be ok, if he were laying off balls for Gavin McThunderfoot to blast home from 25 yards, but we haven't got that player, and I'm not even sure Gavin exists.

Gooner_girl14

I can see why people say we need him, because he does hold the ball and keep it ticking over, but your best players have to be the ones who are incisive and willing to try and get in the positions to hurt. It'd be ok, if he were laying off balls for Gavin McThunderfoot to blast home from 25 yards, but we haven't got that player, and I'm not even sure Gavin exists.

Don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon so unless we get in a better replacement (unlikely) he's still our most creative player , even if he is past his best. We have much bigger issues in midfield and defence anyway.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

This thread in gif form
tenor.gif
Epic! :lol:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon so unless we get in a better replacement (unlikely) he's still our most creative player , even if he is past his best. We have much bigger issues in midfield and defence anyway.
Not with those wages. He is glued to us for now. He isn’t going anywhere. He will leech us to the last penny of that contract for sure then leave on a free. Well played Mesut! Wish he could be as good on the pitch...

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Tbh, I dont even understand the 'past his best' theory. His stamina and athleticism is as it was, and unless he's taken up hard drugs, his brain should be fine. He's dropped off mentally imo. Lost that edge for whatever reason.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Tbh, I dont even understand the 'past his best' theory. His stamina and athleticism is as it was, and unless he's taken up hard drugs, his brain should be fine. He's dropped off mentally imo. Lost that edge for whatever reason.
Think Wenger's theory about not having an international place to fight for might carry some weight. Tough situation though, because if I was in Özil's position I wouldn't want to play with those guys either.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Tbh, I dont even understand the 'past his best' theory.
Not sure why that is difficult to understand? Players as humans change. Just because you play at a certain level at one point doesn't mean that you will continue that. Some will be mental, some physical. Look at other sports. How many players can keep it at the highest level for long? There are a select few that keep at a high level for very long, but they often have to change how they play as they age.

Özil has also change from say WC 2010. To me that is when he was at his best. We actually received him on the downside of his career. He is now 31 years old and has played top league football for over a decade.

He has also never come across like he is consumed by a need to compete and improve. Maybe he isn't even that into playing football. Football lifted him out of a poor neighbourhood. Growing up like he did with a poor working class immigrant background in the Ruhr area, football was probably all he ever had to create a good future for himself and his family. He has achieved what he wanted and now he is starting to enjoy other things.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Think Wenger's theory about not having an international place to fight for might carry some weight. Tough situation though, because if I was in Özil's position I wouldn't want to play with those guys either.
Yes, it's most probably that. Importance creates motivation, so you'd think he'd be able to motivate himself to prove himself right and the DFB wrong, but he obviously must have put a lot of importance on playing for Germany. Why, though? His heart and blood is Turkish at the end of the day.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
Not sure why that is difficult to understand? Players as humans change. Just because you play at a certain level at one point doesn't mean that you will continue that. Some will be mental, some physical. Look at other sports. How many players can keep it at the highest level for long? There are a select few that keep at a high level for very long, but they often have to change how they play as they age.

Özil has also change from say WC 2010. To me that is when he was at his best. We actually received him on the downside of his career. He is now 31 years old and has played top league football for over a decade.

He has also never come across like he is consumed by a need to compete and improve. Maybe he isn't even that into playing football. Football lifted him out of a poor neighbourhood. Growing up like he did with a poor working class immigrant background in the Ruhr area, football was probably all he ever had to create a good future for himself and his family. He has achieved what he wanted and now he is starting to enjoy other things.
Players dip due to age, mostly. But not all players do, depending on what they relied on at their peak. What may Özil have lost that he relied on at his peak? Maybe it's his back problem as well, which makes him subconsciously put less effort in. The feeling of fragility can take something off you.

chessygoal

The most bizarre thing with Özil is that his decline isn't physical. Everyone used to praise him for his perfectly weighted pass, always in the right tempo, but I have seen a lot of misplaced or over/under hit pass from him recently. I hope it's temporary, because if he lost that, he'll become useless.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I remember when a lot of people here thought that we were playing atrociously because Özil wasnt playing and we'd suddenly magically start playing better football when he returns.

Since he has come back nothing has changed, just because Emery wasn't a good manager it doesnt make him totally wrong about Özil's application or inconsistency.

As I said at the time, Arsenal would be best suited with Emery AND Özil leaving the club. Until then I will support him and hope he pulls off some good performances when we need him. But im not going to hold my breath expecting him to do it as often as he should.

Divided_Pie

The most bizarre thing with Özil is that his decline isn't physical. Everyone used to praise him for his perfectly weighted pass, always in the right tempo, but I have seen a lot of misplaced or over/under hit pass from him recently. I hope it's temporary, because if he lost that, he'll become useless.
Noticed this as well, he's played very little this season and in general the lineup hasn't been consistent so hopefully this will improve with more time on the pitch, and hopefully a consistent formation and first 11.

clovis

Özil ass lickers won’t admit that he is a ***** who was finished a good 5 years ago.

first they blamed Wenger, then they blamed Low, then they blamed Emery, now pretty soon they will start blaming Freddie and whoever the next manager is. However, they won’t stop licking his ass.

getting this overpaid flop out of the club is as important as getting rid of Emery was. We badly need a new CAM.

Tumblin'Dice

Hates Reddit
The best thing that happened to Özil's reputation was being dropped by Emery.

He got the perceived quality bump injured players usually get without having to suffer an injury.

We knew we needed to move him on before the season started, hopefully we'll be able to shift him soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom