• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

Again, since Arteta is just as unproven as Freddie it feels pointless going for him. Might as well stick with Freddie then who has at least a bit more knowledge about the squad.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
I don't like this kind of argument. Just because Emery has been a failure at arsenal in England doesn't mean we should dismiss all coaches coming from Spain.

There's much more to it than where they're coming from.

Even in the same league going from a smaller club to a top one is always a risky move. Look at Moyes for instance who was highly rated and even backed by Sir Alex to take his job after his retirement. And we all know how it turned out.
On the other hand Pochettino has succeeded from Southampton to S*urs.

We can't predict how it will turn out.

Different clubs,leagues and situations.We def need some safer option with good managers who already managed club in EPL or some bigger club in Europe.Poch,Rodgers or Allegri are better imo.

CanadianGooner1608

Dude we are in the exact same situation as Monaco...... we are struggling ATM precisely because we let Ramsey/Kos/Monreal/Mkhi/Iwobi leave us and brought poorly in terms of replacements. We need to go through a massive period of rebuilding and we need a manager who can stand up to Raul's incompetence which is why Allegri is attractive.

Fair point, I'm first to admit I'm completely biaised when it comes to Monaco or Jardim . I'd rather an Allegri too, tbf, as I wrote in my post. My point was just that there are plenty of good options out there, and there is reason to be hopeful. Until the board proves us otherwise at least lol.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Again, since Arteta is just as unproven as Freddie it feels pointless going for him. Might as well stick with Freddie then who has at least a bit more knowledge about the squad.
I don't disagree with you on this but for the sake of Devil's advocate I will state that there is more to suggest Arteta has it going on than Freddie. Not much more, but more..
Having said that, a punt in this regard would be a risky punt either way...

clovis

what if Arteta is a top manager in the making but Ljungberg is another Ole? Yes it’s a shot in the dark but my point is that every manager is unproven at some point..

I feel we have a better chance of taking a risk with someone like Arteta instead of settling for another uninspiring choice like Emery

say yes

forum master baiter
Just in case there are a few of you who haven’t yet topped yourself after these Marcelino rumours, here’s the coup de grâce:

isop

Marcelino is just another Emery and Valverde, please no!

Yep, he's a prgamatic manager. Admittedly counter attacks well but sets his team up defensively first. Good manager, but still the wrong appointment for me. I want us to have an attack-minded manager that plays on the front foot first, who can also defend well.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
This is all true, but it's still a risk to see if Marcelino can make the step up to a top club. They need someone proven at the highest level, because for all we know 3rd might be as good as it gets with Marcelino. And if they're going to make a risky appointment it'd be better to go with someone like Arteta because we don't know what his ceiling is. The risk might be greater but so might the potential reward.

How so?
I don't understand the logic behind Arteta's ceiling.

If you look at the history of this game, there's way less assistant who worked with a top coach who made a succesful transition to being number 1 than there are coaches who went from a smaller to a bigger club and were successful in the process.
Even Pep worked with Barça B team and had a successful season. Same goes for Lampard.
Klopp has worked 7 seasons with Mayence before joining Dortmund. Look at how he turned out. Who could have predicted by then that he would be a guy able to win a CL one day or compete with a stacked City team? By the same logic, you wouldn't have given him his chance.

How many SAF assistants were successful at coaching? Wenger? Pep? Tito had a year with a stacked team and then unfortunately we all knew what happened. Giggs was supposed to learn from LVG, a guy that had huge success in his career and he's not made the step yet.
Zidane is an exception, he worked with Ancelotti and took over at Real and won 3 straight CL. He's a unicorn.

I'm not even saying that I'd take Marcelinho over Arteta or he's the right man for the job. I just don't understand the logic behind this opinion.

Just because Steve Bould was Wenger's assistant for years for instance, doesn't mean he can replicate his success or philosophy if he takes over the team.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Well he made back to back top 4 and got into the CL.
It's not just mid table by any metrics.

But sure, dreaming about a guy who's never been in charge as a head coach is a safer bet.

He’s a very average manager. Struggled at Sevilla, then at Villarreal made some baffling decisions, alienated the dressing room and got the sack.

Even at Valencia I wouldn’t argue he did anything amazing, he was backed heavily by ownership in the transfer market.

He’s a decent manager for La Liga but hes going to struggle to come to a new country with a league this competitive and succeed.

This club supposedly wants to get back to challenging for titles, and going deep into the CL. None of that will happen with Marcelino.

clovis

I think when we make our next appointment we should ask ourselves the following question. Does this guy have the capacity to take on Pep and Klopp after 3-4 years?

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
FFS, as if it could not get any worse.
We are piss poor as it seems and nonetheless aren't even going the bold route with a manager like Arteta or Ljungberg after we screwed up with Emery.

If those Marcelino rumors are true it's time to look for a sabatical on Arsenal.

I supported Emery even though I didn't want him, but Marcelino is basically doing the same **** again. We all know the script as to how this is going to end eventually..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom