• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexagon9

EJzcbd-FWw-AAt-U63.jpg
If the money is right, it’s irrelevant. The instigator of a clause retains the right to revoke it.

Loving the third bullet point though.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Ancelotti is my worse dream I think.
Allegri has good CV but whoever watched his team play would have huge concerns on him coming here.
Marcelino never impressed me at all

But I don't agree there aren't much class coaches out there. There's plenty of them, all they need is a chance, and someone to recognize them.

I basically haven't but see people saying this. Can you outline what you mean?

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

You have to love a 'shortlist' of 12 names... How long is the long list? It shouldn't be that we didn't have time to prepare for this. Emery has been struggling for a good 6 months. If the rest of the management team just sat on their hands during that time, would be really poor.

Also, the 'shortlist' contains names of coaches that are totally different in style, philosophy etc. Not sure they have given this much thought at all until now. To me the 'shortlist' is just a list of names that anyone of us could have scribbled down in 15 minutes.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
So we have a list of names ranging from 60 year olds with 20 years experience to 37 year olds with none.

Managers who cant speak a word of English along with managers who probably can only speak English and no other language.

Managers who have won the lot and managers who have won nothing.

Theres no clear specification.

The manager is the most important signing you make. If you were looking a striker you probably would have a list of 3 or 4 you would be after. However we find we have a list of every manager who could remotely be interested in the job and we will end up with the worst.

pacstud

Cannot disagree more with those whining about the “list”. Who was Arsène before Arsenal? You turn over every rock. The next great manager very well could be a nobody. Retreads are retreads for a reason. The best news is that it would seem we are not even contemplating an Ole situation. So that’s good.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
The manager is the most important signing you make. If you were looking a striker you probably would have a list of 3 or 4 you would be after. However we find we have a list of every manager who could remotely be interested in the job and we will end up with the worst.
Its not a manager to any real extent. Just look how many of the back room staff remain now & people like Raul / Edu calling the sporting & personnel decisions above. Its a head coach that most likely will be here for around 18 - 36 months.

Joestlaachmkr

Cannot disagree more with those whining about the “list”. Who was Arsène before Arsenal? You turn over every rock. The next great manager very well could be a nobody. Retreads are retreads for a reason. The best news is that it would seem we are not even contemplating an Ole situation. So that’s good.
Wenger was already a well known manager in Europe but not in England when he arrived at Highbury in 1996, Bayern wanted AW to become their next manager ahead of the 1994-95 Bundesliga season. I dont think we can attract top class managers, they would probably demand to high wage and to much money on transfers which the board can not handle. Luis Enrique and Max Allegri was apparantly deemed too expensive as possible replacements for Wenger. Funny that you take up Man United/Ole since we are now in the exact same position with Freddie.

However, i hope my fellow Gooners dont have too high expectations in who the board are going to select as our next manager. I learned that lesson 18 months ago.

Last edited:

Joestlaachmkr

But we're not. Seems obvious we are not considering Freddie long term. Nor should we.
Well, Solksjaer was also hired as interim boss to begin with. I suspect the board are going to give Freddie the job permanently after he wins a few games. Plus, he is a cheap option which is something Kroenke & co would love.

CanadianGooner1608

Influx of fresh depressing members around, I see.

I hate to wager, but I'll wager Freddie is just what he is touted to be: an interim manager.
I believe this will be valuable experience for him down the line as well and perhaps, just perhaps, he evolves into a great coach in the future for us thanks to it.

I would hope the board is looking at several candidates to replace Emery, not just one or two.

I have no idea who it's going to be, but I hope it's someone we will all back. With the atmosphere in here, I believe some of us would find a way to ***** and moan if we got a Klopp.

As for my preferences:

I hope for an attacking manager with a clear vision. Yes, a unicorn. Rodgers, Poch sound like good shouts. Capable of unifying a team under a project, and get them to play like more than the sum of their parts. They are the exciting options.

Allegri is a serial winner who could organize a defense. For those who criticize Serie A for being a one team competition, fine. 2 CL finals to his name is good enough on its own. As a reminder, we play in the EL. We should be ready to kill for a pedigree like his. At the very least he would stabilize us. At best, he'd galvanize us. He's the safe route.

I would have had no trouble with Santo, as he emits something special. Unproven with a top club (at best, he made Porto even), but I see potential. He's the risky route.

Out of left field, I'd also take a Jardim (Monaco isn't playing well, but it's mostly down to them gutting themselves of their best talents: Bernardo Silva, Moutinho, Fabinho, Mbapé, Sidibé, even Bakayoko, Tielemans to name a few) or a Gallardo.

Conte, Ten Hag and Nagelsmann are my favorite choices but near impossible to get.

We need some good news, hopefully we get them.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I'd really like to hope we go for a decent top manager like Rodgers or Pochettino but unfortunately everyone knows what our board & owners are like, they'll want to save money & just go for the cheap option like Ljungberg if he starts winning games, they might opt for Arteta too, if they do opt for one of those 2 I'll still stand by them & support them. This is when we have to support our team, through this tough patch.

clovis

We had a similar long shortlist post Wenger didn’t we?

the more managers we consider and interview the more we confuse ourselves. The more it is likely that we will make a mistake again..

Pochettino, Rodgers and Arteta. The only three people we need to consider and contact because they cover all basis..

If you want an experienced manager with a proven record and knows the premier league go for Poch and Rodgers.

if you want a young manager who has Arsenal DNA and has worked closely with an elite manager in the premier league then Arteta is the man.

isop

None of them names are inspiring. And how many of them can speak fluent English?

I understand that the mostly leftfield names I put up were not household/well-known names, so not inspiring to most, especially if you have not watched their teams play and/or read about them. But neither was Wenger when he came to Arsenal, or even Pochettino when he came to Southampton.

Pochettino is a manager in demand now, a lot of us really want him. I would like him too, but it’s so unlikely I don’t consider it. How many had heard of him before he came to Southampton? I hadn’t myself.

Thorough scouting can identify potentially good managers. It's always a risk going leftfield, but any manager is a risk, even the most well-known ones are as well.

That being said, I'm not fully aware of their English skills, they were just potential candidates. If they can't speak English or are not fluent, after the Emery language issues I would put them on hold from my personal shortlist until they can do so.

there's some on here who seem to think not speaking English is an asset - where have they been for the past 18 months?

I really like Bielsa. But I don't think he's fluent in English yet; last time I checked he was still using a translator (at least when talking to the media). Also he's got a good project at Leeds, pushing them for promotion, almost got it last season and they are strong contenders again for it this season. I don't think now would be the right time for him to jump ship.

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
the state of us.
We can't even benefit from the new manager bounce effect;

Hello darkness, Hydro's old friend.

We are destined for mediocrity with the current ownership. We talk like a big club, apparently drawing up a list of 12 candidates when it will likely come down to who Raul picks. It's odd as we were linked with Monchi who basically comes into a club and makes signings. We brought in Edu. For what exactly? Is he not the one to determine the type of football we want to play?

Our transfer business and our inability to sack Emery during the international break makes me have very little faith in who we appoint. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in Kovac.

clovis

It baffles me how some people want Freddie over Arteta if they are going for an inexperienced manager with Arsenal roots.

Joestlaachmkr

I'd really like to hope we go for a decent top manager like Rodgers or Pochettino but unfortunately everyone knows what our board & owners are like, they'll want to save money & just go for the cheap option like Ljungberg if he starts winning games, they might opt for Arteta too, if they do opt for one of those 2 I'll still stand by them & support them. This is when we have to support our team, through this tough patch.
Well said, i think we can just forget names like Enrique, Allegri, Ancelotti, Conte, Ten Hag, Simoene, Jardim or Rodgers becoming our next manager. We are simply far too cheap to attract any top class manager, i also think it`s unlikely that the board are willing to payout a contract clause for a manager.

What makes me so fkn mad is the fact that Luis Enrique - and not Emery would have been selected as a successor to Wenger if the the owners & the board had been more competent and more ambitious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom