• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Marcelino is a tidy enough manager in Spain but his CV doesn’t exactly jump at you for a reason.

He’s got a fair few misses on there asides from the decent job he did at Valencia.

I do also feel he got very lucky there as well, had some of the best Spanish talent in years in Soler and Torres come through the system when he was there.

Also Lim backed him during his time there with a bigger net spend than anyone except for Real and Barcelona.

He might have got them CL last year but that was also very jammy. Played some very uninspiring football drawing more games than they won, and would have finished well off the pace.

Both Alaves and Getafe were ahead in the final months but they hit a wall with their comparatively tiny squad depth and Getafe were ultimately pipped on the final day.

Sevilla also should have sewn up top four handily but went winless for the final three games including losses to Leganes and Girona and bottled it.

So yes in theory you can point to him getting top four with Valencia but again they drew more than they won, needed three ridiculous rival collapses to pull it off despite spending big with some extremely talented players in the squad.
I think they were really unlucky with finishing when they were getting the draws at the start of the season, xG stats say they scored 10 less goals than they created, and overall they had 4th best attack and 2nd best defense (only behind Atletico) in the league.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
:lol:

But, yeah, Potch/Arteta or that’s me done.

Will always have Arsenal close to my heart, but if this mess continues for another few years destroying everything Wenger has build here, I will probably distance myself from football for some time as well.

Life is too short and too beautiful to let this crappy ****show drag you down constantly.
Give me something that at least creates hope for the future from which I can feed my soul to make me hang on..

Not with Kovac, not with Marcelino, that's for sure.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Interesting article, Sid Lowe is a decent journliast who knows La Liga very well.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...no-valencia-la-liga-spanish-football-sid-lowe

Yeah like Lowe says, they had a top to bottom reshaping of the club after the disastrous Nuno and Neville eras.

They got a lot better in the transfer market and with arguably the best academy in Spain they were always going to be competitive, Marcelino played a part but placing their turn around on his shoulders is very undeserved.

For me he did a good job first season, not enough to warrant getting a huge job like Arsenal but still he did well.

When this article was written it was when things were very rosy. The next year as I said above the performances fell away quite alarmingly and was very lucky with the way things turned out.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Yeah like Lowe says, they had a top to bottom reshaping of the club after the disastrous Nuno and Neville eras.

They got a lot better in the transfer market and with arguably the best academy in Spain they were always going to be competitive, Marcelino played a part but placing their turn around on his shoulders is very undeserved.

For me he did a good job first season, not enough to warrant getting a huge job like Arsenal but still he did well.

When this article was written it was when things were very rosy. The next year as I said above the performances fell away quite alarmingly and was very lucky with the way things turned out.

One could've written a similar article about Emery last year when having that massive unbeaten run :lol:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I'm probably being unfair on the guy cos I know f*ck all about him, but Marcelino kinda just feels like another Emery. I'm sure he's a good coach, but does he fit the club? Does he command the respect of the players?

Feels like someone Watford would hire if they were feeling fancy.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

yes his 2nd season was not good too many draws the home performance was bad ended up with just 61 points but end up qualify to CL.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think they were really unlucky with finishing when they were getting the draws at the start of the season, xG stats say they scored 10 less goals than they created, and overall they had 4th best attack and 2nd best defense (only behind Atletico) in the league.

I do think that was partly on him as well, as he kept persisting with Rodrigo up front the entire season despite him only scoring twice before the winter break or something mental.

He had Batshuayi in the squad but didn’t give him a chance at all which was baffling considering how in form he was after a great spell at Dortmund and a decent World Cup.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Will always have Arsenal close to my heart, but if this mess continues for another few years destroying everything Wenger has build here, I will probably distance myself from football for some time as well.

Life is too short and too beautiful to let this crappy ****show drag you down constantly.
Give me something that at least creates hope for the future from which I can feed my soul to make me hang on..

Not with Kovac, not with Marcelino, that's for sure.
I genuinely have other interests I want to explore. Been crazy about football since I was a kid, been like a religion to me until recent years, but my interest is seriously dwindling now.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Has anyone got any insight into Marcelinio or are we just assuming its Emery mk2

Their managerial paths seem remarkably similar. Both gained their first recognition by getting their teams promoted from the 2nd tier. Both have managed Sevilla and Valencia (let's hope we don't become the 3rd club to be graced by both). Both initial reputation was build by over achieving at smaller clubs. In Emery's case it was Sevilla. Marcelino it was with Villarreal. Which imo is his best work, he got Villarreal promoted to the top flight then finished 6,6 and 4th in the next three seasons.

However unlike Emery who won 3 Europa League titles Marcelino didn't win anything until last season when he won the Copa del Rey. He also would have same issue trying to communicate to our players. During his playing career or as a manager he also never left Spain.

It doesn't help his Valancia team came up against us last season in the EL. They looked clueless and Emery schooled him, beating him 7-3 on aggregate. There is really nothing remarkable about his career to suggest he could handle a big job like the Arsenal job.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm probably being unfair on the guy cos I know f*ck all about him, but Marcelino kinda just feels like another Emery. I'm sure he's a good coach, but does he fit the club? Does he command the respect of the players?

Feels like someone Watford would hire if they were feeling fancy.
Hes not really like Emery. Better defensively, has an actual high press and doesn't chop-and-change his in game tactics every 5 mins.

Not my choice personally but I'd have probably gone for Marcelino first before Emery. Think that window is long gone though.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
He's a pragmatic manager, who has a clear system/formation (4-4-2), and he implements the system at his clubs quite fast (not the Conte level fast, but still). He's well known for his demanding training sessions, iirc one player put in a transfer request after a pre-season with him.

Don't think he'd be a good manager for Arsenal though.
Start packing Mesut

Hexagon9

I genuinely have other interests I want to explore. Been crazy about football since I was a kid, been like a religion to me until recent years, but my interest is seriously dwindling now.
Yep, both rugby codes are proper sports, and anything that’s like a religion can’t be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom