• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Does anyone know enough about Kovac to deem him a bad coach? Ofc not.
His work at Frankfurt seems quite impressive, and I just came across this post in the Life After Wenger thread wrt Kovac:
Someone to seriously look out for is Niko Kovac. Doing a tremendous job at Eintracht Frankfurt.

Kept them in the Bundesliga in his first season, then took them to 11th, then 6th last season; right now they sit in 6th again. Took Frankfurt to the german cup final last season, now they're in the semi finals again.

He's got iternational experience having coached in Austria and the croatian national team.

Frankfurt are tactically well drilled, he instills commitment and drive in his players, but they're not a simple "fight and kick it high" team; still very reactive and focused on transitioning and counter attacking. Kovac is a clever tactician, always adjusting his team to the opponent.
Only dark spot is his how he would fare with a team that's ought to play a more open, active style of football.

personality wise he's a tough balkan guy, but quite eloquent and very gentlemanlike. Won the DFB fair play trophy in 2016 for his gestures towards Nuremburg fans when Frankfurt beat them in relegation.

Oh, and right now he's apparently the frontrunner as future Bayern manager, should Heynckes really step down this summer. If Arsenal are going for a Bundesliga/german manager, I'd much rather have him than Nagelsmann, Tuchel or Loew.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Untitled.jpg

Meulensteen and Paul Clement both aaidnthe same things iirc.

Hopefully Arteta isn’t at that level of delusional :lol:

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
His work at Frankfurt seems quite impressive, and I just came across this post in the Life After Wenger thread wrt Kovac:

The man is handsome af as well, think he looks a lot like Gordon-Levitt. The ladies would storm to the emirates, i hear from good sauces.

Reactions: A_G

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
can't afford him, doesn't speak a word of English

next

What is it with this English thing?

Poch didn't speak a word of the language either for the first few years he managed Sp**s. Plenty of managers don't speak the language of the country where they manage.

It isn't as big of a deal as the media is making it out to be for two reasons.

1. Translators exist

2. Has it dawned on you that we have players in our squad who also don't speak a word of English? Antonio Valencia was captain of Man Utd, lived in England for 10+ years and can barely string a sentence together. A club will be made up of players from different places all with different mother tongues. Bale barely speaks Spanish, Zidane doesn't know much English and they can't stand each other. Yet Bale manages to go out there and play. The language barrier isn't an issue there. I could be wrong, but I doubt David Luiz speaks French fluently.

What would happen in the absence of a translator, a senior player who is bilingual would translate the coach's message to the younger players who don't speak the language.

I don't get why we're making this English thing a bigger deal than it needs to be. You would think all of our players were from Highbury Park and never studied a foreign language.

Yes but the simple point is that you don’t know if they’ve improved the squad or not because it’s way too soon to definitively judge three relatively young players.

I think some of the squad construction was very suspect but calling all the incoming players flops is way too excessive.

I'm saying it was overall bad transfer window. The players haven't contribute anything this season. We needed to build squad for this season, balance between experience and youth, balance between seasoned players and huge talents and I think we failed to do that for this season.

I'm not saying the players are flops although I'm willing to bet my house on Pepe being the next Bebe. I'm just saying its bad transfer window. Hopefully Raul will be sacked and we can do better next summer!

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I'm saying it was overall bad transfer window. The players haven't contribute anything this season. We needed to build squad for this season, balance between experience and youth, balance between seasoned players and huge talents and I think we failed to do that for this season.

I'm not saying the players are flops although I'm willing to bet my house on Pepe being the next Bebe. I'm just saying its bad transfer window. Hopefully Raul will be sacked and we can do better next summer!

The whole team has underperformed at the strings of an underwhelming manager, don't see the point in singling out the newcomers

ChefMan21

Making assumptions again - you say you cannot infer anything on a new experienced man based on Emery's work as everyone stands for himself, which is correct, but also applies to INexperienced ones.
And as it stands there's still 0 knowledge in advance as to what the outcome for any manager, no matter whether proven or not, is to be seen.

If any, a less proven manager might showcase more hunger and hard work than those experienced solutions out there.

You are doing the reverse, you are saying Arteta isn't up for the task on his own. Nobody knows.

Adding great people around you to support you is obviously helping all the time. That's totally independent of what manager is to arrive.
You could see very good people coming with Arteta also, maybe even Alonso for a short period ..

Think it's unfair to judge Arteta in either direction. He might be a unicorn or a donkey, but it will take at the very least the rest of the season to see.

You can judge the board and management because we've seen them failing for a very long time.
Same argument applies to an experienced manager - they can be judged as a potential candidate based on their successes and failings, because they have a history. Arteta has none, and so you have to take people's word about him. I know he's been spoken of highly - I'm certainly not against his appointment with the right people around him - but Pep's hardly going to come out publically and criticise him, is he? It's also great that he's worked with Pep, but Obama's speechwriters are not Obama, if you know what I mean...

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Poch didn't speak a word of the language either for the first few years he managed Sp**s. Plenty of managers don't speak the language of the country where they manage.

1. Translators exist

2. Has it dawned on you that we have players in our squad who also don't speak a word of English? Antonio Valencia was captain of Man Utd, lived in England for 10+ years and can barely string a sentence together. A club will be made up of players from different places all with different mother tongues. Bale barely speaks Spanish, Zidane doesn't know much English and they can't stand each other. Yet Bale manages to go out there and play. The language barrier isn't an issue there.

Bielsa still uses interpreters but he’s clearly a great motivator.

Emery was just a dreadful communicator, regardless of whether he spoke English.

GDeep™

League is very weak

1. Translators exist

2. Has it dawned on you that we have players in our squad who also don't speak a word of English? Antonio Valencia was captain of Man Utd, lived in England for 10+ years and can barely string a sentence together. A club will be made up of players from different places all with different mother tongues. Bale barely speaks Spanish, Zidane doesn't know much English and they can't stand each other. Yet Bale manages to go out there and play. The language barrier isn't an issue there.

Potch did speak English, at Southampton and Sp**s. He just didn’t speak to the media to avoid questions. Behind the scenes, with players he spoke English.

Listening to people like Puel and Neville, they both say not being able to speak in the language of the country really hampered them. Rumours that a lot of the problems Emery had stemmed from poor communication.

A translator is not effective in training or dressing rooms, a 20 second sentence will take 1 minute to translate.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Potch did speak English, at Southampton and Sp**s. He just didn’t speak to the media to avoid questions. Behind the scenes, with players he spoke English.

Listening to people like Puel and Neville, they both say not being able to speak in the language of the country really hampered them. Rumours that a lot of the problems Emery had stemmed from poor communication.

A translator is not effective in training or dressing rooms, a 20 second sentence will take 1 minute to translate.

I think being a **** manager is what hampered Gary Neville.

Oh, didn't know that about Poch, thanks for the correction.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

using a translator must necessarily create a distance between coach and players, prevents any social interaction and must mean the coach seeks out anyone who speaks his language rather than the people he needs to be interacting with

I also have this vision of a Simeone running up and down the touchline shouting his head off and trailed by a translator

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

All things being equal, I want a certain distance to exist between the coach & players. Respect is a given bur they're not meant to be friends. It's a superior-subordinate dynamic.

That was one of Wenger's pitfalls in his latter years. So many of the players spoke of him as a "Father figure" which, due to the lack of distance in that working relationship, allowed them to become complacent & sometimes phone in their performances without fear of reprecussions as they knew Wenger was too lenient to read them the riot act.

We need a hardarse, someone who can command respect/give it & be firm but fair.

Such candidates, sadly, are in short supply & thus we must avail ourselves of the refuse that remains untouched.

GDeep™

League is very weak
That was one of Wenger's pitfalls in his latter years. So many of the players spoke of him as a "Father figure" which, due to the lack of distance in that working relationship, allowed them to become complacent & sometimes phone in their performances without fear of reprecussions as they knew Wenger was too lenient to read them the riot act.

Can’t say I saw this. In terms of Wenger and the players our biggest issue was Wenger showing too much faith in the potential of many.

In 20 years I’m not sure I can say I saw players not try, or go hiding under Wenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom