• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why does it matter what Pochettino has won? We need someone that has experience building a competitive squad not a serial winner.

It’s not as if we got Allegri, Mourinho or Ancelotti in tomorrow we’d be challenging next season.

Joestlaachmkr

It still annoys me as **** that the board didn`t go for either Enrique, Allegri or Rodgers as a replacement for Wenger in 2018, we could very well have been title contenders this season if any of those three candidates were in his second season as AFC season.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Hes not really like Emery. .

This is true. People lazily think that because he's Spanish and coached clubs that aren't Real Madrid or Barcelona, that he must be just like Emery. But his system and style are pretty much the opposite of Emery, truth be known. He's a 4-4-2 guy (I posted some videos about his tactics earlier if anyone wants to see them).

Marcelino is down the pecking order of my own preferences and I don't even know if he speaks English with any proficiency, but he is a very good coach and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Honestly, i dont get the hype surrounding Poch. Sure, he did a decent job for Sp**s but he has never won a single trophy in his managerial carreer and nobody talked about him when he was at Soton or Espanyol. Overrated manager in my opininon.

Maybe the reason he's never won a trophy is because he's coached Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham. Those clubs don't really win trophies. And in reality he drew a lot of praise for the jobs he did at Southampton and Espanyol. You just weren't paying attention because it was Southampton and Espanyol.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
This is true. People lazily think that because he's Spanish and coached clubs that aren't Real Madrid or Barcelona, that he must be just like Emery. But his system and style are pretty much the opposite of Emery, truth be known. He's a 4-4-2 guy (I posted some videos about his tactics earlier if anyone wants to see them).

Marcelino is down the pecking order of my own preferences and I don't even know if he speaks English with any proficiency, but he is a very good coach and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Think what is needed is someone who can permeate the club with his ideas. Marcelino and Emery are not really the type to get buy in out of a squad and the higher ups.

Potch kind of is.

In the end, the club needs to make a choice and see it through. If we want to bin Özil, actually do it. Don't let it fester for half a season and bring him in when it hits the fan.

Edu and Raul need to actually work towards building a squad, rather than buying individuals. Want to go the young route? Sure.

Want to go stop gap again? Do it, but get the pieces to complete the puzzle, not this mish-mash of a squad we have right now.

Someone needs to take an active leadership role at the club. My main fear is that Raul will appoint someone like Marcelino and hide behind the appointment, instead of putting a project in the table and seeing it through.

Joestlaachmkr

Maybe the reason he's never won a trophy is because he's coached Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham. Those clubs don't really win trophies. And in reality he drew a lot of praise for the jobs he did at Southampton and Espanyol. You just weren't paying attention because it was Southampton and Espanyol.
He did a decent a job of course, but i wouldn`t say poch did anything extraordinary given the circumstances at either Espanyol or at Southampton. I`m more impressed by the job Howe has done at Bournemouth or what Nuno has done with Wolves and the work Wilder has done with Sheffield Utd than what i am of the job Poch did with Soton.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Ppl were talking about him at both teams. Thats how he ended up at Tottenham
Real Madrid even considered hiring him while he was at Espanyol.

I remember myself and others posting on here about Potch when he was in Spain. I used to watch a little La Liga back then.

Joestlaachmkr

Real Madrid even considered hiring him while he was at Espanyol.
When did Madrid consider Poch when he was at Espanyol? Ancelotti signed a contract to take over after Mourinho for the 2013-14 season at the autumn of 2013. I`m not claiming you are wrong, but i never heard any rumours about Madrid wanting Poch at the time.

Last edited:

isop

He did a decent a job of course, but i wouldn`t say poch did anything extraordinary given the circumstances at either Espanyol or at Southampton.

I heard that he did well at Espanyol despite the circumstances, but don't know too much about it. But at Southampton and Sp**s, he did very well. I think you're actually underrating him.

He got Southampton an eighth-placed finish, their highest since 2003, and their most points since 1993. He played really good football, using a modern pressing system and developing players well, so much that they got the attention of bigger clubs, with Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Lambert, Schneiderlin, Clyne all eventually being signed by bigger clubs.

He reached the league cup final in his first season with Sp**s, challenged for the title twice, 2 seasons I think his team had both the best attacking and best defensive record in the league. A manager who is very good at both is notable, to be able to play great attacking football and be really well organized defensively.

They should have really won the league in the Leicester season, but just imploded in the last few games, which ironically also allowed us to finish 2nd even though we didn’t really deserve to; Sp**s’ heads had gone down and we took advantage, because we had exited the title race earlier. The next season, it was his Sp**s that prevented Chelsea from running away with the league - they kept it a competitive 2 horse race until the final few games; otherwise it would have just been a procession the whole season for Conte and Chelsea.

He also reached the fa cup semi final, I think another league cup semi as well and turned Sp**s into a regular top four CL team, and reached the CL final. He was unfortunate not to win at least one trophy at Sp**s, as he deserved to imo.

In the end his time naturally came to an end there, with a number of players outgrowing Sp**s and wanting to leave (rose, alderweireld, eriksen, perhaps vertonghen), so not all on the same page, and Sp**s were unable to sell them and get replacements. Plus after five years the team and him needed a new voice and he needed a fresh challenge.

He's a very good manager, and has put the work in to the degree that he deserves to step up to a big club and budget where he will undoubtedly win trophies. He would be my first choice if I genuinely believed he was interested, but I doubt he is.

Last edited:

Wryer

I just want someone who understands the essence of English football - tempo, desire, personality.

Tactics are important, but without those qualities first and foremost - you fail.

Joestlaachmkr

I heard that he did well at Espanyol despite the circumstances, but don't know too much about it. But at Southampton and Sp**s, he did very well. I think you're actually underrating him.

He got Southampton an eighth-placed finish, their highest since 2003, and their most points since 1993. He played really good football, using a modern pressing system and developing players well, so much that they got the attention of bigger clubs, with Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Lambert, Schneiderlin, Clyne all eventually being signed by bigger clubs.

He reached the league cup final in his first season with Sp**s, challenged for the title twice, 2 seasons I think his team had both the best attacking and best defensive record in the league. A manager who is very good at both is notable, to be able to play great attacking football and be really well organized defensively.

They should have really won the league in the Leicester season, but just imploded in the last few games, which ironically also allowed us to finish 2nd even though we didn’t really deserve to; Sp**s’ heads had gone down and we took advantage, because we had exited the title race earlier. The next season, it was his Sp**s that prevented Chelsea from running away with the league - they kept it a competitive 2 horse race until the final few games; otherwise it would have just been a procession the whole season for Conte and Chelsea.

He also reached the fa cup semi final, I think another league cup semi as well and turned Sp**s into a regular top four CL team, and reached the CL final. He was unfortunate not to win at least one trophy at Sp**s, as he deserved to imo.

In the end his time naturally came to an end there, with a number of players outgrowing Sp**s and wanting to leave (rose, alderweireld, eriksen, perhaps vertonghen), so not all on the same page, and Sp**s were unable to sell them and get replacements. Plus after five years the team and him needed a new voice and he needed a fresh challenge.

He's a very good manager, and has put the work in to the degree that he deserves to step up to a big club and budget where he will undoubtedly win trophies. He would be my first choice if I genuinely believed he was interested, but I doubt he is.
Pochettino did quite well with Espanyol but he did not do any better than what most trainers of mid/bottle table teams in La Liga did, he also got sacked by Espanyol.

Poch is a great manager of course, but he never not won a single trophy as manager and we can all argue this and that why he has not.

Generally speaking i think Poch is overrated, people talk about him like he is in the league as Pep, Klopp, Allegri, Simeone etc. But in my opinion are Emery a better comparision to Poch.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
He did a decent a job of course, but i wouldn`t say poch did anything extraordinary given the circumstances at either Espanyol or at Southampton. I`m more impressed by the job Howe has done at Bournemouth or what Nuno has done with Wolves and the work Wilder has done with Sheffield Utd than what i am of the job Poch did with Soton.

You can't just look at the league table. You have to dig a little deeper. At Espanyol. Pochettino was a new manager (aside from a brief spell with the club's women's team) working with virtually no budget and taking over a club that was languishing in the relegation zone. He kept the club up, then took them to 11th place the following year and 8th the season after that -- still with little in the way to work with, budget-wise. He was successful there because he has the ability to implement a vision and he's very demanding of his players. He's also very good at working with young players (which would serve him very well at Arsenal).

Similarly, he took over newly-promoted Southampton mid-season and kept them up, then guided them to 8th place -- their best-ever Premier League finish -- in his only full season. He laid the foundation that has kept Southampton in the Premier League ever since. And he turned Sp**s into a Top 4 club and Champions League finalist on a very limited budget (nothing spent the previous two windows).

I'm a fan of Nuno, but he's enjoyed a bigger budget than Pochettino had to work with at Sp**s (Wolves have spent almost £190 million over the past two years). His career is not without its blemishes either. His first season at Valencia was a big success, but when he resigned he left a mess that wasn't cleaned up until Marcelino was hired.

There are so many things that must be taken into consideration and just because a manager is a good fit at one club doesn't necessarily mean he will be a good fit at another. All have their successes and failures. But Pochettino has shown qualities that I believe would serve Arsenal well. I think it would be good for him as well because he would have a plethora of young talent to develop, while also having a much larger budget than he's ever had before.

Joestlaachmkr

The Athletic reports that Marcelino are approaching a deal of becoming Everton`s new manager (thank god), now let us just hope the board stays away from names like Kovac, Arteta and Paddy.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Poch is a great manager of course, but he never not won a single trophy as manager and we can all argue this and that why he has not.

I don't understand this argument. Surely the context matters?

Getting to a CL final with Tottenham is a managerial achievement far above winning a domestic cup, as is cementing them as a top 4 side. I don't see anyone rating Poch at the same level as Klopp either, but Klopp is in a league of his own imo.

Poch had a similar win percentage at Tottenham as Wenger did at Arsenal. Considering their stature, that is really impressive. His overall resume obviously isn't as impressive as the absolute top, but you could argue he hasn't been given the chance to build it. The guy is 47 and has never managed a proper top club with the resources that come with it.

He's clearly pretty high in the list of candidates you'd consider giving a go with proper spending behind him, something he's never really had.

Joestlaachmkr

You can't just look at the league table. You have to dig a little deeper. At Espanyol. Pochettino was a new manager (aside from a brief spell with the club's women's team) working with virtually no budget and taking over a club that was languishing in the relegation zone. He kept the club up, then took them to 11th place the following year and 8th the season after that -- still with little in the way to work with, budget-wise. He was successful there because he has the ability to implement a vision and he's very demanding of his players. He's also very good at working with young players (which would serve him very well at Arsenal).

Similarly, he took over newly-promoted Southampton mid-season and kept them up, then guided them to 8th place -- their best-ever Premier League finish -- in his only full season. He laid the foundation that has kept Southampton in the Premier League ever since. And he turned Sp**s into a Top 4 club and Champions League finalist on a very limited budget (nothing spent the previous two windows).

I'm a fan of Nuno, but he's enjoyed a bigger budget than Pochettino had to work with at Sp**s (Wolves have spent almost £190 million over the past two years). His career is not without its blemishes either. His first season at Valencia was a big success, but when he resigned he left a mess that wasn't cleaned up until Marcelino was hired.

There are so many things that must be taken into consideration and just because a manager is a good fit at one club doesn't necessarily mean he will be a good fit at another. All have their successes and failures. But Pochettino has shown qualities that I believe would serve Arsenal well. I think it would be good for him as well because he would have a plethora of young talent to develop, while also having a much larger budget than he's ever had before.
I know, i know, i know. But point is, most people rate Poch as if he is on the same level as Pep or Klopp. Personally, i dont want Poch to become our next manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom