• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChefMan21

Lee Dixon said the other day that Vieira would be his preferred choice as well. Of course you might argue that Lee is biased because they were teammates, but I don't hear him advocating Thierry Henry. He also might have first-hand experience with what makes Vieira tick and the qualities that might make him a very good coach.

When we played Chelsea in the FA Cup in 2003...we were 2-0 up, then Cygan got sent off...Vieira then started immediately reorganising the team...you go here, you go there, even looked liked he told Arsène to bring on Henry! :lol:

Paddy was a genuine leader...not some listen to me or I scream at you stereotype (he obviously did this too) but looked a tactical leader back in the day, seems a smart man about football.

All the great managers have their big break somewhere, maybe Vieira is destined to have it here...I would be happy to at least try.
Indeed. Just get the right people around him to address his weaknesses, and see him for what qualities he does have. They are unique.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Vieira could well be a good coach, probably a better coach than Henry for example, but we need more than good. We need a bloody prophet, a visionary. I mean i'm sure Freddie is a good coach too, but I don't quite see a visionary in him either.

I think the reason why people do find Arteta interesting is because, although there's no evidence, there's something about him which suggests his mind is a cut above the rest.

I mean he could be a fraud, obviously, but if you're choosing between these former players my gut would go for Arteta.

*Having said that, Vieira's general aura and gravitas is pretty much peerless. Arteta doesn't have that, at least not yet.

LG10

I've always envisioned Vieira as a potential future Arsenal manager. It boggles my mind that some people don't think he has the experience, but want Arteta or to keep Freddie in the job. I guess they think the luster is gone because he hasn't managed New York City or Nice to championships, but they're New York City and Nice.

I get wanting Allegri or Pochettino (although Paddy has actually won more trophies than Poch by virtue of guiding the Manchester City U-23 team to the Premier League International Cup) or Rodgers or any of the bigger names mentioned, but in truth Paddy could end up being the long term answer that none of them would be likely to become. No candidate understands the club, its culture, its fan base and the "Arsenal way" better than Patrick Vieira. And the step up to Arsenal would be the same if they were to hire, say, Eddie Howe.
Don't think people have said his experience is a problem, he just hasn't been very impressive. We need much better than a plucky mid table manager to sort this mess.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I get that, but I think it's a different situation. Arsenal should be in the top 4. Nice will always struggle to get there and came close enough last year that I don't think you can count them out of a run for the top 6 or so anyway. My point was that 2 weeks from now those places between 4th and 14th may have changed significantly with just a couple of wins or losses.

As for Freddie, I think if they were planning on keeping him in charge for an extended period they'd be doing more to give him a longer-term staff. Plus, apparently he can only manage the club for a maximum of 12 weeks since he only has the UEFA A license and not the UEFA Pro.

Yeah, I get that. It's just that the reports on how his season has been going and the tinkering he's done and lack of away wins has me worried the three amigos just want bring in someone who'll get fans off their backs for a while

Freddie has all the badges, btw.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I've always envisioned Vieira as a potential future Arsenal manager. It boggles my mind that some people don't think he has the experience, but want Arteta or to keep Freddie in the job. I guess they think the luster is gone because he hasn't managed New York City or Nice to championships, but they're New York City and Nice.

I get wanting Allegri or Pochettino (although Paddy has actually won more trophies than Poch by virtue of guiding the Manchester City U-23 team to the Premier League International Cup) or Rodgers or any of the bigger names mentioned, but in truth Paddy could end up being the long term answer that none of them would be likely to become. No candidate understands the club, its culture, its fan base and the "Arsenal way" better than Patrick Vieira. And the step up to Arsenal would be the same if they were to hire, say, Eddie Howe.

It's because his team is currently 14th in Ligue 1 and he's on the verge of getting sacked....... he's alright at Nice but he plays boring by the book 4-3-3. Nothing about his performance at Nice suggests he's a special manager, any more so than Ljungberg.

And in any case even if he's doing much better at Nice I would never want him to be our manager. Cause he has very clearly cut his ties with us and it has been a long time since I last heard him say anything good about us, or even care that he's a former gunner.

ChefMan21

Ornstein said last week that he's not really highly rated in football circles and unlikely to get the job.
I remember an interview that George Negus did with Margaret Thatcher, where he said that 'people were saying' certain things about her. She turned on him and asked him to give names and locations of these 'people'. Pushed him on it, kept asking, and he withered away because he couldn't give a single name or location. You can find it on YouTube.

Who exactly are these people in football circles? What are their names? Where do they work? Is it everyone in football circles, or just a few? Did they play with him, did they play against him? Do they want the job for themselves or their friend? What's their interest in him not getting the job? Protecting the club? Wanting to hurt the club? Money?

I really don't like when journos use unnamed sources, because you never know if they are real or what the journo (or the sources) are getting out of it...

lufere7

Player:Martinelli
Right now I think this is where I'm at:

Tier 1 (Impossible tier)
Ten hag
Nagelsman
Rose
Freddie as interim if it leads to any of the first 3 in the summer
Poch

Tier 2
Rodgers
Arteta
Allegri

Tier 3
Nuno
Ancelotti
Vieira

Tier 4
Benitez
Marcelino
Almost everyone else mentioned

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Don't think Paddy would enjoy it much here with the weasels that we have in our squad. With a small budget to work with and an uber competitive league, it could be a nightmare return.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
People who think Pochettino is coming to Arsenal are deluded. Do you want Daniel Levy's phone number so he can tell you himself?

As for talking about hiring a great manager to solve the deep problem we are in... it's not the manager who has the power to solve this. It's the owner. By leaving.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

People who think Pochettino is coming to Arsenal are deluded. Do you want Daniel Levy's phone number so he can tell you himself?

As for talking about hiring a great manager to solve the deep problem we are in... it's not the manager who has the power to solve this. It's the owner. By leaving.

Spoke to Levy this morning actually. Very rattled.

Ranted about his baldness and something about a cheese room.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
It's because his team is currently 14th in Ligue 1 and he's on the verge of getting sacked....... he's alright at Nice but he plays boring by the book 4-3-3. Nothing about his performance at Nice suggests he's a special manager, any more so than Ljungberg.

And in any case even if he's doing much better at Nice I would never want him to be our manager. Cause he has very clearly cut his ties with us and it has been a long time since I last heard him say anything good about us, or even care that he's a former gunner.

Haven't seen a thing about Vieira being in danger of the sack. From everything I've read (including the local Nice paper), he has impressed with the job he's done. He's just managing at a club that has put few resources into players.

Also, Vieira always speaks well of Arsenal. He may not talk about Arsenal all the time like some former players, but he's a manager trying to do a job with other clubs. Just in October of this year he said managing Arsenal would be a "dream job" for him.

I think it's telling that so many former Arsenal players have expressed support for the idea of him becoming the manager. Again, he may not be the best choice (he wouldn't be my first choice of those mentioned), but Arsenal could do worse.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Haven't seen a thing about Vieira being in danger of the sack. From everything I've read (including the local Nice paper), he has impressed with the job he's done. He's just managing at a club that has put few resources into players.

Also, Vieira always speaks well of Arsenal. He may not talk about Arsenal all the time like some former players, but he's a manager trying to do a job with other clubs. Just in October of this year he said managing Arsenal would be a "dream job" for him.

I think it's telling that so many former Arsenal players have expressed support for the idea of him becoming the manager. Again, he may not be the best choice (he wouldn't be my first choice of those mentioned), but Arsenal could do worse.

Bit worrying.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Just watching the Sheffield Utd Newcastle game, Chris Wilders team really do play some lovely stuff. Considering he's done it with such little resoruces is unbelieveable.

Would seriously consider him for manager.

Joestlaachmkr

He is smart... he knows he would have the money to get player ... here otherwise...he would be stuck with Xhaka and Douzy
You have a point, i think the fact that we probably are the chepeast of all the top clubs in the world might make top class managers turn down Arsenal. But it sounds very weird to me if Allegri turned down Arsenal cause he`s waiting for a call from Man Utd, they have not sacked Ole and it doesn`t seems like they plan to do that anywhere in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom