• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matteo Guendouzi: 2019/20 Performances

How much do you love Guendouzi?

• Very much

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • Très beaucoup

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • More than my mother

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Young players are inconsistent. Fact.
He needs time just like the rest of our youth without getting thrown under the bus every time theres a bad game

I don’t even think he was bad today. It’s just clear that he needs fine tuning in both an attacking and defensive sense. I think he’ll eventually become a DM.

Reactions: roz

Tumblin'Dice

Hates Reddit
This thread is mad.

Sell Guendouzi ?

giphy.gif

GunnerShy

You don't sell Guendouzi now ffs, he's as immature as they come atm but he's got bundles of talent. A player we have to keep, there's a reason he's been called up to the French national team.
What is the talent though? Positionally most would agree he is clueless. Yes to an extent this can be taught, but he doesn't have Kante's innate sense of positioning.

Physically he is ok with the ball, but bounces off players when he doesn't have it, look at the KdB Goal or today to see his shortfalls.

Pace - he's as slow as a wet week. This will not change, this might be ok in the Spanish league, the Italian league or a lower level league like France but in the end to end high octane EPL its a grave shortfall. It won't improve. He is too slow. Look at today's winner v Chelsea.

Range of passing/technique - no good. To an extent this can/will improve but the good players have it in their locker at 20. Fabregas, Nasri had it. De Jong has it. The French El Neny just doesn't have it.

In summary, a slow battler with a limited range of passing just isn't suited to this league. Sell and move on. If Xhaka isn't good enough then Guendouzi definitely isn't.

Pepes blue pill

sven mislintat on guendouzi

‘I saw him at Lorient when the club was still in the first division. I like this club because you always find interesting players. Guendouzi stood out with his long hair and personality,’ Mislintat told De Zeit

‘But I’m also interested in the weaknesses. Can you turn it off? Matteo ran around the field inappropriately, but I knew it was just a matter of training and the time to stop that.

‘For us, the transfer of the then 18-year-old was important to show the world: We are again the old Arsenal, which gives young players a chance. ‘I need to know how to read it. Julian Weigl, for example, had only very average statistics in his time at 1860 Munich, even on the ball. ‘But that was because he was used as a so-called box-to-box player, who runs back and forth between the penalty rooms. The balls flew over him.

‘Often, young players have not yet received the necessary tactical understanding. ‘We thought: If Weigl were in the six-position before the defense with strong players used around him, he would be another player. ‘He would be able to distribute the balls, wait, balance the game. It was similar with Matteo Guendouzi.’

He is still the same player as when mislintat gave this interview, his talent is clear but he doesnt understand the game whatsoever

Gotta remember he hasnt really has someone to really coach him so far, just a dude that had no idea what he was doing, lets hope arteta can do the job as if he does, we have a massive talent on our hands

roz

Fake News Merchant
What is the talent though? Positionally most would agree he is clueless. Yes to an extent this can be taught, but he doesn't have Kante's innate sense of positioning.

Physically he is ok with the ball, but bounces off players when he doesn't have it, look at the KdB Goal or today to see his shortfalls.

Pace - he's as slow as a wet week. This will not change, this might be ok in the Spanish league, the Italian league or a lower level league like France but in the end to end high octane EPL its a grave shortfall. It won't improve. He is too slow. Look at today's winner v Chelsea.

Range of passing/technique - no good. To an extent this can/will improve but the good players have it in their locker at 20. Fabregas, Nasri had it. De Jong has it. The French El Neny just doesn't have it.

In summary, a slow battler with a limited range of passing just isn't suited to this league. Sell and move on. If Xhaka isn't good enough then Guendouzi definitely isn't.
Kante wasn't half the player at Guendouzi’s age

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

The only thing you've mentioned that he can't improve on is his pace, the rest is pretty much every sign of a young footballer player. He's 19, of course he will bulk up with age, and with age he'll become a more mature player, tactically aware and better positionally, same with coaching.

He's shown fantastic passing ability, more than once.

GunnerShy

Didn't have half the CV yes, but we've plucked a 20 year old out the French footballing wilderness and whilst he looks busy, objectively he's done SFA but showed a little bit of desire in an out of sorts midfield.

Hard to say he is twice the player Kante was at the same age because Kante wasn't gifted rolthe aopportunity of a role in the Arsenal midfield that he never earned unlike Guendouzi.

At least Kante had/has the physical attributes and the team first mentality. Look at Guendouzi for the second... It's actually disgraceful.

I've had to watch him shirk responsibility and gesticulate at other players for the last four months and I'm sick of it. He is nowhere near the level. Look at Mount by comparison.

Can someone tell me the talent they see in him?? Please!? Is it goals, assists?? Breaking up play? Or just backwards passing?

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Which is exactly why a kid like Guendouzi shouldn't be running around like a headless chicken for us, he should be doing that for Bourdoux instead.

Loan him out. Loan all youngsters out.

Vanpayslip

I still don’t see what he actually has to offer. Apart from running around like a headless chicken, he isn’t good at attacking, linking play or disrupting opposition attacking.

I can only guess he trains well which is why Emery wanted him here and couldn’t stop playing him.

GunnerShy

The only thing you've mentioned that he can't improve on is his pace, the rest is pretty much every sign of a young footballer player. He's 19, of course he will bulk up with age, and with age he'll become a more mature player, tactically aware and better positionally, same with coaching.

He's shown fantastic passing ability, more than once.

Physicality is such am important part of this league that unless you have the technique of Cazorla, it's hard to see how you overcome it.

I disagree emphatically on passing ability. If fans think Guendouzi has a fantastic passing ability then our standards and expectations have dropped from the Wenger years more drastically thanI thought. 1 assist on 50 PL games.

PS. He isn't 19.. he's 21 before the end of the season. It's an important differentiation. He'll be 17 years old before the end of the season in the eyes of his apologists. If get it off he was inconsistent and showed signs but in reality he's been consistently poor.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Physicality is such am important part of this league that unless you have the technique of Cazorla, it's hard to see how you overcome it.

I disagree emphatically on passing ability. If fans think Guendouzi has a fantastic passing ability then our standards and expectations have dropped from the Wenger years more drastically thanI thought. 1 assist on 50 PL games.

PS. He isn't 19.. he's 21 before the end of the season. It's an important differentiation. He'll be 17 years old before the end of the season in the eyes of his apologists. If get it off he was inconsistent and showed signs but in reality he's been consistently poor.

So he's only 2o? That doesn't even change my argument in the slightest, he can and will still get much better physically, positionally, tactically and mature with age, as does every single 20 year old who plays football.

Again, his passing can certainly improve but it's certainly not a weakness. His job isn't to assist either. How many assists did Jorginho have last season? That isn't their job.

And finally on consistency, tell me one Arsenal player who's been consistent since we bottled the league under Emery at the end of last season?

Guendouzi has clearly shown his quality but at the same time clearly showed his age, selling him now would be idiotic which is the point of this debate.

GunnerShy

So he's only 2o? That doesn't even change my argument in the slightest, he can and will still get much better physically, positionally, tactically and mature with age, as does every single 20 year old who plays football.

Again, his passing can certainly improve but it's certainly not a weakness. His job isn't to assist either. How many assists did Jorginho have last season? That isn't their job.

And finally on consistency, tell me one Arsenal player who's been consistent since we bottled the league under Emery at the end of last season?

Guendouzi has clearly shown his quality but at the same time clearly showed his age, selling him now would be idiotic which is the point of this debate.
I think you and I just disagree on him entirely. I think physically, he may get a little stronger but will never become an explosive player so it will always be a weakness.

His technique is poor.
It's not his job to assist? Ok, but what is his job. He is terrible defensively and offers almost nothing offensively. So really, it's hard to see how he fits into an Arsenal system. He is too slow to press effectively so i think we should cut our losses.
I hope for our sake you are right and I am wrong, but the worst course of action would be to continue to play him after poor matches like today only to cut our losses with one year left on his contract.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

I think you and I just disagree on him entirely. I think physically, he may get a little stronger but will never become an explosive player so it will always be a weakness.

His technique is poor.
It's not his job to assist? Ok, but what is his job. He is terrible defensively and offers almost nothing offensively. So really, it's hard to see how he fits into an Arsenal system. He is too slow to press effectively so i think we should cut our losses.
I hope for our sake you are right and I am wrong, but the worst course of action would be to continue to play him after poor matches like today only to cut our losses with one year left on his contract.

It's too early to sell a player who has shown so much promise since he's been here though. Cut what losses? 6M?

He's only played because of Xhaka being 'ill', he's an FA Cup/EL type of player until he grows.

GunnerShy

It's too early to sell a player who has shown so much promise since he's been here though. Cut what losses? 6M?

He's only played because of Xhaka being 'ill', he's an FA Cup/EL type of player until he grows.
Transfermarkt lists him at €50m. Would get a good midfielder for that..

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's trying his best and he's a mixed bag atm. He reminds me of Ramsey before Wenger simplified his game and got Arteta to do in match training. He may be in poor form but the higher tempo and the late Chelsea pressure wouldn't have been negated by Xhaka. I want to see what Arteta can do with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom