• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joestlaachmkr

I have never understood why in the hell the board chose Emery as a replacement for Wenger. Espacially since candidates like Thomas Tuchel, Luis Enrique, Leonardo Jardim, Julian Nagelsmann, Brendan Rodgers or Max Allegri was available.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Also where does this narrative that Mourinho destroys the squad developement come from?

- The first time he was Chelsea's head coach, he's built the best core of their history around Drogba, Cole, Lampard, Terry, Carvalho. Those same players kept winning even after he left. They were the best team in England alongside Man Utd during the second half of the last decade.
They were his legacy.

- His Inter job was a win now situation. He was hired to win the CL. His squad was full of old players that were near the end of their career, and they wanted to win the CL asap.
So he wasn't into building mode.

- At Madrid, he's built the fundations of the most successful team in the CL.
Before Mourinho got there, they were a banter team in the CL during the past decade and were knocked out by Lyon every single year :lol:
Yes he hasn't won the CL (and he was kinda unlucky), but he's built the fundations Ancelotti & Zidane used to win 4 CL. He's moved Ramos to CB, Varane, Di Maria, Özil, he turned Pepe into a beast. He's brought on Modric.
He's changed the club's culture and turned it into a winning machine.

- Second time at Chelsea he's built the fundations Conte has benefited from to win a title, they were still a competitive team when he left.

- At Man Utd I don't think he's destroyed anything. They were bad before him, and still mediocre after him. They've been terrible as a whole. Woodward is a joke.

Mourinho didn't develop Lampard, Terry or Drogba, nor did he build that core. Lampard was 27 when Mourinho took over in 2005. I won't even talk about Cole, because you should know full well where he learned his trade. He knew Carvalho from his time at Porto, Lampard, Terry, and Drogba were already there

The whole point of Mourinho is that he takes ready made teams and wins with them.

The part in bold is also just laughable. Mourinho turned a club that won 9 Champions League titles and 30+ league titles before he arrived, into a winning machine?

Real Madrid had won two league titles in the five years prior to Mourinho's arrival as well.

So if he laid the foundations for Zidane and Ancelotti, does that mean Raineri built the foundations for him at Chelsea? Mancini at Inter? Pellegrini at Real Madrid?

Vanpayslip

No **** his team got worse when he lost his best player. :lol:

It's funny how you're not mentionning that his Liverpool team played attractive football, and not just because of Suarez even though he was amazing.

All Rodgers team have played attractive football.

Putting your best player in the best conditions to perform, like he did for Suarez, or like he's doing right now with his Leicester team is not a thing you can hold against him.
It's a positive thing. :lol:

Yes his last seasons at Liverpool were mediocre, this is what happens when you lose a generetional talent like Suarez that you can't replace, even with all the money in the world. When Sturridge who was amazing couldn't stay healthy. When Gerrard has retired.

And guess what? Even Klopp has struggled at the end ofyour best player makes the team fall apart? Which player would it take for the best team in this league to fall apart? The only two teams that have won either the champions league or the premier league do not rely on a single player. Or we can take it even further back - which player would it have take to have lost for Arsène to not have been an invincible? Or we could look across to our main rivals from that era - did Roy Keane going mean they didn’t win trophies? Or did they not win them after Beckham or Van Nistelroy left or so on and so on. Or may be when Cantona retired?

The point of my post was to highlight how we need to rebuild the team going forward and how we need a manager that is capable of that. I suspect I am wasting my energy. You are probably one of those fans that see nothing beyond the end of your nose. There will only be that option that has happened to have been flavour of the month in the premier league for you.

ps: I never said LFC were playing good football when Klopp arrived. It seems to have gone over your head but the point was that they were playing the SAME football when he arrived. It’s just that once upon a time Jay Rodriguez would have been one of the front three. Now it is Salah, Firminho and Mane. See the point? I suspect not.

Yes his last seasons at Liverpool were mediocre, this is what happens when you lose a generetional talent like Suarez that you can't replace, even with all the money in the world. When Sturridge who was amazing couldn't stay healthy. When Gerrard has retired.

And guess what? Even Klopp has struggled at the end of his Dortmund job.
Staying competitive, at the top, is the hardest thing to do in sports. Your best players can leave and you can't always replace them, injuries happen, sometimes it's hard to keep your players motivated and so on...

Look at Pochettino, his team has been **** for a year in the PL. Does it make him a bum? Of course not.

Coaching is only a small part of the equation. Context matters a lot.

And no, Liverpool weren't playing good football when Klopp has first arrived. There were positive signs, especially against the best PL teams, but there were also a lot of boring games.
He only got better with time.

Which player would it take for the best team in this league to fall apart? The only two teams that have won either the champions league or the premier league in the last 3 seasons do not rely on a single player. Or we can take it even further back - which player would it have take to have lost for Arsène to not have been an invincible? Or we could look across to our main rivals from that era - did Roy Keane going mean they didn’t win trophies? Or did they not win them after Beecham left? Or may be when Cantona retired?

The point of my post was to highlight how we need to rebuild the team going forward and how we need a manager that is capable of that. I suspect I am wasting my energy. You are probably one of those fans that see nothing beyond the end of your nose. There will only be that option that has happened to have been flavour of the month in the premier league for you.

ps: I never said LFC were playing good football when Klopp arrived. It seems to have gone over your head but the point was that they were playing the SAME football when he arrived. It’s just that once upon a time Jay Rodriguez would have been one of the front three. Now it is Salah, Firminho and Mane. See the point? I suspect not.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Vanpayslip

What the hell are you on about? You're saying it's a bad thing to set your team around a player? That worked out so bad for Barcelona and Real Madrid all those years when Messi and Ronaldo were battling for the top of football domination.

That is kind of why it is called a team. Anyway, get back to me after you have referred to a dictionary.

Vanpayslip

Also where does this narrative that Mourinho destroys the squad developement come from?

- The first time he was Chelsea's head coach, he's built the best core of their history around Drogba, Cole, Lampard, Terry, Carvalho. Those same players kept winning even after he left. They were the best team in England alongside Man Utd during the second half of the last decade.
They were his legacy.

- His Inter job was a win now situation. He was hired to win the CL. His squad was full of old players that were near the end of their career, and they wanted to win the CL asap.
So he wasn't into building mode.

- At Madrid, he's built the fundations of the most successful team in the CL.
Before Mourinho got there, they were a banter team in the CL during the past decade and were knocked out by Lyon every single year :lol:
Yes he hasn't won the CL (and he was kinda unlucky), but he's built the fundations Ancelotti & Zidane used to win 4 CL. He's moved Ramos to CB, Varane, Di Maria, Özil, he turned Pepe into a beast. He's brought on Modric.
He's changed the club's culture and turned it into a winning machine.

- Second time at Chelsea he's built the fundations Conte has benefited from to win a title, they were still a competitive team when he left.

- At Man Utd I don't think he's destroyed anything. They were bad before him, and still mediocre after him. They've been terrible as a whole. Woodward is a joke.

So teams do well after Mourinho has left? I don’t remember that at Chelsea - twice!!! The guy is known as having a third season syndrome. Even at United, he said himself that getting to second was one of his greatest achievements ever. The guy after him is left picking up the pieces

Vanpayslip

Why don't you get back to us when you actually make some sense?

What is hard for you to understand? You believe a team is built around one player. That was your rebuttal to my post. I can give you multiple examples of teams that are actually ‘teams’ that achieve success through quality throughout the team. That is what Arsenal need - a focus on rebuilding the squad/team with a manager that focuses on the bigger picture.
Like I said - get back to me when you look up the meaning in the dictionary.

CJJ

Established Member
I have never understood why in the hell the board chose Emery as a replacement for Wenger. Espacially since candidates like Thomas Tuchel, Luis Enrique, Leonardo Jardim, Julian Nagelsmann, Brendan Rodgers or Max Allegri was available.
Nagelsmann? Wasn't even half a thought given to him back then. Unproven hoffenheim manager. Fact of the matter is they did look at some of those, but Emery ended up impressing our board the most. Allegri was supposedly interviewed but no agreement could be made. Hinsight is a great thing, but nobody expected this Emery experiment to end up like this.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Unless Freddie drags us into relegation (I doubt that but we could start the new year in a very uncomfortable position), I believe it would be the best to wait until the summer.

The names thrown around don't instill any hope that they can turn this bunch around.

teamsoutheast

The next manager has alot of work to do. We need another 2-3 windows to fix this IMO. Until we get personnel in our midfield who can tackle and keep the ball under pressure we are looking at a rough ride. I just cannot see any manager coming in and bringing balance to this squad immediately.

Joestlaachmkr

Nagelsmann? Wasn't even half a thought given to him back then. Unproven hoffenheim manager. Fact of the matter is they did look at some of those, but Emery ended up impressing our board the most. Allegri was supposedly interviewed but no agreement could be made. Hinsight is a great thing, but nobody expected this Emery experiment to end up like this.
Nagelsmann`s style is very similar to Klopp`s "gegenpressen" philosophy and Bayern considered appointing Nagelsmann instead of Kovac.

The first thing i thought when Emery was announced as Arsenal manager was what the fcuk? and i knew from day 1 that Emery would not be an improvement from Wenger. Emery won 3 EL titles with Sevilla but he also failed to qualify Sevilla for the CL, and lost a game in the EL group stage against Solskjaer`s Molde and didn`t win a single away game in La Liga during his last season in charge of Sevilla. And take a look at Tuchel`s stats in charge of PSG and compare them to the stats of Emery when he was PSGs manager.. I expected more ambitions from the board in selecting new manager, and i expected someone like Tuchel, Enrique, Allegri or Rodgers to be our next manager. But i have much lower expectations this time, and most likely Freddie will get the job on a permanent basis or we will go for another sacked manager again and appoint someone like Niko Kovac. I fear that we will be closer to relegation than winning titles during the next 5-10 years due to the amateurs who sits at the board.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
What is hard for you to understand? You believe a team is built around one player.
I didn't say that. What I said was that it's not a bad thing when you have an exceptional player like Suarez was for them. You'd have to be stupid to not take advantage of that.

All that aside, Liverpool weren't just one player during Brendan's time there. They had Gerrard, Sterling, Sturridge (when fit) and Coutinho, so what you're saying isn't even accurate.

I also pointed that Barcelona built their team around Messi and Real around Ronaldo, which turned out pretty darn good, if you ask me.
That was my rebuttal to your nonsensical post.

Vanpayslip

I didn't say that. What I said was that it's not a bad thing when you have an exceptional player like Suarez was for them. You'd have to be stupid to not take advantage of that.

All that aside, Liverpool weren't just one player during Brendan's time there. They had Gerrard, Sterling, Sturridge (when fit) and Coutinho, so what you're saying isn't even accurate.

I also pointed that Barcelona built their team around Messi and Real around Ronaldo, which turned out pretty darn good, if you ask me.
That was my rebuttal to your nonsensical post.
LFC had all of those players after Suarez left. How did that end? Doesn’t seem like much of a meaningful rebuttal to me. But carry on anyway....
And the fact that you compare the Barcelona and Real Madrid of that era to a LFC with Suarez in it just about shows your level of argument.
You like Rodgers, I get it. But let’s not re-write history. Your rebuttal was nothing but a poorly written declaration of love for Rodgers. Don’t confuse that with the point I was trying to make.

say yes

forum master baiter
Where did Rodgers rule himself out?

Checked a Leicester forum earlier and they were all in meltdown about his failure to do so..

Reactions: CJJ

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
I wouldn't mind waiting for the summer then going in for Conte, Ten Hag or even Zidane which is a long shot lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom