• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimT

No team, not even Fenerbahce can afford Mesut Özil even though Fenerbahce is a big spender similar to Manchester City and United. The big three clubs are the largest spenders but they have been under intense scrutiny from the UEFA Club Financial Control Body for some years. UEFA threatened to ban them from the UEFA competitions (I think Fenerbahce was already banned a year, a reduced penalty from 3 years, some years back), but they made a deal to fix their finances. Their debts are almost three times their revenues.

The Turkish Super League is bankrupt. If it wasn't for the political party that is in power (President Erdogan is an official member of Fenerbahce FC), the Turkish league would have been shut down by now but the big three took the government hostage because they have a large group of supporters. Their debts have been restructured, and then, restructured again. President Erdogan's party bails them out, erasing their tax debt to the state and then provides interest free loans and etc. Pretty much, the 3/5 th of Turkish people support one of the big three clubs whether they are football fans or not. The club owners and their ties to the media would turn the masses against the government. Majority of people are ignorant about it because no one would inform the public without a backlash. The richest families have ties to the media and the football clubs.

Having said that, if Fenerbahce was to transfer Mesut Özil, Arsenal still would need to pay some portion of his salary and it had to be on free transfer like Istanbul Basaksehir did with Barcelona to sign Arda Turan. No transfer fee but if there was a club interested in the player Barcelona would have been able to do it. Barcelona couldn't ship him out elsewhere, that's another story. Similar arrangement might be signed between Arsenal and Fenerbahce. The income tax the players pay is a lot less in Turkey than Europe (%15), which may change in the near future as mentioned by the state office. I am not sure how much Mesut Özil earns per year exactly but if it around £18M a year and if he pockets roughly 60% of that amount, it's around £10M a year. Fenerbahce, with some sponsors, might be able to pay £5-6M a year which will make Özil the highest earning player in Turkish Super League. Arsenal still needs to pay the remaining.

Last edited:

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The only teams who can afford him don't want him and the ones who might have afforded him in China will now veto him for his recent statements.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses and I think Mesut has done as much as he is likely to do here. His salary makes him a disruptive influence. It makes him difficult to drop and impossible to shift. It saw off Emery and Arteta has to take early action.

Better subsidise his move to Turkey by 2/3 million a year than have to pay 18 million a year. Forget a transfer fee, that just won't happen now.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
To be honest, he and his camp should be sued for what it seems like an intentional move to cut out one of the markets in China.

One less buyer (a grand market in this case) and it drives his price down thus hurting the parent club. as an employee of AFC and a public figure, his public statements should be in line with the club's or at least should be agreed with the club's PR team;

Such a dirty tactic, they are just forcing us to pay up his contract or make it impossible to shift him so he can pocket the remaining term of his contract by playing fortnight and hanging out with Erdogan.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
To be honest, he and his camp should be sued for what it seems like an intentional move to cut out one of the markets in China.

One less buyer (a grand market in this case) and it drives his price down thus hurting the parent club. as an employee of AFC and a public figure, his public statements should be in line with the club's or at least should be agreed with the club's PR team;

Such a dirty tactic, they are just forcing us to pay up his contract or make it impossible to shift him so he can pocket the remaining term of his contract by playing fortnight and hanging out with Erdogan.
He could’ve avoided all that drama by just.... not signing for a Chinese club. This isn’t the NBA, you can’t force a player to sign for a club.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Who do we bring in for CAM if/when he goes? January signing?
4+7 G/A already in Serie A this season, 2nd most key passes, 2nd most distance covered/90 and 2.1 dribbles/90 ( KDB: 1.5, Sterling: 2.2, Pepe: 3.1) in the league. Is an Arsenal fan also, kind of, and we’ve apparently sent scouts to watch him already.

Last edited:

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
And his behavior isnt? The return on investment ? Contracts work both ways and he certainly isn't holding up his own end too well.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
He could’ve avoided all that drama by just.... not signing for a Chinese club. This isn’t the NBA, you can’t force a player to sign for a club.
right.

He's gained nothing from the China drama and he genuinely cares about Uygurs

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
And his behavior isnt? The return on investment ? Contracts work both ways and he certainly isn't holding up his own end too well.
Riiight.
I am "sure" there are clauses in contract which prohibit players on having a free speech.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Don't kill yourself trying to patronize me.

I admit it's an assumption, but Mesut Özil has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt from the fanbase.
It just so happens that his free speech rights surface at the moment where the club is trying to move him on? great use of his time, 2000 pounds for every hour he breathes to tweet about world issues

riiiiiiiiiight. guess we are all naive then.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Don't kill yourself trying to patronize me.

I admit it's an assumption, but Mesut Özil has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt from the fanbase.
It just so happens that his free speech rights surface at the moment where the club is trying to move him on? great use of his time, 2000 pounds for every hour he breathes to tweet about world issues

riiiiiiiiiight. guess we are all naive then.
You admit an assumption and then go on to make more assumptions.
:confused:

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
right.

He's gained nothing from the China drama and he genuinely cares about Uygurs
Let’s say he doesn’t care about the Ugyurs and his intentions were purely about making a move to China impossible. What has he gained from upsetting a whole nation and making Arsenal fans dislike him even more for causing more drama when he could’ve just refused to entertain any Chinese offers quietly?

Last edited:

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
You admit an assumption and then go on to make more assumptions.
:confused:

Every argument revolves around assumptions, there's no point in going in circles about what is assumed and whether it's true or not. I actually agree with his view, regardless of whether he cares genuinely or not, China is no angel. If he were performing to the required standard the talk would be completely different, I would even commend him for it, just like any other influential figure that speaks up.

What matters is he's become a toxic figure at the club and now 3 managers in a row that haven't been able to tap into his talent, whatever is left of it.
The issue is that this conflict has been around longer than he's been alive and he couldn't have chosen the worse moment to voice his views.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Every argument revolves around assumptions, there's no point in going in circles about what is assumed and whether it's true or not. I actually agree with his view, regardless of whether he cares genuinely or not, China is no angel. If he were performing to the required standard the talk would be completely different, I would even commend him for it, just like any other influential figure that speaks up.

What matters is he's become a toxic figure at the club and now 3 managers in a row that haven't been able to tap into his talent, whatever is left of it.
The issue is that this conflict has been around longer than he's been alive and he couldn't have chosen the worse moment to voice his views.

What do you mean 3 managers?

Lmao. As if Wenger didn't get the best of him.

Bumnai destroyed everything at this club, not only Özil. Getting outshot and outplayed by bum teams.

Who's the 3rd manager? Wait, are you counting Ljungberg? :lol:

blaze_of_glory

Don't think we need to play with a number 10. We could as other have suggested play with two central midfielders in front of a defensive midfielder, in a three man setup.
Yeah, I just don't think any of our current mids are very good going forward though. We need more offence from the midfielders. Maybe Ceballos under Arteta can show more there than he has, we'll have to see.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I dare say a healthy Ramsey would have done us a world of good in such a midfield. But alas, it was not to be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom