• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
think he'll go into turkish politics when he's done ala shevchenko.

regarding the club's lack of stance on the issue, i'm with eastender on this. a football club has no business telling people how to feel about a political issue, especially one for which the club probably has a superficial understanding at best.

not everyone is qualified to give an opinion on every issue. if a global organization is going to take a stance on something like this, it is only ethical that they invest a lot of time into developing a stance that reflects all sides of the story. something that appears simple to you based on a 5-minute google search may seem very different to someone living through the situation.

that's why it is not hypocritical for a club to promote a general principle of behavior (e.g. say no to racism) while also staying out of a specific situation that may appear to involve said behavior.
This. The club has no business speaking about an issue as contentious as this. There are multiple sides to the story and it's wise to stay silent on this till the truth is known.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
That might be too much to ask, but I don't think it's too much to ask for them to say nothing. Doing what they did IS a political stance, moreso than just staying the F out of Özil's business.

Exactly. They did not feel the need to come out and distance themselves when Bellerin said #****Boris, but here they just couldn’t stay silent...

Manberg

Predator
They don’t want to lose that China market. Can’t agree with the club’s actions. Either stand up for what’s right or say nothing. Don’t stand for a racist regime.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
This is the NBA/Hong Kong situation all over again. They’ll probably stop broadcasting Arsenal games like they did with the Houston Rockets

Chaoz_Enigma

They don’t want to lose that China market. Can’t agree with the club’s actions. Either stand up for what’s right or say nothing. Don’t stand for a racist regime.
I dont think arsenal is standing for china. They just need to enforce that they are neutral which imo is not wrong at all as it reduces negative impact on their chinese market. I think what they did is fair. And what Özil said out is also his freedom of speech. I see nothing wrong with both. At the end of the day all we care about is performance of football improve against city this sunday.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Arsenal should just stick to football and its development. I am actually in support that Arsenal distance itself away from any more drama. Not that I am unempathatic to the mentioned problem but AFC should stay away from any comments on politics or religion. Keep football simple. Players can voice out their opinions on things outside football but never should it represent the club. Keep Arsenal neutral!

Football is a part of society and cannot be neutral. And you cannot have campaigns against homophobia, for equality etc. and then distance yourself from certain other problems. Football players are idols and symbols just as clubs are for society and they hold societal responsibility you cannot deny or shift. Sport - any sport not just football - has to finally acknowledge and shoulder its societal responsibility and influence. You can't just always take the easy positives like run a campaign for inclusion, football and sport need to learn to take a stand with hard issues, too.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Football is a part of society and cannot be neutral. And you cannot have campaigns against homophobia, for equality etc. and then distance yourself from certain other problems. Football players are idols and symbols just as clubs are for society and they hold societal responsibility you cannot deny or shift. Sport - any sport not just football - has to finally acknowledge and shoulder its societal responsibility and influence. You can't just always take the easy positives like run a campaign for inclusion, football and sport need to learn to take a stand with hard issues, too.
Agree and disagree.
In ideal world yeah, players and clubs can and should help the society with their influence, but then again, in such society where the plot is lost and most good ideas easily turn to a problem I wonder if it really would be the best for everyone to just concentrate on their teritory and not get involved in other areas.
Sorry if I didnt follow the whole conversation, just found that post interesting, something I like to think about in general

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
That might be too much to ask, but I don't think it's too much to ask for them to say nothing. Doing what they did IS a political stance, moreso than just staying the F out of Özil's business.
Interesting point...

'Too much to ask' would probably be the wrong way to put it. They should absolutely steer well clear of the issue to at the very least remain consistent with the clubs protocol of avoiding political issues. They do this not only because it protects their assets, but for the safety of fans in the stadium.

In these times particularly, for a huge football club to get involved in political issues would be foolish and reckless, and as someone who goes to the odd game, I feel safer knowing they stick to football matters.

This is a football club. You leave politics at door on the way in, thank you very much.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
But why not? It's one of the things that's ****ing wrong right now, everybody from individuals to especially companies and countries "trying to protect their assets" and brand value, denying their social impact, influence and reach while completely forgetting about humanistic and moral values, and it's wrong on every end of the spectrum.
I hear you, and in a ideal world we'd be able to try and make a difference without the risk of the stadium or club coming under attack, but this is the world we live. To think we could safely go around sticking our oar in various political squabbles with good intentions, is quite naive.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
If you cannot lend your support to what is obviously a persecuted minority, then at least not make it worse by showcasing your commercial interests to all and sundry.
The club moved to distance itself from Ozils stance, because Özil, a very famous Arsenal player with clout, made a statement and put them in a position.

I'm sure they'd have loved to have remained quiet, but silence may have been seen as supporting his statement.

Seriously can't believe people are putting on the blinkers here... We've all got a problem with the way the club is run, but it doesn't mean we have to let that taint your opinion on absolutely everything :lol:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The club moved to distance itself from Ozils stance, because Özil, a very famous Arsenal player with clout, made a statement and put them in a position.

I'm sure they'd have loved to have remained quiet, but silence may have been seen as supporting his statement.

Seriously can't believe people are putting on the blinkers here... We've all got a problem with the way the club is run, but it doesn't mean we have to let that taint your opinion on absolutely everything :lol:

Well, we just have to agree to disagree. I think the club should have remained completely silent on this issue.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I assume the players have nothing in their contracts covering their social media at the mo... might in the future though. :lol:

Seen with the NBA a few months back how it can kick off with China. I was surprised the Hector #****Boris tweet was still up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom